Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Florida needs a progessive income tax?
Yes 17 34.00%
No 30 60.00%
Unsure 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,999,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Why would anyone do that for a business? Would you? That is ridiculous, no? If a business doesn't know how to budget and manage properly than.
Sure thing. Take a look at GM right now and you have your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
I think we should eliminate property taxes on homestead properties and tax commercial property based on revenue. Cut government and the problem is solved. We did a lot better 50 years ago when taxes were a fraction of what they are now. Of course that if before Florida became New Jersey.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,425,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What we need to do is eliminate the Save Our Homes initiative and level property taxes based on current assessed value. There are millions of homeowners paying a small fraction of what they should be in property taxes while many are paying a heavier load than they should be.

While I would agree with you, and it might happen through the courts, i doubt the govt would ever propose it unless they were facing bankruptcy. seems like it would be political suicide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Offshore drilling would generate billions of dollars in new revenue for the state.

If the sales taxes were increased, combined with the new revenues from offshore drilling the abusive property taxes could be greatly reduced.

That would be a huge improvement.

But the key is to get the government to reduce spending of tax payer dollars.
From what I have read, Florida has less than one years worth of oil off her shores. with the potential for spillage and the possibility of it ruining our beaches and ecosystem, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 AM

42 posts, read 213,893 times
Agreed, offshore drilling would be temporary fix at best. I don't have the answer but we need it fixed soon.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,903,728 times
I'm against income tax.

I'd also like to see a modification on SOH. I don't think it's fair even though I have enjoyed the benefits.

If additional revenues are needed I think the correct place for taxation is in impact taxes on development and re-zoning.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,494,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Of course that if before Florida became New Jersey.
Florida has a very long way before it can ever become New Jersey. For Florida to become New Jersey it would need a diverse economy with livable wages and good schools, which we all know will never happen.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,494,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Sure, as long as the employees are willing to risk everything they have for the benefit of the business, give up their vacations if need be, and go without a paycheck if business is slow. As long as they are willing to do what the employer does, then fine. Are you sure they are willing to do that?
Why would the employee have to do this? Does the employer increase your salary every time they have a good week, month, or year?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,999,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Why would the employee have to do this? Does the employer increase your salary every time they have a good week, month, or year?
If they want to prohibit the employer from being able to terminate their employment at will, shouldn't they have to give something in return?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:45 PM

558 posts, read 1,827,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
If they want to prohibit the employer from being able to terminate their employment at will, shouldn't they have to give something in return?
I take it that you never lived in a non-right to work state before? An employee can still be fired if they do not perform their job, the union only protects them from unfair firings like this here (http://www.local6.com/news/16594550/detail.html - broken link).

Old 12-01-2008, 05:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,423 times
The legend of Robin Hood had him robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. The reality of Florida has it robbing from the poor and the newly relocated and giving it to the wealthy, the old and the established. It is a matter of wealth in Florida.... you will pay a lower percentage of your earnings to the state based upon how long you have lived there and how much money that you accrue. Yours is a state where too many inequities (and unfairnesses) exist with the tax system. The nonworking and the working poor are ever-increasing group, but not only because of the limited wages. More of their paychecks are going for taxes, despite not paying a state income tax.

Florida has a tax system that is skewed that one segment receives an inordinate amount of benefit for the amount of taxes paid, and the other segment pays for it. If Florida wishes to reposition itself for a strong recovery from this pronounced economic downturn, the state legislators will need to approach the problem with an earnest attempt to correct these inequities reaped upon those that can ill-afford them .... Or Florida can opt to do nothing and its citizens can wonder why no one will want to buy their ongoing devalued homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida