Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Florida increase the cigarette tax?
Yes 30 46.15%
No 33 50.77%
Not sure 0 0%
I really don't care either way 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:10 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
people are for taxation if it isn't them being taxed, but it is a slippery slope. it is interesting that the people who favor taxation see it as a punitive measure (punish the smokers) rather than a revenue generator because nobody ever knows where the money goes from these programs anyway. smoking is bad, so is drinking, overeating, and unprotected sex but we are not a country that regulates all of these behaviors, nor could we be.
Drinking and overeating affect the people doing it. Smoking affects everyone, because of the unrestrained thowing out of trash on the roads and ground. We have to pay people to clean up smoker's trash.

I wish someone would explain to me why smokers don't keep their butts in the car. Any answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Talking Sock-it 2 Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
It can't be high enough to retrieve what we have to pay to cover the health care of those who are foolish enough to smoke and get cancer, heart disease, etc. Smoking is the biggest cause of illness that there is and the fools just won't stop. It's either tax them to death or they'll smoke themselves to death
Great Post......the cost of health care is high enough...and those that choose to smoke should have to pay their fair share for additional medical costs for those who do not smoke......perhaps another survey/vote should be taken to see if smokers should pay a higher premium for medical coverage......

Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Gov. Crist considers tax on smokes - St. Petersburg Times

Excerpt from link:
Florida's worsening economy and grim fiscal outlook are forcing Gov. Charlie Crist to consider two bold moves: a 50-cent-a-pack increase in the cigarette tax and a temporary statewide moratorium on housing foreclosures.

Do you Floridians support the idea of a cigarette tax increase? Speak your mind.
Do NOT raise any more DARN taxes! The government is accountable to US not vice versa. They need to draw up a plan showing us how they are going to transform Florida economy for the long run. Get out of tourism, orange and sugar farming and into alternative energy and other future proof industries to get people working and make this place sustainable. They also need to show us what programs the government has in play now that have not been working and SCRAP them and come up with programs that DO work. Once they give us the long range plan THEN then can come talk to us about raising taxes. i think people can swallow paying more if they see that its going to benefit them.

For example of Broward county said to me, we are going to raise your taxes. BUT we are also going to put a light rail system on every major street in broward county with in 10 years. Also we will do away with sprawl and transform broward county via new urbanism. I would say ok, tax a way (with in reason)

Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is interesting that the people who favor taxation see it as a punitive measure (punish the smokers) rather than a revenue generator
Agreed, and that's actually a bit surprising to me (although I suppose it shouldn't have been).

Old 11-29-2008, 01:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Great Post......the cost of health care is high enough...and those that choose to smoke should have to pay their fair share for additional medical costs for those who do not smoke......perhaps another survey/vote should be taken to see if smokers should pay a higher premium for medical coverage......
Smokers already do pay a higher premium for medical coverage. A couple years ago, there was a similar thread in another area of the forum~a general area~not state. Many of the posters were in total agreement that it was good for smokers to pay a higher medical ins. premium. My warning was to be cautious lest they be left standing alone when they start picking on others who are considered to be unhealthy. Not many months later, Alabama became the first state to charge a higher premium to the obese.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:38 PM

147 posts, read 568,699 times
If we the taxpayers have to bear the costs of treating the smoker, the drinker, the fast food eater, the irresponsible sexually active, then yes these activities should be taxed. Let the smokers pay for the health care of those with lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, through higher taxes on their vice.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
If we the taxpayers have to bear the costs of treating the smoker, the drinker, the fast food eater, the irresponsible sexually active, then yes these activities should be taxed. Let the smokers pay for the health care of those with lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, through higher taxes on their vice.
We do pay for cleaning their trash. Forget the health issue. It's littering and trashing the countryside. No excuse for that, None.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Unhappy Actually Smokers Do Not Pay More!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Smokers already do pay a higher premium for medical coverage. A couple years ago, there was a similar thread in another area of the forum~a general area~not state. Many of the posters were in total agreement that it was good for smokers to pay a higher medical ins. premium. My warning was to be cautious lest they be left standing alone when they start picking on others who are considered to be unhealthy. Not many months later, Alabama became the first state to charge a higher premium to the obese.
In some cases I would agree with you that smokers pay more for health coverage......but anyone who smokes and is fortunate to work for a major corporation that offers medical insurance/coverage......pays the same as a non smoker...and YES...I also agree with you - who will be next!! For after they add the taxes & medical premiums to smokers......who/what group will be next......

Old 11-30-2008, 06:37 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Although how far would you go with this--just what risky behaviors would require higher taxes, and how would we acquire the probabilities that I'd assume we'd need?

For example, someone choosing to do a lot hobbyist work in their garage with tools like power saws is increasing the chances that they'll need medical care. Should we put a higher tax on power tools because of this?

What about people who like to hike? Hikers might twist their ankles, contract Lyme disease, get bitten by a snake, etc. Should we put a higher tax on hiking boots and a really high tax on hiking sticks/poles?

Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Although how far would you go with this--just what risky behaviors would require higher taxes, and how would we acquire the probabilities that I'd assume we'd need?

For example, someone choosing to do a lot hobbyist work in their garage with tools like power saws is increasing the chances that they'll need medical care. Should we put a higher tax on power tools because of this?

What about people who like to hike? Hikers might twist their ankles, contract Lyme disease, get bitten by a snake, etc. Should we put a higher tax on hiking boots and a really high tax on hiking sticks/poles?
Excellent post. I agree with you 100% (is a snow storm coming to FL?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida