U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 12:52 PM

320 posts, read 1,068,102 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 and I'll be with my girlfriend. We're driving down from NJ. We're going to look at a couple of grad schools and scout out some areas for possible relocation in a year or so. We plan on seeing:

Clearwater
St. Petersburg
Bradenton
Sarasota
Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
Vero Beach

We don't have much else planned besided checking the area out and laying on the beach. Any suggestions on anything to see, like parks, resturants, attractions, bars, clubs, etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,798,340 times
About an hour from Bradenton is an attraction that is a must see. It is called Solomon's Castle. A man built the entire place and everything in it from used pieces and parts. It is an amazing place. The builder lives onsite, and you can even poke your head into his workshop.

The Ringling Museum in Sarasota is also pretty awesome.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:59 PM

489 posts, read 1,930,625 times
Definitely agree with above post concerning Sarasota. Also see St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota. When in St. Pete, drive up Gulf Boulevard beginning from The Don Cesar (Pass A Grille/St. Pete Beach area - the BEST beach in my opinion) and drive north on Gulf Boulevard to see "beachy" areas in between St. Pete all the way through to Clearwater. Along this drive, you can check out the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary on Gulf Blvd. (find it on the web), that is if you like birds. Also, there are some pretty good restaurants along there. Do visit downtown St. Pete, the St. Pete Pier, and North Shore Park. If you like the outdoors, visit Sawgrass Park and Boyd Hill Nature Park while in St. Pete. Also check out on the web concerning parks of Pinellas County; there are so many. Sarasota is very nice, too. Since you're going to be over on the other coast of FL (east), do visit Delray Beach. Their downtown was so cute and quaint. A real sense of community there - reminded me of the good vibes that I experienced while residing in St. Petersburg. Feel free to PM me with any other questions. I lived in St. Petersburg for five years and am returning as soon as possible. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:34 PM

200 posts, read 841,764 times
We love eating at Los Ranchos Steak House when we go over to Miami. They have a website:
www.losranchossteakhouse.com
delicious food!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,696,972 times
Swim with the manatees of course. I live about 1 hour north of Tampa in Citrus County and swimming with the manatees is so big right now as there are hundreds gathered around the warm spring waters up here. It's really cool if you can do it once. there are boats that will take you out to them and of course wet suits for you so you won't freeze but you really can get right in there with them all and swim with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida