Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 AM

440 posts, read 2,426,427 times

Advertisements

That really took me back .... thanks for the trip down memory lane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM

199 posts, read 219,975 times
I know it is an old post but....The original post is about 90% nonsense.....very dangerous and irresponsible. As are some of the replies.

I grew up in NJ and PA in the 1970s. That mosquito spray someone talked about running in? Check the cancer rates as a result. They have decreased the toxins in those sprays dramatically the past 30 years....and that is bad why???

Lead paints? Do some research on the effects. Why on earth would someone long for the days of lead based paints? New developments in paints have led to inexpensive, long lasting paints. What is even the point of bragging that you grew up in a room with led based paints? Why do you think the levels of autism, etc started rising 30 years ago? The accumulation of metals in our grandmothers and mothers.

Little league did not have try outs, everyone did make the team....I played it from 1969-1975 so I know. It was not until you were old enough for Babe Ruth League that it changed. In fact todays kids are segregated by talent levels and put onto elite teams. So it was much more inclusive back then....the complete opposite of what the OP said.

Aspirin? Many people bled to death from too much until they refined the formulations and the dosages. So, the OP misses those days? Um, okay.

Babies on their tummies? Sudden infant death syndrom has dropped 70% since we learned not to do that. Again...the OP makes no sense to long for the old days when we didn'tknow why infants were dying.

Parents bailed their kids out from the police when my dad was a kid in the 1940s and when I was a kid in the 1970s. It happened all the time and the local police were very corrupt. Irish cops let Irish kids go, Italians picked on the other nationalities. I know, my dad, his 4 brothers, and I all lived it and saw it.

Many kids were born with birth defects from smoking mothers. The levels of toxins in cigs back then was 10 times what it is now. Once again, ridiculous comment by the OP.

No childproof lids....my cousin died at 3 from medicine he ingested in 1972. I had my stomach pumped from ingesting a bottle of aspirin in 1968, almost died. A tiny piece of plastic would have saved him. And that is a bad improvement???

Honestly, use some brains when you post. All of us 40 somethings long for some of the past....but most of the things the OP mentions here are ridiculous.

Last edited by Sunandsand; 10-26-2007 at 08:16 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
I like the post, but don't forget those of the 50's, 60's and 70's raised the generation of today. With all our faults, perhaps the eating of blue cheese tune and cigs effects skipped a generation

Old 10-26-2007, 02:31 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
It really was a joke to make people smile--to lighten things up. You gotta know the OP. He didn't intend any harm by it, and neither did anyone who responded. Of course those things are harmful--it's a miracle we're all here to tell about it. Seriously--I don't think any harm was intended.

[quote=Sunandsand;1835540]I know it is an old post but....The original post is about 90% nonsense.....very dangerous and irresponsible. As are some of the replies.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
I agree SUNANDSAND with your post 100%. The poster is clearly suffering from alzheimers from eating all that auminum foil as a child, or maybe he/she is brain damaged from eating lead paint chips 3x a day. The reason why everything has changed from all those "wonderful" times is because all those "wonderful" times were not wonderful at all! It just took many years, knowledge and research from MULTIPLE generations to figure it out, so now we have precautions, safety, and innovation.

The original poster is ridiculous and the assertions are ludicrous. I can only wonder whether the original poster is still driving without a seat belt, telling their grandkids to ride their bikes without a helmet, and encasing their homes in lead-based everything...cause after all...those were the good times!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
It really was a joke to make people smile--to lighten things up. You gotta know the OP. He didn't intend any harm by it, and neither did anyone who responded. Of course those things are harmful--it's a miracle we're all here to tell about it. Seriously--I don't think any harm was intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
I know it is an old post but....The original post is about 90% nonsense.....very dangerous and irresponsible. As are some of the replies.
I agree Carolac!

I have read this many times and laugh with each reading!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:48 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
And let's not forget that all those lawyers and government regulators that have/are ruining everyone's lives are the baby boomers that were supposedly so great to begin with. You have yourselves to congratulate for ruining everything for everyone else...thanks.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,408 times
Way too funny ... home grown since 1968. We did all of these things and then some. Mom actually would tell us to go and get lost, and we would. Ran around the neighborhood with out shoes on, drank from sprinklers, crossed busy streets into the next neighborhood. I Live Still!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
It is quite a cute post. I will say that.. I'm afraid to see what my generations list would be like. (child of the 80's).. EEK.. First on the list

Raised to be cry babies, taught that school bullies are worth suing over, and that playing cowboys and indians is racial profiling and is suspendable by school terms.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Don't you worry young lady. My oldest daughter was born in '78 and I think the gen-xer's are brilliant!! LOL at the cowboys and indians comment. Too funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
It is quite a cute post. I will say that.. I'm afraid to see what my generations list would be like. (child of the 80's).. EEK.. First on the list

Raised to be cry babies, taught that school bullies are worth suing over, and that playing cowboys and indians is racial profiling and is suspendable by school terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: