Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times

Advertisements

Kathy - I thought you posted you were a native to Florida? Maybe that was another Kathy. Well, anyway - it is cold (SUCKS) here in the winter just like it is hot in Florida in the summer. What I think is most annoying is a person trying to dispute (not you, in general) that 30 degrees is not cold - I don't care what friggin state you are in 30 is cold - Yes here in NYC, downstate, what ever you want to call it, too. Trying to argue that is just not rational! Yes 90 HHH is hot in Florida, but guess what people it gets hot like the in the North too and we Yankess think its hot. Now people may feel heat and cold differently, but to say something is or isn't when meteorology in fact proves it to be so is just crazy! It is hot in Florida for a longer period of time than in the NE and it is cold in the NE longer than it is in Florida - can we agree on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Kathy - I thought you posted you were a native to Florida? Maybe that was another Kathy. Well, anyway - it is cold (SUCKS) here in the winter just like it is hot in Florida in the summer. What I think is most annoying is a person trying to dispute (not you, in general) that 30 degrees is not cold - I don't care what friggin state you are in 30 is cold - Yes here in NYC, downstate, what ever you want to call it, too. Trying to argue that is just not rational! Yes 90 HHH is hot in Florida, but guess what people it gets hot like the in the North too and we Yankess think its hot. Now people may feel heat and cold differently, but to say something is or isn't when meteorology in fact proves it to be so is just crazy! It is hot in Florida for a longer period of time than in the NE and it is cold in the NE longer than it is in Florida - can we agree on that?
sweet flowing words of wisdom.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM

44 posts, read 107,924 times
I lived in FL for 6 years and I actually think the Florida cold is miserable. 32 F (0 C) feels heavenly in Oregon, compared to FL.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:27 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
I doubt it will happen but I thought I'd share.

Flurries In Florida’s Forecast? - Central Florida News 13

Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
I did no such thing. I went by the experience I've had with not only my own family, but in countless members of the public who I've met in over 32 years of municipal employment (plus 5 years of working in a supermarket before that) -- a good many years of that dealing with seniors and the disabled. I know the kind of pain the cold can cause in people -- in the young as well as the old. I saw my husband come home in agony each day because the cold aggravated his degenerative disk disease as well as the arthritis he has in his hands, back, and neck.

My message to your daughter was a 'count your blessings' instead of ultra-casually dismissing the attitudes of people to whom cold is indeed "a big deal".

I exercise way more than the average person and I'm very active...I highly doubt I'll have arthritis when I'm older. And in the slim chance i do, I'm not moving to a warmer climate for that one reason.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
I'll give you that 32 feels better in Oregan than in Florida, but is it fair to say that it is still considered cold? That is all I'm asking - I don't think even in Oregan they are running around with spring jackets at 32.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
All this arguing over the "cold" almost makes me long for all the posts we'll have in a few months complaining about how hot it is..........

Frank

Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
All this arguing over the "cold" almost makes me long for all the posts we'll have in a few months complaining about how hot it is..........

Frank
LOL Frank...in a warped and bizarre kind of way, some who have beaten their breasts and cried in agony for a "change of seasons" in Florida are getting their wishes fulfilled.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Kathy - I thought you posted you were a native to Florida?

Not me -- I was born and raised in Bayonne, NJ. We just moved to Florida 7 weeks ago.

Maybe that was another Kathy. Well, anyway - it is cold (SUCKS) here in the winter just like it is hot in Florida in the summer. What I think is most annoying is a person trying to dispute (not you, in general)

I'm not disputing it at all. 30 is downright cold any way you look at it.

that 30 degrees is not cold - I don't care what friggin state you are in 30 is cold - Yes here in NYC, downstate, what ever you want to call it, too. Trying to argue that is just not rational! Yes 90 HHH is hot in Florida, but guess what people it gets hot like the in the North too and we Yankess think its hot.

I'm well-acquainted with the Triple Hs in NJ -- we can hit 95 with well over 90% humidity in May in my hometown. I think a lot of people don 't realize how hot it can get in the NYC area (when I was here for the closing last August, it was cooler on Ocala than it was in NJ -- and I've been at Yankee Stadium when they had to set up free hydration stations throughout the stadium to stave off dehydration among the fans). It makes me think that I won't have a hard time with Florida summers -- it's like a NJ July or August, just longer in duration. And that suits me (and my arthritis) just fine.

Now people may feel heat and cold differently, but to say something is or isn't when meteorology in fact proves it to be so is just crazy! It is hot in Florida for a longer period of time than in the NE and it is cold in the NE longer than it is in Florida - can we agree on that?
Roger that.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I exercise way more than the average person and I'm very active...I highly doubt I'll have arthritis when I'm older.

I hope you're right, Rachael -- but there's no guarantee you'll never develop it. I've been active all my life, and so were my parents (my father played semi-pro baseball) -- it didn't prevent either of them from developing osteoarthritis and it hasn't prevented me, either.

And in the slim chance i do, I'm not moving to a warmer climate for that one reason.
Sorry, but I don't get the reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida