Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
TANaples,

Listen, I'm a true Floridian and I can tell you that this can be pretty cold to us. You, [the OP] being from New York have experienced freezing weather before, but imagine somebody like me, who has lived in Florida all of his life and is use to the 80 degree temperatures trying to adjust to 40's and 50's, that IS pretty cold.

So basically what I'm saying is: To each his own. If you don't think it's cold, great- that's you. I might think it is cold, that's me. Personally, I like the change in weather, I just don't like the 20's and 30's that much. Again, To each his own.
if you refuse to put on more clothes. Do you think I would walk around trying to wear shorts or flip fliops when it was 50 degrees ANYWHERE? Hell, no. I DRESS for the weather. It doesn't matter where I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 04:48 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
if you refuse to put on more clothes. Do you think I would walk around trying to wear shorts or flip fliops when it was 50 degrees ANYWHERE? Hell, no. I DRESS for the weather. It doesn't matter where I am.
And did I say that I walked around wearing shorts and flip-flops in 50 degree weather? Everybody has there own view on what is cold and what is hot. That's it!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
In what they call the lovely paradise of SW Florida.

I for one happen to think this is a lovely paradise.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Listen, I'm a true Floridian and I can tell you that this can be pretty cold to us. You, [the OP] being from New York have experienced freezing weather before, but imagine somebody like me, who has lived in Florida all of his life and is use to the 80 degree temperatures trying to adjust to 40's and 50's, that IS pretty cold.
Being a true Floridian has nothing to do with it. I think it's mostly mental. Or genetic. I am (was) a true Floridian, but never thought the handful of cold days Florida gets each winter was truly "cold." I had some perspective and realized that 95% of the country was still colder than Florida during those "cold" days. I welcomed the novelty of the cold weather to break up the monotony of 82 degree days.

The funny thing is that the farther south in the state you go, the worse people hate the cold, to the point of being truly comical. I lived in Orlando, and people would break out the coats in the 50's. But I visited a friend in Ft Lauderdale, and they are truly off their rockers there when it comes to cool weather. I heard the weatherman on the local news say the high would only be 72, but the ocean temp is 75 and "you KNOW it's COLD when the air temp doesn't get above the water temp!" I couldn't believe what I just heard! lol It's all mental. If you CONVINCE yourself that anything under 70 is frigid, it will be.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Being a true Floridian has nothing to do with it. I think it's mostly mental. Or genetic. I am (was) a true Floridian, but never thought the handful of cold days Florida gets each winter was truly "cold." I had some perspective and realized that 95% of the country was still colder than Florida during those "cold" days. I welcomed the novelty of the cold weather to break up the monotony of 82 degree days.

The funny thing is that the farther south in the state you go, the worse people hate the cold, to the point of being truly comical. I lived in Orlando, and people would break out the coats in the 50's. But I visited a friend in Ft Lauderdale, and they are truly off their rockers there when it comes to cool weather. I heard the weatherman on the local news say the high would only be 72, but the ocean temp is 75 and "you KNOW it's COLD when the air temp doesn't get above the water temp!" I couldn't believe what I just heard! lol It's all mental. If you CONVINCE yourself that anything under 70 is frigid, it will be.
If you had quoted the rest of my post, you would have seen that I said "To each his own." Everybody has there own taste in weather, and that is fine.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
I am a native too, although I lived elsewhere in the Southeast for a while, and I wore shorts and flip flops today with no problem! I wasnt cold!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
I`m not a native and was born and raised up north and I still think 50`s for highs are cold and I do break out the jacket in anything below 65.

Of course I`m not going to go to the extreme of wearing a parka like some do but a light jacket is fine.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
This kind of weather always brings out this silly competition as to who thinks it's cold or not.

It's like those who don't want to admit it's cold have something to prove.

Very boring.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
I'm one of those who after many, many years of putting up with snow, hail and ice, feel like I'm freezing when it's below 70 degrees in Miami. I moved to South Florida because I never want to see snow or ice again.

This weekend I pulled out my ski clothes! LOLLLL...J/K

For some reason, this little chilly spell we've gotten the last couple of days has felt really good, even with the windchill.

Maybe because I was in North Carolina a couple of months ago and got to practice by having nights in the 40's. THAT was cold!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
This kind of weather always brings out this silly competition as to who thinks it's cold or not.

It's like those who don't want to admit it's cold have something to prove.

Very boring.

No different then the ones who say 95 and humid is not that hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida