Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 AM
 
32 posts, read 91,958 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

As my name implies it is time for me to be realistic and try to find what I need and can actually afford. This board has been helpful in the past so I'm hoping you can help me out with ideas.

Situation: Will probably lose our home because of career change.

Family: Family of 3 including one toddler, 1 dog, 2 cats.

What I would like in a town:

1. Walkability would be awesome.

2. Someplace that has apartments (not expensive) in the middle of a downtown area. A downtown area that is thriving not someplace scary and lonely! If not downtown someplace where we wouldn't be isolated by acres of land.

3. We have 2 cars but if it is possible to get places by a efficient bus system that would be great.

4. Someplace that has jobs in entry-level medical facility such as a hospital. We would hope to work someplace with good health insurance even if it means taking a cleaning position or something like that.

5. Someplace that has events or activities that don't cost a lot.

6. Someplace that has parks or outdoor activities.

7. Someplace with a "Main Street" that is nice to visit.

8. We are not picky about where in Florida. In Central Florida would be a plus but we aren't in a position to be choosey.

9. Someplace that does not have high-crime or a lot of sex offenders.

10. Someplace that is great for our child to grow up in.

I'm not sure that there is a place like this out there but I sure hope so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 AM
 
5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Reputation: 1614
Try Tallahassee:
One moment please... (http://www.visittallahassee.com/visitor_information/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2008, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Venice Florida
1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
Reputation: 881
I think you might look into Venice. The dog/cat will make the apartment hunt a bit challenging. I've never checked to see if the apartment district properties have pet restrictions. There are numerous apartment and duplexes on the Island, The hospital and many doctors offices are in walking distance from anywhere on the Island.
Sarasota county has mass transit, though I have not used it.
The beach is free, we have numerous street fairs and shows. Live concerts, and holiday parades. The elementary school is on the island, so very walkable or an easy drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM
 
7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Reputation: 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToStartOver View Post
As my name implies it is time for me to be realistic and try to find what I need and can actually afford. This board has been helpful in the past so I'm hoping you can help me out with ideas.

Situation: Will probably lose our home because of career change.

Family: Family of 3 including one toddler, 1 dog, 2 cats.

What I would like in a town:

1. Walkability would be awesome.

2. Someplace that has apartments (not expensive) in the middle of a downtown area. A downtown area that is thriving not someplace scary and lonely! If not downtown someplace where we wouldn't be isolated by acres of land.

3. We have 2 cars but if it is possible to get places by a efficient bus system that would be great.

4. Someplace that has jobs in entry-level medical facility such as a hospital. We would hope to work someplace with good health insurance even if it means taking a cleaning position or something like that.

5. Someplace that has events or activities that don't cost a lot.

6. Someplace that has parks or outdoor activities.

7. Someplace with a "Main Street" that is nice to visit.

8. We are not picky about where in Florida. In Central Florida would be a plus but we aren't in a position to be choosey.

9. Someplace that does not have high-crime or a lot of sex offenders.

10. Someplace that is great for our child to grow up in.

I'm not sure that there is a place like this out there but I sure hope so....

Tallahassee.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Palm Island and North Port
7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Reputation: 2879
I would agree with FLBob on suggesting Venice and all of his points. The only thing that might be a deterrent to Venice is the fact that the average age is around 68. Since you mentioned having a little one I wanted to point that out.

If that's not a concern then Venice might be a good fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM
 
541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
Reputation: 440
Celebration

http://www.celebration.fl.us/towninfo.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Reputation: 2423
Since everyone is recommending their home towns, I'm going to recommend Weston. Actually, I would never have the audacity to recommend Weston to you. I suggest Tallahassee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM
 
47 posts, read 304,532 times
Reputation: 43
LOL

(i do not recommend the Ft Myers area, where i live, id scratch it off the list, no walkability, little culture, poor school system. coconut grove in miami is GREAT but costly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Since everyone is recommending their home towns, I'm going to recommend Weston. Actually, I would never have the audacity to recommend Weston to you. I suggest Tallahassee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Venice Florida
1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I would agree with FLBob on suggesting Venice and all of his points. The only thing that might be a deterrent to Venice is the fact that the average age is around 68. Since you mentioned having a little one I wanted to point that out.

If that's not a concern then Venice might be a good fit for you.
The statistic is median age of 68. Which means that half the population is younger than 68 the other half is older.

While some people may have prejudices against the elderly, I see the fact that this area has an elderly population as a positive. It reflects the quality of life we have here in Venice. The quality of life that attracts retirees and families, the quality of life that helps to promote an active friendly neighborhood.
If your looking for a neighborhood where people talk to one another. Where people look out for one another. Where men and women and children feel comfortable walking the streets and the beach then Venice may be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
 
7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Reputation: 3241
Well there isn't much in the way of decent public transportation anywhere in Florida really...you can ride the bus if you like, and sit next to the guy from that Jethro Tull song...

But at least Tallahassee is green and dotted with parks all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top