Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM

12 posts, read 87,180 times

Advertisements

I know there are rules in The Villages in regards to children under the age of 19 years old. But are there actual Florida laws that can uphold this "rule". We have been told that there are several children under age that live within. We also know there are certain "family villages", however we have just bought a home there. Now with the economy the way it is, we think we should only have one home and we love it there. However, we have a 10 year old son.

Does anyone know the true legal issues?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,244 times
I know they have a good school district but I don't know about child resistant laws there.
BTW...you'll need a golf cart to get around in The Villages. Everyone does.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM

Yes I believe that the Charter School is for children of the employees of The Villages. If you do not work for the villages, your kids can not attend. This is another issue. I don't think charter schools should be funded at all with State tax dollars if not all of the children can attend. Anyway, back to the topic. I am hoping someone knows something.

Thanks again for trying. Golf cart we have!! But you can use a car as well.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
You are not going to like my position but here goes anyway.

Why would you buy in a RETIREMENT village, know that it was designed for people 55 and older, then want to move in a 10 year old?
While I think the Villages are great for RETIRED people and understand the plight of trying to keep two houses, I lose my sympathy for those who do what you want to do.
It's like buying a house by an airport then complaining about the noise of the planes.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:37 PM

268 posts, read 889,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillagesFL View Post
I know there are rules in The Villages in regards to children under the age of 19 years old. But are there actual Florida laws that can uphold this "rule". We have been told that there are several children under age that live within. We also know there are certain "family villages", however we have just bought a home there. Now with the economy the way it is, we think we should only have one home and we love it there. However, we have a 10 year old son.

Does anyone know the true legal issues?
I used to live down the road from the Villages and there are now huge areas that have been developed where families can buy. I personally wouldn't live there...old people and Lincoln towncars is a scarey thing when they can no longer turn their necks.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 PM

I LOVE it there....actually my husband is older than I am....not quite a retirement age...but has done well enough to do so....they also have a GREAT school....and would love for my boy to go there....

I don't mind your response in regards to WHY we would want to live there....my answer is simple....my husband can golf everyday....we can go just about everywhere by golf cart....they have a great school....and there are LESS kids there.....the less the better these days...not that my son is better than others, but as they all say down there....they live in a bubble....I like the bubble concept!!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,254 times
Did Erik Estrada market land in The Villages?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Did Erik Estrada market land in The Villages?

No but I have seen his commercial.....LOL...not the same place!!! I promise!!1

Old 11-01-2008, 06:58 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
You need to check with the HOA regulations for your house. I don't believe there is a state law to protect you. There was a family in a 55+ nabe on the west coast who had to take custody of their 5 yo granddaughter or she would have ended up in foster care. They were told by the HOA they had to get rid of her or move. It was all over the news in Tampa and they had no recourse except to sell their house. IIRC they only gave them something like 30 days too.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:19 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
I agree with Keeper.
We have a home in another 55+ community about 13 miles south of The Villages. We visit there quite often.

I'd have to side with Kali's Grandma here. When you bought your home in The Villages, you agreed to the HOA rules. It would not be fair to your son, or the other residents to fight the very rule that makes the Villages what it is......a one of a kind place for adults.

You have a few options. I'm not sure what the exact rules you have, but I think kids can live there up to 30 days a year.....and can live there full time at 19 years of age.

You can keep the home as a 2nd home to visit.

You can rent it out to recoup your costs.

You can sell, although this is NOT a good time to try.....

I understand that the "free golf" is only on the executive courses, and you pay a large CDD fee in addition to your HOA fees......You may want to consider moving out of The Villages to a more "multi-age" community close by and still enjoy all that central Florida offers.

I guess I'm baffled as to how you thought you can buy a home there and get around this little snag.....

Even if you did try to fight this "rule" you agreed to, how do you think you would be treated by others there, who would perceive your "fight" as a threat to there lifestyle? They paid dearly for that lifestyle you want to change.......

I remember the story Keeper wrote about. In THAT situation, some felt pity for those people, because the situation was forced upon them....in your case it was not, and I doubt you would find much support.

The Villages has a local forum there, where you would surely get some info.....you can google it....that would be an interesting thread to read.....

Perhaps you can move to the "employee/family section".....one of you may need to become an employee to do it....I'm not sure......the answers you get should be interesting.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida