Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 AM

50 posts, read 304,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Some of you people are truly dense.

Don't mix up the terminology. The amendment in question confused the terminology, it deserved the vote that it received.

The way out is clarity on the terminology then.

Civil unions under state law, marriage under religious bylaws.

End of drivel.
Speaking of "dense", Amendment 2 constitutionally prohibits civil unions.

While I wouldn't expect Amendment 2 supporters to be bothered by facts, truths and history, I would hope for a little honesty.

Or is honesty "drivel" too?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGringo View Post
Speaking of "dense", Amendment 2 constitutionally prohibits civil unions.

While I wouldn't expect Amendment 2 supporters to be bothered by facts, truths and history, I would hope for a little honesty.

Or is honesty "drivel" too?
Amendment 2 was absurd, it deserved the result that it received.

Again, civil unions under state law, marriage under religious bylaws.

If they write an amendment like that, it will pass in all 50 states, hands down.

End of drivel.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:23 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
don't you suppose there are an awful lot of straight athiests and agnostics who may not want the "sacred, holy, institution of marriage"? I wonder if they realize they realize this when they go down to the courthouse to sign that contract? Personally, this is why I think government should end "holy marriage" totally for these civil contracts. Issue civil unions for everybody. Leave holy matrimony for churches.

What effect do you suppose Florida's amendment will have on STRAIGHT Seniors from NJ with Domestic Parnerships? Under this amendment, their partnerships won't be recognized either. Did you know that the AARP was against this amendment? Imagine all those old folks just shacking up and living in SIN. lol This amendment was sponsored by the BAPTIST CHURCH. It is religious oriented, both for gays AND for straights. Follow OUR religion, or ELSE.

Practice your religion as you see fit. Don't force others to follow your religion by enacting legistlation.
Yeah I recognize it affects more people than just the gay community. *shrugs* I don't have a answer for you on that one. I see what you mean though. I guess later on they can fix it to do something like you have suggested with civil unions maybe?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Seeing as you're not the one with the homosexual lifestyle, then how would you ever actually support it? Hell, you're not pushing two guys together and telling them to go at it.
support/enable.... ad nauseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Some of you people are truly dense.

Don't mix up the terminology. The amendment in question confused the terminology, it deserved the vote that it received.

The way out is clarity on the terminology then.

Civil unions under state law, marriage under religious bylaws.

End of drivel.
someone needs to take a break from C.D. I think I recognize that hence my retreat from the business forum.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:42 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
'All that religious stuff' are what the Founders of this Country thought was best for future generations including ours.
Actually, Our founders built our country on freedom. They built it on the freedom of religion because they, themselves were persecuted in England. What happend ? African-Americans were enslaved and not allowed the basic freedoms as well as the right to vote which the latter was also the case for women. Gays today can't share the basic freedoms of marriage or the many benefits that come with a government recognized marriage and I won't even get into the dispute and dissagreement I have with the Wet Feet/Dry Feet policy while hundreds of thousands of Mexican immigrants are told to go home and even better, hundreds of thousands that ARE legal are tourtured by people daily because ignorant American people think they're illegal.

Basically it comes down to this and this isn't a personal attack as much as it is common sense.

If you're religious and don't like or support gay marriage as a christian, catholic, muslim, mormon, or don't like the idea of gay marriage because you don't want to see or think about it in public then that's your right to feel that way and if you believe that by not being gay and hating them and casting judgement on them will deliver you to heaven then BY ALL MEANS, feel the way you do.

However, That being said... If you think the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT, which is based and founded on the FREEDOM of religion and the freedom for basic and civil rights for all of its citizens should ban a certain creed, race, religion, gender, or sex from one of their basic freedoms then you're a moron and should have your voting privileges revoked because you have NO IDEA what this country is about.

Oh and once again, for the record... I'm not gay but I believe in Civil Rights and Freedom.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:02 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Actually, Our founders built our country on freedom. They built it on the freedom of religion because they, themselves were persecuted in England. What happend ? African-Americans were enslaved and not allowed the basic freedoms as well as the right to vote which the latter was also the case for women. Gays today can't share the basic freedoms of marriage or the many benefits that come with a government recognized marriage and I won't even get into the dispute and dissagreement I have with the Wet Feet/Dry Feet policy while hundreds of thousands of Mexican immigrants are told to go home and even better, hundreds of thousands that ARE legal are tourtured by people daily because ignorant American people think they're illegal.

Basically it comes down to this and this isn't a personal attack as much as it is common sense.

If you're religious and don't like or support gay marriage as a christian, catholic, muslim, mormon, or don't like the idea of gay marriage because you don't want to see or think about it in public then that's your right to feel that way and if you believe that by not being gay and hating them and casting judgement on them will deliver you to heaven then BY ALL MEANS, feel the way you do.

However, That being said... If you think the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT, which is based and founded on the FREEDOM of religion and the freedom for basic and civil rights for all of its citizens should ban a certain creed, race, religion, gender, or sex from one of their basic freedoms then you're a moron and should have your voting privileges revoked because you have NO IDEA what this country is about.

Oh and once again, for the record... I'm not gay but I believe in Civil Rights and Freedom.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:00 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
A couple of things about Amendment 2:

1. Is it really any suprise? Florida is not the most gay friendly state in the country. Florida is the only state to ban adoption by homosexuals under any circumstances based solely on sexual orientation. Amendment 2 passed with 63% of the vote, had more than 50% in every county except Monroe, and had as high as 84% or more in certain counties.

2. I wouldn't hold your breath about the US Supreme Court ruling this unconstitutional. Regulating marriage is a right inherently given to states, unlike Lawrence v. Texas (criminal laws are not allowed to discriminate at any level of gov't), or Roe v Wade (abortion laws are not inherently given to the states). I don't see this issue going beyond a state Supreme Court anytime soon.

3. I would be more worried about Cali's Prop 8. A very liberal state that generally is very friendly to gays with almost every public official opposing it and where it was legal for half a year.... yet it passes anyway. The fact that Cali would pass it is far more suprising than Florida simply turning exiting laws into a Constitutional Amendment to put the issue beyond the reach of judges.

4. I tend to be very conservative, however I probably could have been swayed to vote for allowing gay marriage .... if I hadn't been called "hater" or "homophobe" or "discriminator" or something of that nature when I said I was undecided.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:48 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
4. I tend to be very conservative, however I probably could have been swayed to vote for allowing gay marriage .... if I hadn't been called "hater" or "homophobe" or "discriminator" or something of that nature when I said I was undecided.
So you let someone calling you names determine how you voted ?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
just curious as to how many Floridians will vote for this hateful Amendment come Novemeber 4th.

This isn't even about Gay marriage anymore but the ability of couples who aren't married to make deciscions regarding healthcare and if they can even visit them in the hospital.
Voted against it. I'm thinkin that I have not yet been given the proxy to be the judge of others.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGringo View Post
Where else do you think your opinion should have the force of law?
What else is law going to be? Whether the opinions that become codified as laws are simple or complex, ham-handed or subtle, selfish or empathic, they're all still opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida