Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
We are NOT in 1998.
Yes, "recently" is not an exact synonym for "right now", believe it or not. So you'd say that Lakeland has undergone some major changes in just 10 years that makes it really crappy now, I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
I thought Lakeland was a lot crappier in 1998...

Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have lived in various places in the southwest central region of Florida; including Dade City (35 mi NE of Tampa), Tampa, Sarasota and Lakeland. Dade City gets the coolest overall, it can often be 10 degrees cooler than Tampa in spring, and at least a few degrees cooler in the summer. It also has the lowest lows. I did not find it to be hotter there in summer being inland, due to the fact it has many hills, lakes and woods.

Tampa is the hottest, there is so much conrete and cars there it heats up the atmosphere, and there is no real seabreeze to counteract.

Sarasota is warm but there are breezes near the Gulf Coast. It is more humid overall there due to proximity of the coast, if you can live fairly near the coast the climate is pretty nice if a bit hot in the summer.

Lakeland has a beautiful climate where we live. It is the most inland, but here in the city core there are hills, numerous lakes and a heavy tree canopy which provide coolness and breezes. It is less humid than near the coast, and night time lows are lower than the coast (which I personally like). The weather is similar to southern California much of the year in my particular area. However, there are microclimates here and in all the other places I have lived - if you are in a hot, flat paved area in Florida, it might feel like hell in the summer.

These are my experiences and I hope this info helped!
I can tell you like Lakeland a lot and...good for you. Comparing Lakeland, Fla to southern California seems really strange. I've been to both areas and frankly, they seem so different from the weather to the people. Especially the people!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
It was recently known to some folks as one of the best places to live: Lakeland travel guide

Makes sense that different people have different opinions though.
Tampa was once voted as an " All American " City, You've seen what people have to say about Hillsborough...

In my personal experiences, Lakeland was a little diverse but the rest of the county ( Lake Wales, Auburndale, Bartow, Winter Haven, Frost Proof, ect, ect ) lack a diverse population and are mostly " bubbas "

I've met more redneckish people in Polk County then ALL of Tennessee.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Oh yeah, and btw, the Hottest city in all of Florida belongs to Hendry and Glades Counties and goes to the town of La Belle.

It's like living in hell in more ways than one...

Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,942 times
Friendliest county?
Lake
-
Most surprising pleasant county on the East Coast?
Martin (it's next to Palm Beach but emotionally closer to Georgia. Was still fighting fluoride in the municipal water last year and no buildings taller than four stories in the entire county.)
-
Most money?
Dade (forget what city-data says on this one, just trust me on this one)
-

Old 11-15-2008, 04:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I can tell you like Lakeland a lot and...good for you. Comparing Lakeland, Fla to southern California seems really strange. I've been to both areas and frankly, they seem so different from the weather to the people. Especially the people!
The only thing she compared between the 2 was the weather and some inland areas if southern Cali are similar in temp year round but maybe a little drier.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:42 AM

727 posts, read 1,836,658 times
"In my personal experiences, Lakeland was a little diverse but the rest of the county ( Lake Wales, Auburndale, Bartow, Winter Haven, Frost Proof, ect, ect ) lack a diverse population and are mostly " bubbas "

I've met more redneckish people in Polk County then ALL of Tennessee."

Hell yeah! That's old Florida for you! Wish there was more bubbas and less ..... nevermind.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:45 AM

727 posts, read 1,836,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Friendliest county?
Lake
-
Most surprising pleasant county on the East Coast?
Martin (it's next to Palm Beach but emotionally closer to Georgia. Was still fighting fluoride in the municipal water last year and no buildings taller than four stories in the entire county.)
-
Most money?
Dade (forget what city-data says on this one, just trust me on this one)
-
Dade has the most money? If they have the most money (or should I say a few ppl with lots of it) than the other 1/3 of the population in poverty, and the other 1/3 trying to get the hell out counteracts it.

How about Pam Bch? Jupiter Island, Palm Bch, etc...?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Hell yeah! That's old Florida for you! Wish there was more bubbas and less ..... nevermind.
Yeah, we all know your opinion, likes, and dislikes.

What you love about Florida was one of the things that drove me away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida