Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:32 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
We just have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't dare buy something that old and especially that's not in an community with an HOA. It would probably be a dump and surrounded by just the same. Why do people want higher property values? Hmmm.. that's strangest question I've come across regarding owning a home. I fiind all those older homes to be really ugly.

And I LIKE it all uniform and looking nice and neat in a community. So do lots of other people or they wouldn't be buying in those communities.

Perfect example of why an HOA is needed- yesterday I drove past a neighborhood (older) and there was a blue house that stuck out like a sore thumb. The color was so bright, almost flourescent. It was horrible. I would not want that as my neighbor and in an HOA neighborhood it wouldn't be allowed.

Why are HOA'S? needed? Because some people have no common sense when it comes to what they do to their home and the neighborhood.
No matter how "ugly" a home may look, the fact that it exists means there's freedom there, and that's more valuable than a monochromatic color scheme. So the neighbor's house is blue SO WHAT!! I like areas with ROOM and plenty of ACERAGE so you have the space to express yourself. You can look out at nature and don't have to look at the cars on blocks across the street, if something's not to your taste you don't have to look at it. When I drive through Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and other areas i look at the new developments and feel sick. Row after row of sameness, how awful. And they will be locked in the same style, as you see 80's style homes in HOA communities looking their decade....YUCK! Then you drive through an area like southwest ranches, no HOA and plenty of space, you may see one run down house then a mansion. It's one of the most expensive areas, and no HOA. Across the road a neghborhood in Cooper City with repressive zoning and HOA sits in the 1980's, never to change. It's not worth as much as the "free for all" area across the road either.

in Florida older homes had more land, and over the years different styles are built. With a HOA you're trapped in an area that can never change with the times, it's boring. You pay to suffer, that's the whole story.

Don't you realize that low property values mean less taxes ..DUH!!! Also the less a property is worth the easier it is to buy. I guess people are stupid enough to want to pay more for mortgage, taxes, insurance, ETC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

Don't you realize that low property values mean less taxes ..DUH!!! Also the less a property is worth the easier it is to buy. I guess people are stupid enough to want to pay more for mortgage, taxes, insurance, ETC.
Don't you realize that most of those homes are run down, ugly and like shacks! No thanks. Not interested. Of course they are cheaper and easier to buy, because they don't have much value and are not very desirable.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. That's why there are still places with really nice, clean, uniform communities and then there are the "anything goes" old neighbhorhoods with old dumpy homes. To each his own....but give me the newer home in a community with matching colors! I wouldn't even consider the other type, too dumpy for my tastes.

And what's wrong with a blue house? It wasn't blue...it was like a flourescent blue! And it looked ridiculous! Sticking out like a sore thumb. Yuck!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:57 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,453 times
Ok, we get it. Some people like living in HOA communities; others do not. I have no fundemental objection to either. It's sort of like arguing about whether you buy generic products or only name brand products - it's your money, buy whatever makes you happiest!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Ok, we get it. Some people like living in HOA communities; others do not. I have no fundemental objection to either. It's sort of like arguing about whether you buy generic products or only name brand products - it's your money, buy whatever makes you happiest!
Exactly! Some people like the stricter HOA communities, I'm one of them. That doesn't mean I think all communities should be that way. I think there should be some that aren't for those that prefer to live in the other type of neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:23 PM

232 posts, read 886,536 times
First of all let me reply by saying that I do find many older homes very beautiful. My parents live in an older community. The problem I have is when it becomes so bad that it looks like a garbage dump site and a junk yard. As stated before, when we do go to sell it is going to hurt us. We have had several realtors come and review our home only to say..you have a very beautiful home here BUT it is going to be difficult to sell due to your neighbor. Actually, his property is not the biggest problem I even have, it is the other things I mentioned from the meth lab, stealing and everything else. Noone should have to be worried about leaving for vacation due to their home possibly being broken in. We also pay 1500 yr in taxes for what??? I am all for self expression but there has to be a common ground and common sense. The snakes here in the summer especially are really bad and with children that is a major concern for me due to all the junk. Last year we killed several along our ditch line that had come across. Hopefully when we put our home up for sell we will have people come look that are as open minded as some of the posters on this site then we wont have a problem selling.

As far as taxes goes they base our taxes on your home and your property and can compare it to other homes within a 10 mile radius so regardless what is next door or even down the street all they have to do is find one house comparable to yours and there ya go with an increase.

I wish my neighbor just had a fluorescent blue house!!! LOL instead of a egg shaped camper painted camoflauge and partially torn down house in the front yard along with parts of his burnt trailer!!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Personally I like junk yards, they are a good place to find parts for old cars like mine. If someone makes me a good deal on a home with plenty of land and low taxes, for a good price I will buy it regardless of neighboring properties. As for being broken in, I am very good at designing burglar-proof homes. WOW my taxes were 1500 only a few years ago! Give me the junky neighbors if you can lower my taxes to that again!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post

And what's wrong with a blue house? It wasn't blue...it was like a flourescent blue!
HAHA! I'd take flourescent blue anyday over that putrid flamingo pink that seems sooooo popular!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Give me the junky neighbors if you can lower my taxes to that again!
See, I disagree. While I think taxes needed to be lowered I am not willing to live in a junky neighborhood for lower taxes. There's got to be a happy medium somewhere.

I hate to say it tallrick, but from reading your posts it sounds like you are the very type of homeowner I try to avoid and don't want to live near. I think HOA's were invented because of you (and others like you). And I'm glad they were!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:56 AM

232 posts, read 886,536 times
ARRRGGGGG!!!! Woke up this morning and DH went out to get mail and guess what????? Our trash cans (You know the big green kind with wheels and lids that are plastic?) Well, someone helped themselves to them last night...How desperate can you be to steal someones trashcans???? GEEZ.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
Absolutely NOT TRUE. Time to find a new realtor.

If you are moving into a gated upscale development, then it is in one's interest to have a HOA to protect property values. I live in an area (Weston, FL) of mostly HOA's with a few small enclaves without and we fall into the latter. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida