Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM

33 posts, read 121,587 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on this?...........

Should I rent an apartment online prior to getting to Florida? I was wondering how many people have done this?

I'm also a single mom trying to get out of the cold weather here in Chicago. It's hard to just pack and go to another state not knowing where you're going or where you're going to be staying at. And if you sign a lease on an apartment complex in any area, and don't like it, you get stuck with the place for almost a year. I gues you have to rent a hotel room for a while until you decide where you want to live, and could be very expensive.

Also, some people say that you should find a job first, and then move. But some places won't interview you over the phone. You can send out resumes or apply for jobs online, but when they find out you're out of state, they kind of not wanting to wait for you. I figured that sometimes you have to move first, and then get the job. Silly hah?

Should people like me rent an apartment online prior to going to Florida so I could feel secure to where I'm going?

Anybody would like to suggest any ideas, or comment on what you've done?

Lily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 06:04 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Lily, if you're going to do this, you need to post the exact town here and get some opinions from locals first. You owe yourself that much.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Default Job 1st, Apartment 2nd, Move 3rd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily15 View Post
some people say that you should find a job first, and then move. But some places won't interview you over the phone. You can send out resumes or apply for jobs online, but when they find out you're out of state, they kind of not wanting to wait for you. I figured that sometimes you have to move first, and then get the job. Silly hah?
It is a catch 22 all the way . There is such a surplus of people already LIVING in Florida that need employment that most companies are not going to play around with out of staters unless you have a career that is in high demand. In better economic times I would advise to move first with 6 months savings and then work on finding employment once you are here. NO WAY with this economy. Why not wait until things get better? If you lock into a lease and can't secure employment then you and your family are screwed or at the very least you blew some of their college funds on a whim.

Please secure employment before you move here unless you have unlimited money resources.

Quote:
Should people like me rent an apartment online prior to going to Florida so I could feel secure to where I'm going?
Only if you have a job lined up!!!!

If you do move here without employment just make sure you have enough $$$ to live for 1 year. You'll probably be able to use your current job info for the apartment application. If not just prepay the term of the lease. Try to find a month to month or 7 month rental if you can. You'll pay more but it might be worth it in the long run if you hate it there.
Visit the apartment complex AT NIGHT before you sign anything. If you can't visit in person then at the very least post the name here and maybe someone will know if it is safe or not. Long distance moves are a pain in the and very expensive. Life doesn't always work out like you have it planned .....

Good Luck .

Old 11-09-2008, 08:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Really good advice from the posts above.

You could purchase a Florida P.O. Box address to use for your resume, or simply state in your cover letter that you are ready to relocate at a moment's notice and you're not seeking any relocation assistance from the company.

You could hit it hard and still wait a month or more to even get calls for interviews in this economy. Can you afford to cover your expenses for a month or two or three if it takes that long to find work?

Without a job, you might have to live in an extended stay hotel until you can show employment to an apartment complex.

In a better economy, this would be a risk. In this economy, it's a much bigger risk....proceed cautiously .

Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Lily, if you're going to do this, you need to post the exact town here and get some opinions from locals first. You owe yourself that much.

Muggy,

Thanks for the advice.

I'm still undecided on the area, but I was thinking in either the Coral Springs or the Palm Beach Gardens area.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
It is a catch 22 all the way . There is such a surplus of people already LIVING in Florida that need employment that most companies are not going to play around with out of staters unless you have a career that is in high demand. In better economic times I would advise to move first with 6 months savings and then work on finding employment once you are here. NO WAY with this economy. Why not wait until things get better? If you lock into a lease and can't secure employment then you and your family are screwed or at the very least you blew some of their college funds on a whim.

Please secure employment before you move here unless you have unlimited money resources.

Only if you have a job lined up!!!!

If you do move here without employment just make sure you have enough $$$ to live for 1 year. You'll probably be able to use your current job info for the apartment application. If not just prepay the term of the lease. Try to find a month to month or 7 month rental if you can. You'll pay more but it might be worth it in the long run if you hate it there.
Visit the apartment complex AT NIGHT before you sign anything. If you can't visit in person then at the very least post the name here and maybe someone will know if it is safe or not. Long distance moves are a pain in the and very expensive. Life doesn't always work out like you have it planned .....

Good Luck .
Thanks for these good advices.

You're certaily right in everything you've posted!

I should wait until economy gets better. But, the fact is that I'm always sick in the cold weather. Can't take it no more.

Employers don't want to deal with out of state people, because there are other qualified people in their state that need a job too. In my field, it's hard to get the job before moving. Already tried filling out applications online, and all places say the same thing.

As for the apartment.....based on the many posts that I've read here, was thinking in either coral springs or palm beach gardens.

It's just like said.......Life doesn't always work out like you have it planned!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Really good advice from the posts above.

You could purchase a Florida P.O. Box address to use for your resume, or simply state in your cover letter that you are ready to relocate at a moment's notice and you're not seeking any relocation assistance from the company.

You could hit it hard and still wait a month or more to even get calls for interviews in this economy. Can you afford to cover your expenses for a month or two or three if it takes that long to find work?

Without a job, you might have to live in an extended stay hotel until you can show employment to an apartment complex.

In a better economy, this would be a risk. In this economy, it's a much bigger risk....proceed cautiously .

Riveree,

Thanks to you also for the advice.

Maybe I should take the risk of just moving and maybe I could live without a job for 1-3 moths. Already tried completing applications online in my field. And, apparently, there's no way I can get the job from here.

I also didn't think of the fact that some apartment complexes don't rent you unless you can show proof of employment.

Jeez, it's harder than I thought!!! The fact is I can't take the cold anymore. Would like to enjoy the warm weather like you guys over in Florida.

Will certainly take all these advices...

Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
Maybe I should take the risk of just moving and maybe I could live without a job for 1-3 moths. Already tried completing applications online in my field. And, apparently, there's no way I can get the job from here.
Please be aware that some companies down here take their good old time getting back to you. 1-3 months would be a best case scenario,imho. It may take 1-3 months just to get an interview, then another month wait for orientation even if they hire you on the spot, then another month to even begin work. It can be a long and slow process, they like to leave you hanging without letting you know what's going on.

Quote:
I also didn't think of the fact that some apartment complexes don't rent you unless you can show proof of employment.
Try to use your current job info. If that won't work some motels will give you a monthly rate which would save you a ton of money. Ask to speak to the manager and see what deals you can work out. Please remember that winter is the ON season from central Florida down and rates might be higher.
A private landlord might rent to you if you pay a month or 2 in advance but BECAREFUL because some landlord's houses are in FORECLOSURE.
Finding a place without employment is the least of your concerns; here in Florida $CASH$ talks........ someone will rent to you. All they really care about is that you are not a criminal or sex offender.

Quote:
Jeez, it's harder than I thought!!! The fact is I can't take the cold anymore. Would like to enjoy the warm weather like you guys over in Florida.

Will certainly take all these advices...
It's just not worth all you have to give up in my opinion. I'd rather have cold and snow anyday.

But I hope everything works out great for you

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 11-10-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Please be aware that some companies down here take their good old time getting back to you. 1-3 months would be a best case scenario,imho. It may take a 1-3 months just to get an interview, then another month wait for orientation if they hire you on the spot, then another month to even begin work. It can be a long and slow process, they like to leave you hanging without letting you know what's going on.

Try to use your current job info. If that won't work some motels will give you a monthly rate which would save you a ton of money. Ask to speak to the manager and see what deals you can work out. Please remember that winter is the ON season from central Florida down and rates might be higher.
A private landlord might rent to you if you pay a month or 2 in advance but BECAREFUL because some landlord's houses are in FORECLOSURE.
Finding a place without employment is the least of your concerns; here in Florida $CASH$ talks........ someone will rent to you. All they really care about is that you are not a criminal or sex offender.

It's just not worth all you have to give up in my opinion. I'd rather have cold and snow anyday.

But I hope everything works out great for you

You might be right!

I have to quit my job here to try to get same job in Florida, which pays half of what I'm making right now (considering seniority at work). I'll be 3 months or so, before I can get the same job I have here.

But I've been here in the cold for too long. I need a change.......of weather, and everything else.

Will take in consideration your advice and experience.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 AM

541 posts, read 1,994,662 times
We moved 4 years ago and set up a rental before we came. We also had some at home businesses we could do short term, NO debt and 20k in the bank before moving. We mainly moved due to the cold weather in MA. BIG mistake. One of the biggest we have ever made. Now we are in debt and have been working temp and contract jobs for 4 years. Super high health insurance and always under stress to find the next temp job. I want tog o back north but we are stuck with this condo. I would hang onto it but the taxes will go sky high without the Homestead. My advise-go on a nice vacation when you are feeling cold! Take a 4 night cruise or go to an all-inclusive in the Caribbean We used to do that and now I can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida