U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 06:55 AM

29 posts, read 119,791 times

Advertisements

Well after one year (almost to the day), hundreds of houses seen, a weary realtor who thought we'd never buy (I'm guessing, he never let on), thousands spent on traveling down there, we did it! We found a house that is perfect for our family. In all of our excitement, we contracted on Tuesday, got a fast appraisal, fast underwriter and closed 3 days later on Friday with one of the best rates available!

Now we are back in the cold (though it was up in the 40's yesterday, -5 a week or so ago) and calling movers and investigating moving ourselves.

I'm wondering of those that moved a couple things:
1. How much weight did you move, how much were you estimated to have, and how much did you really have? And how big was your house that you moved from?
2. If we rent a Penske truck and drive ourselves, are we required to stop at weigh stations?

All (well OK, most) of our stuff is in a 10x30 storage unit as we sold our home 6 months ago; we have 2 companies who based on a list we gave them estimated our weight at 15,000 pounds and one other company estimated it at 12,000 pounds.

Being a cheap, likes to have a budget, doesn't mind calculated risks but hates surprises and did I mention cheap kinda guy; I really don't like that we are paying per pound on a move and the best anyone can do is guess. They told me that they'd bring out a 26ft truck and if we needed a 2nd one to fit all of our stuff then they'd bring another truck and all we'd have to pay is per pound. That makes zero sense to me... I would think we'd be paying per truck. Also I don't really like the idea of some of my stuff going on a shared truck with someone elses stuff.

Thank you to everyone in this community for the endless amounts of information I've gleened since I found this site, it has been very helpful.

Gidddyup
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,747,852 times
Wow! Congrats, giddyup. And best of luck. Where did you buy?

SOrry I can't help you with the mover thing, since we aren't moving till Sept.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 AM

Thank you

We bought in the SE side of Ocala.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,896,383 times
great news
welcome to Florida

karla

Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 AM

436 posts, read 1,259,868 times
Congratulations. How exciting for you. I will be in Florida soon enough too.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 AM

99 posts, read 521,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
Being a cheap, likes to have a budget, doesn't mind calculated risks but hates surprises and did I mention cheap kinda guy; I really don't like that we are paying per pound on a move and the best anyone can do is guess. They told me that they'd bring out a 26ft truck and if we needed a 2nd one to fit all of our stuff then they'd bring another truck and all we'd have to pay is per pound. That makes zero sense to me... I would think we'd be paying per truck. Also I don't really like the idea of some of my stuff going on a shared truck with someone elses stuff.
Gidddyup
Check out this site: http://www.movingscam.com/

Check out ABF. You pack your own stuff and they just drive it to your destination. You can save a lot of money like this but expect to take some responsibility for things that might break along the way. Since they are basically a trucking company, your load will be listed as "general freight".

Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 5,191,034 times
It's been a long time since I hired a mover, but here's how it worked then: The mover gives you an estimate based on weight. This is just for budgetary purposes; to give you an idea how much to expect to pay. You can also compare one mover's rates to another on a per pound rate by doing some math.

The actual rate you pay will have nothing to do with the estimates; it is entirely based on the actual weight of your shipment as weighed on a truck scale once loaded. For this reason, I would be wary of someone who gives a lowball estimate; you are that much more likely to be surprised when presented with the actual bill. I have heard horror stories of folks being presented with much higher invoices, based on the actual weight, than they were expecting from the estimate. They will not unload your goods until you pay them at arrival. Be sure to check what methods of payment they accept and be prepared.

As for the number of trucks, don't worry about it. Their rate is by the pound. They make the commitment to you to move your goods; if they send too small a truck, it's up to them to send another truck or switch to a different truck.

If you ever have to do it again, consider one of the pod-based moving and storage companies. They pack your goods into a container, store the container until you need it moved, then load the container on a flatbed and deliver it to you without handling your goods again, with the risk of damage.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:20 PM

68 posts, read 396,245 times
Congratulations and welcome to Florida. We moved down here from NY in July, 2004. We got a few estimates from established movers who all said we had approx. 12K to 15K lbs. All the estimates were pretty much in the same ballpark so we went with the mover who had the least amount of consumer complaints on file. The total cost was about $5000.00 which had to be paid with certified funds. All in all, it went pretty smoothly. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM

Well after researching many rates and talking endlessly to many companies and checking out that www.movingscams.com (broken link) website and realizing that Sunday is the day my bride and I celebrate 12 wonderful years together; we also realized that most of our bigger stuff is also celebrating its 12 year anniversary...

So, we are going to rent a Penske 26' truck and whatever fits goes with us, and whatever doesn't will be donated / given away.

Thanks to everyone who posted back... with some hard work, and scheduling luck, we'll be unloading next Thursday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: