Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:25 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times

Advertisements

My sister just moved to the Panhandle about 30 miles east of Pensacola . Shes needed various workmen to do things at her house . It seems the normal routine are for these people to be Jack-of-all-Trades and master of none ; if you can get them to return your phone call and actually come out, and hire them ... you dont hear or see them anymore or they drag their feet on getting the job finished and return numerous times. One Guy came out to cut down a couple trees, and his wife came with him and instilled so much doubt into how he should cut it down that they ended up in a fight....then the Guy admitted to my sister he wasnt sure on how to do it ! Electrician, Land Grading Guy, Carpenter, and Telephone Guy have all been a simular nightmare. If you live or have lived in rural Florida, did you have to endure such unprofessionalism in your dealings with workmen , or, is this typical of the South in particular ? Its far far less in the Midwest near a major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I am in a semi-rural area, and needed a plumber last week. A neighbor gave me a reference. The guys name was Cleetus. I swear. He and another guy came, worked on the problem for about an hour, when they were finished it was working better than when this house was brand new four years ago. Total bill was $180, which I thought was fair.

On the otherhand I had an irrigation company come who were highly recommended, they didn't call for markouts, cut my phone lines, spliced them back together wrong so the phone went out again a few days later and the phone company ahd to come fix it. They also screwed up something they were supposed to be fixing. $2000 later... I won't be using them again.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:04 PM

'A neighbor gave me a reference. The guys name was Cleetus'

Sounds like brother to Maximus ! Was he also a part time Gladiator ?! Glad he did a decent job for you ; sometimes Gladiators work out well on plumbing issues (just dont tick 'em off !) Im moving to the Panhandle next year and hope i dont have the trouble my sisters has with workmen.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:05 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
If you live or have lived in rural Florida, did you have to endure such unprofessionalism in your dealings with workmen , or, is this typical of the South in particular ? Its far far less in the Midwest near a major city.
Welcome to Florida. I live in Lakeland and it's the same way here.

I come from PA and these type of people would be out of business so fast it would make your head spin. Not here though, the transient nature of the state allows for scammers and others to flourish. Northerners are very common prey for them types. They rip you off and move on to the next victim. Someone new is always moving into the area.

I'm so tired of the unprofessionalism and the scams that I can't wait to move away!

Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Welcome to Florida. I live in Lakeland and it's the same way here.

I come from PA and these type of people would be out of business so fast it would make your head spin. Not here though, the transient nature of the state allows for scammers and others to flourish. Northerners are very common prey for them types. They rip you off and move on to the next victim. Someone new is always moving into the area.

I'm so tired of the unprofessionalism and the scams that I can't wait to move away!

Good Luck.
Thanks for the tip ; being a Northerner coming to Florida, Ill be on guard.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I do all my own work myself. It is so difficult for a qualified person to get a license and go into business, so you will have a hard time finding good workers. Large companies hire the cheapest labor and that is why workmanship is so bad. I wanted to go into that line of work years ago, but the licensing process was expensive and impossible unless you work for someone who exploits you first. I ended up working on network servers instead.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
My experience with Florida trades is no different than the experience I had up north. I've learned to work with people that are licensed, and local. I ask for specifics, I want to know what I'm paying for. I've learned that if someone can't be specific about what and when before they start the job, I'm not going to be happy after the job.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I am in a semi-rural area, and needed a plumber last week. A neighbor gave me a reference. The guys name was Cleetus. I swear.

YouTube - Frank Zappa - Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus (♫)

Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I do all my own work myself. It is so difficult for a qualified person to get a license and go into business, so you will have a hard time finding good workers. Large companies hire the cheapest labor and that is why workmanship is so bad. I wanted to go into that line of work years ago, but the licensing process was expensive and impossible unless you work for someone who exploits you first. I ended up working on network servers instead.
Then this explains why so many are unprofessional in customer relations and their actual work performed. Up in the north, we call them Moonlighters . Very few are good .

Old 12-01-2008, 12:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I live not too far from there, and can say that before we do any sort of home repair, we ask the cricle of people we know for their experiences good and bad. Managed to find a pretty good CH&A guy that way. (who has unfortunately retired recently)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida