U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,560,611 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to live with a friend there. I am coming from Chicago, and would like to know what to expect in terms of jobs (Tech), weather (is it really miserable in the summer or not so bad), Hurricane issues and Crime (I checked some sources and see that it is a bit above average).

Also, another area I was looking at is Apopka. How is that in terms of safety as the crime stats were higher there than in Alamonte Springs.

Any information, good or bad, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm bumping up this post before it gets lost. If someone can give me some information I'd really appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:37 PM

631 posts, read 2,335,158 times
There aren't a lot of IT jobs in Altamonte, but about 7 miles north in Lake Mary there are tons. Altamonte is one of the relatively safe areas of Orlando. I know many people don't, but I prefer it. Coming from Chicago you might have culture shock as it's more akin to Downer's Grove than anything cosmopolitan.
The only bad thing I can say about it is that IT'S CROWDED. It's, IMO, the most congested area of Orlando. Traffic to or from downtown in rush hour would be 45 minutes or so. 10 in normal traffic.

Do you know what area of Altamonte you will live? There are many great places but it has it's "Ghetto" parts. I prefer west of I4.

Hurricanes: Charley did quite a bit of damage in the older neighborhoods but it was because trees were lose, etc. I dont think it would be as bad there now. Hot? Miserably, yes. But you do get used to it. I had a friend come from Chicago to visit and he passed out. However after about a year of being there I started to "freeze" when it got below 72. It's all relative.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 40,620 times
Altamonte is a blue collar town, down to earth working people, but the traffic in crazy.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Thank you blueoktober and GOLFNSKI for your information.

blueoktober, I appreciate your comparison to Downers Grove as this helps me to understand the area better. I'm not sure which part of Altamonte it will be as I need to ask my friend more questions (my concern was more about finding a job than anything else). Thanks for the Lake Mary tip; I'm going to do a job search on that.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Is there anyone else with any info? What about Apopka and South Apopka? My understanding is they are near Altamonte Springs. Are any of these areas very touristy as I see from looking at maps they are near Orlando. Any areas that I should avoid entirely?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:32 PM

8,177 posts, read 17,602,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Is there anyone else with any info? What about Apopka and South Apopka? My understanding is they are near Altamonte Springs. Are any of these areas very touristy as I see from looking at maps they are near Orlando. Any areas that I should avoid entirely?
You don't want south Apopka but Apopka proper is ok. Apopka is really a bedroom community of Orlando. While there is easy access to the attractions it is not a touristy town. It's actually considered the "Foliage Captial"
Most people who live there work in Orlando, Altamonte Springs or Lake Mary.
While I personally like Apopka, it's experiencing growing pains and the traffic thru there can be very heavy during the rush hours. It still has the small town feel to it.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:05 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,889,498 times
imo, lake mary/alt. springs > apopka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida