Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times

Advertisements

and, i can buy a 1732 sq ft brand new house in st augustine for 196,900!!! brand new construction in ST AUGUSTINE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 07:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
[quote=Need_affordable_home;397924]
Of course I will need to be fairly rich as decent houses cant be touched for under $200k in north FL and im leaving south FL as I hate that location. The weather, crime and insane house prices suck, north FL is much better. I dont see whats so good about south FL unless you like the 9 month summers.

QUOTE]

You're just wrong about that, that's all.

A very nice 3/2, 1600+sf with a garage in my neighborhood in Mandarin just went on the market for $189,000. Very low crime, "A" rated schools, less than 1/2 mile to WalMart, World Market, Barnes & Noble, Fresh Market, Blockbuster, Panera's, Steinmart, Bonefish. It's older- 20 years approx., but has a new roof and is in very good condition.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
[quote=hereinfla;413599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Of course I will need to be fairly rich as decent houses cant be touched for under $200k in north FL and im leaving south FL as I hate that location. The weather, crime and insane house prices suck, north FL is much better. I dont see whats so good about south FL unless you like the 9 month summers.

QUOTE]

A very nice 3/2, 1600+sf with a garage in my neighborhood in Mandarin just went on the market for $189,000. Very low crime, "A" rated schools, less than 1/2 mile to WalMart, World Market, Barnes & Noble, Fresh Market, Blockbuster, Panera's, Steinmart, Bonefish. It's older- 20 years approx., but has a new roof and is in very good condition.
Where is this? Sounds interesting.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gross Rexman View Post
What is it that keeps you here in Florida? When do you plan on moving? Will you be leaving because of the state itself, or will you be moving to seek an improved social or professional life?

In my case, right now nothing keeps me in FL. I'm moving in almost exactly one year, and not tomorrow because things must be well planned.

I will be moving because of the state itself, but do not get me wrong. Is not the state, nor the American people. Is the situation of the state as a whole. Due to horrible, non-sense immigration policies, the state is completely unstable in terms of cost of living and prosperity. Undiscriminated immigration has increased property and land values in South Florida, and property values in the north part goes up due to relocation from American people leaving the south, creating demand. Undiscriminated immigration has brought into this nation not the people we need, but the people who wants to come here for any reason other than loving this country. That means, uneducated people, criminal people, low culture, poor values. Corruption and crime in places like Miami is through the roof. That has increased property insurance prices and car insurance prices. For example, people in South Florida throw their cars into lakes so they can claim the money from the insurance company. After hurricanes, people here claim or make damages to their property to claim money from the insurance company or FEMA. This same people have raised their children with the lowest family values, without any education, and of course strictly only in Spanish. As consequence, public schools are very poor quality; very bad influences, gangs, youth crime.

Ok, too much philosophy, but is a very complex situation that I hope gets resolved very soon by our own hands because the governement and politicians, will do absolutely nothing about it.

P.S. Similar situation we see in states like California, New York, Texas, Chicago. And will be many many more if the same people stay in charge of this nation.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,521 times
[quote=hereinfla;413599]
Quote:

QUOTE]

I don't think that's cheap compared with other states...that price for a 3/2 is already high. Now if you compare it with Miami, of course is cheap but we know Miami is a different planet. Your neighborhood seems to be very nice, but because is new. Wait a couple of years until the fallen angels from the sky who are here to do what lazy racist Americans don't want to do arrive; and with them crime, corruption, overpopulation, low education, poverty, cheap labor, low wages.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
We only survived living in Florida for 15 months. We lived in Kissimmee and I worked in Orlando over by the Florida mall. We rented. Great apartments until we had bees coming in our baby's room through the a/c vents. We had to leave due to the extreme humidity and mold counts. My wife was sick the entire time we lived there. Disney was great, but after a month we didn't care anymore. Now of course we want to come back...for a vist only!

Sorry to say I would never recommend living in Florida to anyone! Unless of course they were on one of the coasts...but then you have to endure hurricanes...yeah, I miss those!

For what it's worth I'm now in Minnesota and we're getting hit with 16 inches of snow...and already have at least 14 on the ground from a previous storm. At least it's no longer 17 below standing temp with windchills hovering at 25 to 30 below. I love the weather, but at 25 below that's when I'm ready for a plane ticket down to Florida...for a visit only.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Ok so reading this post, i cut out what your saying. You can't find a house in North FL for under $200,000 yet you say North FL is much better than where you are then you go on saying how you can get a home for under $50,000 in another state which would cost 4 x as much as North FL. So where is it you actually want to move? North FL since it's better or out of state? Let us all know when you find that $50,000 2 story dream home in a great area with no crime so i can jump in on it before you and make an offer for $60,000.

North FL is better than south FL but I wouldnt pay those prices in north FL still. Theres $50k 1/1 shacks in north FL but you need at least $200k for a reasonable decent house. Prices would have to drop and/or property taxes and I would need to be pretty rich as well because eliminating property taxes is regressive, benefits the rich really. In the current situation, all of FL is overpriced. Dont worry about making the $60k offer, I am not going to compete with you, I only need one house, you can buy as many as you want, let me have one to live in. Look into Ohio, WV and PA and parts of the midwest for those nice $50k houses. Texas has $50k houses too but they may need some repairs and the neighboorhoods is not upscale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is a flat out misrepresentation if I ever saw one. Tallahassee, which is more expensive than the surrounding areas because it's actually a city with services, parks, culture, etc.... has plenty of good housing options under and around 200k.

Show me something nice for closer to $100k than $200k and we will talk. You need at or near $200k for something decent and I stand by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
and, i can buy a 1732 sq ft brand new house in st augustine for 196,900!!! brand new construction in ST AUGUSTINE!!!

Thats about $200k all right. If you want to get technicial, its 1.5% below the $200k mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post

5.5% below $200k, still expensive. Its a nice location but no way can your average middle class afford this without being "house poor" A single person would need $65k to $80k salary for that house, two people without children would need $80k to $95k and add $10k to $20k more every child you have because its expensive to raise children. One calculator gave me an average cost of $18k per year to raise a child to the age of 18.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:13 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
"You're just wrong about that, that's all.

A very nice 3/2, 1600+sf with a garage in my neighborhood in Mandarin just went on the market for $189,000. Very low crime, "A" rated schools, less than 1/2 mile to WalMart, World Market, Barnes & Noble, Fresh Market, Blockbuster, Panera's, Steinmart, Bonefish. It's older- 20 years approx., but has a new roof and is in very good condition."

HIF.
is this in Lake manderian? if so that is a nice area (had a friend that lived there) and that sounds like a great deal

Old 03-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
5.5% below $200k, still expensive. Its a nice location but no way can your average middle class afford this without being "house poor" A single person would need $65k to $80k salary for that house, two people without children would need $80k to $95k and add $10k to $20k more every child you have because its expensive to raise children. One calculator gave me an average cost of $18k per year to raise a child to the age of 18.
Then I'm a freakin' fiscal genius, because, according to your figures, I would have to double my salary to live the way I have been for the past few years. And with no credit card debt or car payment on my 2006 car, no less.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

Where is this? Sounds interesting.
I just tried to find the link to the MLS info, but couldn't, although this morning there was no "sold" sign on the property. It's in the Lake Mandarin area. The flyer has the realtor's website on it, but the pix are awful- the house is so cluttered. It's empty now and I peeked in the windows. I am betting that the owners would take 180k, but that's just with cursory knowledge of the property.

The address is 3386 Fairbanks Grant Rd., Jax 32223.

I wish I could keep my townhouse, which is on the other side of the lake near the one my mom has, and buy this place for me to live in. It's not as nice as mine, but has a yard and would be a great investment if one were to live in it for a few years.

It is about 12 miles to downtown via San Jose Blvd. in an area that is built out, so no big commercial or apartments going in nearby. The only apartment complex in the area has gone condo (the Oasis) with 1 bedrooms starting at 130k and it is one of the least expensive homes in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida