Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajajcd100 View Post
Most Floridans aren't native, but transplants.

--------------------------------------
How true. I'm feeling more like and endangered species everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
We were Illinois residents when our son went off to FL to college. At that time we found that he couldn't become a FL resident unless we did. As long as he was financially tied to us he was tied to our home state. We did all become legal Floridians about 8 months later. It literally took us two days when we moved.

First and foremost is proving place of residence. Dorm room will not work. Neither will PO Box. Address must be a physical address and must be proved by either tax bill or a copy of a lease.

Second step is licensing of vehicle. Each vehicle must be presented to the local law enforcement department for physical inspection. After the inspection, you can get FL auto insurance. Then you go to the local county treasure's department and apply for the registration. You must have the signed affidavit of inspection signed by the local police as well as a copy of the insurance policy, pay the transfer fee's and the actual annual registration fee. About 300.00 if I remember correctly. After that it is less than 100 per year.

Next... Driver's license. Again, you have to have that proof of FL insurance, but after that it is easy. None of us had to do anything other than an eye test. FL is motor-voter state so that registers you to vote and take jury duty in the county of residence automatically.

FL vehicle insurance is based on city/county of residence and they very widely. Miami/Dade is most expensive followed closely by Tampa and Orlando. All toll, we estimate it cost approximately 1000.00 per person to become Floridians by the time you took into account all the fees and additional insurance. Son's insurance tripled...parents doubled.

Good luck....

Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
We were Illinois residents when our son went off to FL to college. At that time we found that he couldn't become a FL resident unless we did. As long as he was financially tied to us he was tied to our home state. We did all become legal Floridians about 8 months later. It literally took us two days when we moved.

First and foremost is proving place of residence. Dorm room will not work. Neither will PO Box. Address must be a physical address and must be proved by either tax bill or a copy of a lease.

Second step is licensing of vehicle. Each vehicle must be presented to the local law enforcement department for physical inspection. After the inspection, you can get FL auto insurance. Then you go to the local county treasure's department and apply for the registration. You must have the signed affidavit of inspection signed by the local police as well as a copy of the insurance policy, pay the transfer fee's and the actual annual registration fee. About 300.00 if I remember correctly. After that it is less than 100 per year.

Next... Driver's license. Again, you have to have that proof of FL insurance, but after that it is easy. None of us had to do anything other than an eye test. FL is motor-voter state so that registers you to vote and take jury duty in the county of residence automatically.

FL vehicle insurance is based on city/county of residence and they very widely. Miami/Dade is most expensive followed closely by Tampa and Orlando. All toll, we estimate it cost approximately 1000.00 per person to become Floridians by the time you took into account all the fees and additional insurance. Son's insurance tripled...parents doubled.

Good luck....

So you literally moved your whole family down here for your son's education? That's wonderful!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
So you literally moved your whole family down here for your son's education? That's wonderful!
No... we were planning the move all along... we just had to wait until we could sell the house in IL. Wouldn't have mattered anyway as far as financial aid, as son did not attend a U FL university. He went to Miami which is private.

We also have family stretched up and down the West Coast from Sarasota to Spring Hill, so getting to FL was just something we had wanted to do for a long time. But it was VERY EASY to become Floridian for us. But just to do it as a student is much tougher. It all comes down to age and financial status. In order for a student to do it, they MUST be financially independent for at least 1 calendar year, including proving that they are no longer used as a dependent on their parents or guardians income tax form. That becomes rough for them as well if they are still filing a FAFSA, which required parent participation usually all the way through undergrad.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Things must have changed from when I did it.

I moved to FL to attend school when I was 19. My parents were still in Pennsylvania. I lived in the dorms.

One of the first things I did was go to the courthouse and file a Declaration of Domicile. That starts the clock ticking for determining when you became a resident for tuition purposes. I also changed my license, car registration and insurance.

Even now, decades later, I use that document as proof of my residency required for my own daughter's college applications.

You had to get the car inspected by a law enforcement agency? I never heard of that.

I did buy a used car out of state recently and the clerk at the DMV had to physically verify the mileage only because it was not registered in FL.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Things must have changed from when I did it.

You had to get the car inspected by a law enforcement agency? I never heard of that.

I did buy a used car out of state recently and the clerk at the DMV had to physically verify the mileage only because it was not registered in FL.
Yea, it was weird and the first time we'd ever seen it, but we are having to go through it again right now. We travel with hubby's construction business, and bought our motorhome in Texas. The texas dealership didn't know how to apply for our FL plates so they registered the vehicle in TX. Now, we are trying to switch over to FL plates (without physically being in FL right now), and once again, we have to have a police officer come physically inspect our motorhome and verify the VIN number on the application for transfer.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
A parent has to be a resident of a particular state in order for a non self supporting college student to be considered a resident of that state. When my husband came here to Florida for a job, that is why I stated in NY while my daughter was going to college. Even though we werent't separated or divorced, I still had a job in NY, paid rent, had cars registered there, voted there, etc., so my dependent daughter was still considered a NY state resident for tuition purposes.

I would assume the same would apply in Florida.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
A parent has to be a resident of a particular state in order for a non self supporting college student to be considered a resident of that state. When my husband came here to Florida for a job, that is why I stated in NY while my daughter was going to college. Even though we werent't separated or divorced, I still had a job in NY, paid rent, had cars registered there, voted there, etc., so my dependent daughter was still considered a NY state resident for tuition purposes.

I would assume the same would apply in Florida.
That was not true in my case. I was still a dependent on their tax return when I moved. This had no bearing at all on my Florida residency status.

I had to prove I was in Florida for one year and I did that with the declaration of domicile.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
That was not true in my case. I was still a dependent on their tax return when I moved. This had no bearing at all on my Florida residency status.

I had to prove I was in Florida for one year and I did that with the declaration of domicile.
This may or may not be the case to get in-state tuition, but at least for the State of Maryland you would continue to be considered domiciled in MD for income tax purposes. That means that if you earned wages while attending school in Florida, you would still owe state income tax on those wages to MD. I would assume other states that have an income tax would have a similar position on this.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
They really push you here to declare Florida your primary domicle. There are even full page ads in the papers listing the "benefits".

I, myself, put it off for as long as I possibly could. I did not want to do it at all, but had no choice since I had a full time job here.

However, they can talk all they want. I have been here over a year. I will NEVER be a Floridian no matter how long I have to live here. As they say, home is where the heart it. Mine is certainly not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida