Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 AM

628 posts, read 1,836,151 times

Advertisements

The Florida legislature had what amounted to a successful “Special Session” earlier this year. There were tangible results that Both Republicans and Democrats were proud to be part of. Charlie Chist is off to a running start making good on campaign promises.

The feeling in Tallahassee is that there is tremendous political momentum that all parts of state government are involved in and want to see continue. We are now heading into the normal legislative session and there is a lot of energy focused on tax reform.

If even moderate tax reform is passed and the average homeowner sees a 25% decrease in their property taxes what do you think will happen?

People will continue to come to Florida in greater numbers?

People who were considering moving from Florida will re-consider and stay?

People will re-consider their housing payment and will look to upsize, downsize, or resize?

Housing prices will go up?

None of the above or all of the above?

Maybe this should be a poll but I’m really hoping to see conversation on the subject as there is real potential for significant tax reform now more than ever. Further if there is reform how will it affect you and shouldn't you become active in the political process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,777,875 times
25% isn't anything to get excited about when your taxes went up 300% in 5 years. If this is all they can do I am leaving Florida.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,217,605 times
I agree, we need more tax relief than 25% AND we need some provision so people won't be stuck in their homes because of SOH.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:10 PM

272 posts, read 1,002,114 times
I thought the property tax would be gone completly, and replaced with sales tax. Is that not correct?

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin..._opinion.shtml

Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 PM

628 posts, read 1,836,151 times
Here is a very interesting article about the buzz in Tallahassee regarding tax reform.

The article references quotes from several state representatives below are a few direct quotes from [the representatives] and the full article can be read at http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/16784469.htm

House Speaker Marco Rubio’s plan would establish a baseline for taxation by rolling back property taxes to 2000-2001 levels, adjusted by a formula based on inflation and population growth. Local governments could decide to go over the cap with only a two-thirds vote or a simple majority if two-thirds is not possible

I think this a great idea but it gets better - Rubio's plan calls for voters to decide whether to abolish property taxes in favor of an 8.5 percent sales tax, which would be the highest in the country.
Rep. Ron Reagan, R-Bradenton, threw his support behind Rubio's plan. "We're responding to what the people in the state of Florida have said," he said last week. "This is going to allow more people to buy more homes."

Sen. Mike Bennett said Florida's property tax system is "truly out of whack" and he endorses change to prevent business from leaving the state

Old 02-27-2007, 02:07 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,095,943 times
When will they decide? Early March? Me and dad doubt they will elimate prop. taxes but a 20% reduction is likley accroding to the newspaper. They may do away with "save our homes cap" so those who bought many years ago will actually see higher taxes but still much lower than if they sold their house and the new buyer would pay huge taxes. I estimate my dad's taxes would increase from $5k to $9.5k but still less than the $12k plus if he sold the house already or if the buyer has more than one house and cant get exemption then he pays the full $12k. Still my dad refuses to pay $9.5k and will probably sell that and get a smaller house or relocate out.

Florida would need to eliminate property taxes or reduce house prices significently and I must either win the lottery or become rich from my home internet business(at least $100k income) for me to afford to stay in FL and it wont be in south FL but north FL as I hate south FL. I think FL will be popular with rich people if no prop. taxes. There already is no state income tax.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,178,090 times
If even moderate tax reform is passed and the average homeowner sees a 25% decrease in their property taxes what do you think will happen? That will mean $250 to keep in my pocket.

People will continue to come to Florida in greater numbers?
Regardless of the property taxes situation, people will continue to come in the state. For some this is better than their current location. Others are looking for the paradise that you can only find here. Some like the flamboyant lifestyle that only Florida can provide. Our entertainment will continue to attract folks, people will look for employment do to the large unskilled market that we have. Weather is a factor that many enjoy and the seasonal transition will continue or increase.

Everyone has a different situation and the financial position will be the one that can only stop the newcomers.

People who were considering moving from Florida will re-consider and stay?
Some will change their minds, many will look to relocate to will continue to own property and make money from the ones relocating in...

People will re-consider their housing payment and will look to upsize, downsize, or resize? Better yet, folks should take a good look at their situation and try to live within their means not with the Jones....

Housing prices will go up? Possible

None of the above or all of the above? Some

Further if there is reform how will it affect you and shouldn't you become active in the political process? Yes, I can't complain if I'm not part of the solution.

Post a poll after you get 2 days of replies.... Great Post Shores9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida