Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 PM

195 posts, read 741,330 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to live in South Lakeland, Florida? Is the crime rate high over there?
Please give me some ideas! Which area is the safest in South Lakeland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
Is it safe to live in South Lakeland, Florida? Is the crime rate high over there?
Downtown southside and south Lakeland in general has some very nice areas. It all depends what you are looking for (development or older area). Very clean, family oriented, nice.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:27 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
You can check the crime maps via theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL >>> News >>> Crime/Justice .

Old 10-28-2008, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 30,448 times
Default Buying in Lakeland

Hi Everyone,
I apologize, but I don't know how to start a new thread (if that option is available). My husband and I were recently in Lakeland visiting a relative. We really liked the area given its proximity to Tampa and Orlando and are considering possible relocation from NJ in the future. We actually went out with a realtor to look at some homes. We really liked South Lakeland. We saw a few homes in the Grasslands community and also in Bridgefield (?) which is not a gated community. My question is this: Where would folks recommend to buy a home for up to $450K, possibly a gated community? There has to be a good school system as well as shopping nearby. We have a 1 year-old and are in our early 30s. I would also welcome activities that are family-friendly. Also, how diverse is the area? We are of Hispanic origin and living in a multicultural community is important to us. Thank you!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:57 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLora View Post
Hi Everyone,
I apologize, but I don't know how to start a new thread (if that option is available). My husband and I were recently in Lakeland visiting a relative. We really liked the area given its proximity to Tampa and Orlando and are considering possible relocation from NJ in the future. We actually went out with a realtor to look at some homes. We really liked South Lakeland. We saw a few homes in the Grasslands community and also in Bridgefield (?) which is not a gated community. My question is this: Where would folks recommend to buy a home for up to $450K, possibly a gated community? There has to be a good school system as well as shopping nearby. We have a 1 year-old and are in our early 30s. I would also welcome activities that are family-friendly. Also, how diverse is the area? We are of Hispanic origin and living in a multicultural community is important to us. Thank you!
Hi there - did your realtor give you any advice? The areas you were looking are fine communities and a nice place to live. Grasslands is right next to Lakeside Village, our beautiful open-air mall. To me, the south side of Lakeland is the best. There is a good bit of diversity in Lakeland, mostly in the core of the city. I myself am part Spanish, and in my southside downtown neighborhood we have a mix of ethnic cultures including African, Hispanic and Asian. I can't say what the mix is like in various gated communities, I think it will depend.

As far as I know the schools on the southside are good, there again, your realtor should be able to guide you. There are a lot of nice recreational opportunities in this town, lovely parks and a recreation center, and many festivals downtown. It is community oriented and family friendly.

If you have specific questions, feel free to send me a direct message on this board.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,349 times
Hi All....
I think I may be south Lakeland's newest resident and I can't say enough positive about it. My husband and I came sight unseen to take a new job and couldn't be happier. We love Lakeland and are looking forward to making our home here! Will be glad to answer any questions you might have from my "newcomer's" perspective.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
There are many beautiful homes south and west of Lakeland. I have a cousin in Oakbridge and it seems very secure family oriented.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:40 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
If you live in South Lakeland, you're almost guaranteed to be raped and/or murdered.

Wait, that can't be right. Lots of people live there, so they haven't been murdered. Plus, plenty of them have lived there for a long time. Also, most of them haven't been raped. It must be safe for most folks.

Probably, just like anywhere else, your safety largely depends on your actions. If you choose to do things like deal drugs, join a gang, sell illegal weapons, etc., you've just decreased the likelihood that you'll be safe. If you harass drug dealers or gang members at 3:00 a.m. in a deserted alley when you see them, that might not be a good idea. If you walk around some areas looking like you're wealthy AND lost/scared, that's probably not a good idea. And so on. --it's also not a good idea to really aggravate a friend or relative who might be volatile, as a large percentage of crime involes folks who know each other well. Of course, you can't always tell what friend or relative might snap, and that hardly depends on where you live.

It's not that random crimes never happen, where you didn't make any bad decisions, and where you just can't do anything about it, but that's not most crime, and that kind of random-target crime can happen anywhere. Probably as often as not, it stems from the perpetrator having mental problems, and mental problems just aren't limited to people in particular geographic areas. In places where socio-economic factors lead to higher crime rates instead, you'll generally be safe unless you put yourself in the middle of the high-crime social groupings or behave in a way that amounts to putting an "I'm an easy victim" sign over your head.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
If you live in South Lakeland, you're almost guaranteed to be raped and/or murdered.

Wait, that can't be right. Lots of people live there, so they haven't been murdered. Plus, plenty of them have lived there for a long time. Also, most of them haven't been raped. It must be safe for most folks.

Probably, just like anywhere else, your safety largely depends on your actions. If you choose to do things like deal drugs, join a gang, sell illegal weapons, etc., you've just decreased the likelihood that you'll be safe. If you harass drug dealers or gang members at 3:00 a.m. in a deserted alley when you see them, that might not be a good idea. If you walk around some areas looking like you're wealthy AND lost/scared, that's probably not a good idea. And so on. --it's also not a good idea to really aggravate a friend or relative who might be volatile, as a large percentage of crime involes folks who know each other well. Of course, you can't always tell what friend or relative might snap, and that hardly depends on where you live.

It's not that random crimes never happen, where you didn't make any bad decisions, and where you just can't do anything about it, but that's not most crime, and that kind of random-target crime can happen anywhere. Probably as often as not, it stems from the perpetrator having mental problems, and mental problems just aren't limited to people in particular geographic areas. In places where socio-economic factors lead to higher crime rates instead, you'll generally be safe unless you put yourself in the middle of the high-crime social groupings or behave in a way that amounts to putting an "I'm an easy victim" sign over your head.
Thank you for answering my question!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Downtown southside and south Lakeland in general has some very nice areas. It all depends what you are looking for (development or older area). Very clean, family oriented, nice.
Thank you for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida