Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM

21 posts, read 106,920 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving back to FL in about a year and we are seeking out coastal cities (no where in south FL or near it) to move back to. After reading about the tornado that hit in central FL that made me curious as to where they commonly hit at in FL?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:40 PM

159 posts, read 655,945 times
Storms hit where they hit, when they hit. They have no itenerary. They just are and just go where the wind drives them.

There are no assurances in life. One thing you can count on is that they DO hit trailers like a homing beacon. Proceed accordingly.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark99 View Post
Storms hit where they hit, when they hit. They have no itenerary. They just are and just go where the wind drives them.

There are no assurances in life. One thing you can count on is that they DO hit trailers like a homing beacon. Proceed accordingly.
Does anyone know why this is? I know I posted this already, but the weather channel had said that all the victims this year so far had been living in mobile homes. What attracts tornadoes to them?

Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Exactly, there is no way to say, it will never happen. They said they hit usually between Tampa, Orlando and the east coast not sure what city they said but central Florida. They happen there because this is where the cold and warm air masses usually collide with one another. But tornadoes happen on the water also, they are called water spouts, they can come on to land then they are called tornadoes.

This link shows where Floridas tornadoes traditionally happen.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate...doalley500.jpg

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-21-2007 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 PM

54 posts, read 408,462 times
Default Also

Since all of Florida is flat land, its more likely tornadoes will hit any part of Florida.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM

21 posts, read 106,920 times
Makes sense. I lived in Kansas as a kid so I'm not so unfamiliar with their damage and scare they can give you. Thanks for the input! Funny post LandShark99, I got a good laugh lol....

Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 PM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
also on the NOAA site is does mention that there is a stronger frequency of tornado activity on the coast vs inland (historically)

Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 25,625 times
I don’t think it’s that tornadoes somehow sense you’re living in a trailer and target you! But obviously those kinds of homes, especially if they are older, just can’t withstand those kinds of forces but usually a brick-built home with adequate defences can. The media loves showing dramatic pictures in their papers/news programs so you get shot after shot of smashed up trailer parks, not shot after shot of untouched brick homes. Unfortunately a lot of people have to live in these trailers/mobiles because they were more affordable during the recent property boom. It’s worth noting, though, that the newer trailer/mobile homes are [apparently!] built to existing code standards and their manufacturers claim they can withstand category 4-5 winds…

Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Tornados happen over the coastal waters too. They are called water spouts. They just don't usually make it to land for some reason but i'd say anywhere in FL a tornado is possible. I live about 20 minutes from the west coast and the storms that destroyed middle FL were the storms that i know came over our home as it was so windy and scary outside. It just happened to pass over before they formed just 30 miles east of me. another thing with mobile homes it that once the wind gets up underneath as most mobile homes are raised on blocks, that's all it takes to lift it.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:08 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
And tornadoes occur over water too. When they do they are called waterspouts. Why don't you try googling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: