Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I deem Florida a great place for retirees on the basis of the best combination of factors. Gated communities are very common here which provide safety and peace of mind for seniors, as well as peace and quiet.
Not all of us want that, though. We're in our mid-to-late 50s, and looking to relocate when I retire next year. Sure, safety is desirable -- but we want a larger piece of property than the 5000 sq feet we have now in NJ (we want room for our dogs to run, and being gardeners, we want plenty of room for roses), and we don't want to pay maintenance fees for features we'll never use (cable, property maintenance, clubhouse, tennis courts, etc.). We don't want someone else coming in and cutting our grass or telling us how we have to landscape the front of our home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 05:35 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'm a SW Florida native and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The worst thing about Florida is the job situation but that's the case everywhere. It's almost always warm here, you can go to the beaches year 'round, the schools are great (at least where my children attend), the people are friendly (for the most part).

What's not to like?

What about easily some of the worse politicians in N.America ?
Tens if not hundreds of millions missing from funds every year and what gets done in some cities in a month takes 10 yrs here to do.

Who would have been kicked out of office loooooooooooong time ago if it wasnt for fact they are Cuban/Hispanic.
That is the problem with S.Florida but yes weather is great and private schools are great like most private schools in most states.

Considering 60 million dollars is missing from public school this year .I Imagine your kids are in private school.

S.Florida could be paradise with a whole new set of politicians

Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Not all of us want that, though. We're in our mid-to-late 50s, and looking to relocate when I retire next year. Sure, safety is desirable -- but we want a larger piece of property than the 5000 sq feet we have now in NJ (we want room for our dogs to run, and being gardeners, we want plenty of room for roses), and we don't want to pay maintenance fees for features we'll never use (cable, property maintenance, clubhouse, tennis courts, etc.). We don't want someone else coming in and cutting our grass or telling us how we have to landscape the front of our home.
Same here. I can't really say that I'd never live in a condo, a housing development with an HOA, etc.--it would depend on whether it's the only option I can afford close to something I really want to be close to--but I sure as heck try to avoid them. I do not feel unsafe anywhere in the United States outside of a gated community, and I do not want the rules and personalities that come with most HOAs.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Same here. I can't really say that I'd never live in a condo, a housing development with an HOA, etc.--it would depend on whether it's the only option I can afford close to something I really want to be close to--but I sure as heck try to avoid them. I do not feel unsafe anywhere in the United States outside of a gated community, and I do not want the rules and personalities that come with most HOAs.
That's how we feel about HOA's, too. I've been told that they protect your property values, but politics can rear its ugly head anywhere.

I talked about HOAs with a representative of Adams Homes -- they build some of their homes in Deer Path (Ocala), which has a fairly limited HOA ($108/year, to support the roadway in, the community sign, and water-retention areas). It sounds reasonable, but we're still unsure -- you can fence your back yard with a 6-ft privacy fence, but have to get permission to fence in your front yard, for instance.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:23 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Thats how my parents felt. We find now, thats how we feel. But, I do love florida. The weather is ideal to me. I am one who doesn't mind hot summers. Plus, the best thing is warm winters. Swimming, one Christmas Eve, reminded me how much I enjoy the state. Having a family of ocean and water lovers draws us to the warm climate, and waters of florida.
I didn't mind reasonable maintenance fees. We did own a condo once in Florida that was well run, and very neat.......it also had low fees. Some of the fees I saw elsewhere were out of control.

I've lived in two places with rules, and it was like walking on egg shells quite often. Not too much fun for guests or family members who would visit. Full timers had more rights It just didn't seem like fun after awhile.
It just always feels better to be on ones own lot. Doing the things you love to do without someone stopping you........
Granted the no junk, no laundry in the front yard......is always a good idea.
Our street here has about 10 rules to take care of that......

The dogs can run and have fun on your own property.

When we stay in a gated, ruled ,community.......there are complaints if we put one dog out on a rope for 5 minutes because it is pouring rain. We're standing right at the glass door. Yet, a complaint comes in.........
Dog on its own outside??? That reminds me. I don't want to buy in a gated, ruled community. Freedom is good...

Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
That's how we feel about HOA's, too. I've been told that they protect your property values, but politics can rear its ugly head anywhere.
I agree that they can help protect home values--it's just that that doesn't make them attractive to me. There are other things far more important to me than ensuring that the value of my home isn't affected by the actions of others.

Here's something else that could protect property values--if the federal government enacted a law that regardless of other facts, anyone who buys a property MUST pay more for the property than the previous owner paid, where that is also adjusted for inflation. I bet more people would object to that, even though it would protect property values. So most folks probably agree that some things are more important than protecting investments. There comes a point for just about everyone where ethics and human liberties are more important than money, even if those folks usually act as if money and personal benefit are their deities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida