Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 09:53 AM

56 posts, read 190,078 times

Advertisements

what are places in Florida where I would be able to have lots of happy citrus trees in my backyard?
or even a small farm for growing citrus?
also, can citrus be grown organically?
Thanks Floridians!
love
Mark,
dreaming of a farm with citrus trees and white Arabian horses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:24 AM

558 posts, read 1,834,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmark View Post
what are places in Florida where I would be able to have lots of happy citrus trees in my backyard?
or even a small farm for growing citrus?
also, can citrus be grown organically?
Thanks Floridians!
love
Mark,
dreaming of a farm with citrus trees and white Arabian horses
Polk County, Fl is still in #1 place for citrus production. They grow extremely well here. Plenty of farm land in Polk County also.
Florida Citrus - Absolutely Florida ,

Growers Profit but Squeezed by Higher Costs | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

Old 10-18-2008, 10:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
I would suggest anyplace South of Orlando and near the east coast of Florida and North of Palm Beach. Or South West Miami-Dade, Homestead and the Redlands.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
I agree anywhere Orlando south. Believe it or not Florida will receive frost and freeze conditions. The fruit is ripe an ready for eating in the winter. I've been told that the chill will help set the sugar content of the fruit which is probably why most of the groves are in the southern zone 9 region of the state.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:58 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Hendry county is my choice, citrus is big there.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
I'm growing citrus in Duval county.

My lemons and limes are in the backyard. The fenced in yard and big oak tree help to make a microclimate of sorts.

The calomondin & kumquat will be in the front yard (still in pots), as will my orange trees when I get them.

We have a local nursery that grafts onto Flying Dragon rootstock. It's a japanese rootstock that is very cold-hardy, so that helps. I'll still probably need some insulation when we hit the really cold spells, at least for my citrus that isn't on Flying Dragon rootstock. This was an area for orange growing at one time, but those groves have been turned into developments now.

So far, I'm growing:

Meyer Lemon
Variegated Pink Lemon (Eureka)
Tahiti/Persian Lime
Nagimi Kumquat
Eustis Limequat
Calomondin

I'm also growing blackberries, turkey figs, and passionfruit .

But if you were to try and make an income from citrus, I would choose a location further south for sure .

Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Here is a link to start gathering info from. It is the state citrus experiment station. One thing that is a must is to remember sufficient irrigation water supplies is a must. Citrus is grown on sandy soil where water doesn't stay around long unless there is a shallow hard pan. As far as organic goes contact a local county ag agent in the county you choose to live in. I live in Polk county and citrus is big here. Highlands county, Indian River, St. Lucie, Hardee, Desota, Manatee, & Sarasota are good weather wise. Land prices may prohibit agriculture except as a hobby during retirement. Raising citrus is not a cheap venture in land or machinery for a grove of profitable scale.

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/map/citrus_rec.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida