Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:53 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you what, it doesn't get any better than today. It was 80 degrees, beautiful and lovely! We took a ride down to the ocean in that perfect weather and watched the water and listened to the waves crash against the shore. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
we had a beautiful day up here in NE fla also
I went plant shopping
I can't wait to plant them in the garden tomorrow

Old 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
And have you ever noticed that every major event in this country has a Florida connection?! (Not necessarily a good thing, just a thang!)
Here's a partial list of weird/wacky/tragic South Florida events that have made national news in the past 10 years (feel free to add anything I've missed):

Anna Nicole Smith dies in Hollywood; subsequent court battles over her burial and her child's father.

Likeness of the Virgin Mary "discovered" on a grilled cheese sandwich, which is put up for sale on eBay.

The "Raelians" claim to have successfully cloned a human being.

Nick Saban quits as Dolphins coach after insisting for a month he's staying.

The 2000 election featuring hanging chads, butterfly ballots, etc. (and subsequent '02 election marred by election supervisor Miriam Oliphant's shenanigans).

Deadly outbreak of anthrax in a Boca Raton office building shortly after 9-11.

Octogenarian grandmother Tillie Tooter is rescued days after being left for dead in a hit-and-run in which her car plunged into a swamp.

Elian Gonzalez.

Gianni Versace murdered in his home on South Beach.

O.J. Simpson moves to the Miami area.

Not to mention high-speed car chases, Miami political scandals, refugees washing ashore, etc.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Here's a partial list of weird/wacky/tragic South Florida events that have made national news in the past 10 years (feel free to add anything I've missed):

Anna Nicole Smith dies in Hollywood; subsequent court battles over her burial and her child's father.

Likeness of the Virgin Mary "discovered" on a grilled cheese sandwich, which is put up for sale on eBay.

The "Raelians" claim to have successfully cloned a human being.

Nick Saban quits as Dolphins coach after insisting for a month he's staying.

The 2000 election featuring hanging chads, butterfly ballots, etc. (and subsequent '02 election marred by election supervisor Miriam Oliphant's shenanigans).

Deadly outbreak of anthrax in a Boca Raton office building shortly after 9-11.

Octogenarian grandmother Tillie Tooter is rescued days after being left for dead in a hit-and-run in which her car plunged into a swamp.

Elian Gonzalez.

Gianni Versace murdered in his home on South Beach.

O.J. Simpson moves to the Miami area.

Not to mention high-speed car chases, Miami political scandals, refugees washing ashore, etc.
Now just look at the variety we can come up with. That is awesome. You know there is a saying in spanish which doesn't translate exactly right but it's something like.... I would rather they talk badly about me than not talk about me at all.
You see, we are very well known everywhere but the media loves to overinflate the sensational news, that's where the ratings come from. The good stuff, well, just leave it to us to enjoy quietly because we know what we have here in Florida and I bet you there are millions who would want to be in our shoes if they only could.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
Default the news if funny like that... i remember...

i remember when living in the asheville nc area, on the news (national news) they were talking about an african american woman in fla whose purse got snatched as some men tried to take her and her purse into their van... she got away, thank god. but the wierd thing is, a woman in asheville put her kid in the trunk for like 15 hrs while she went to work. it was really hot and the poor kid died. she was charged. not a word on the national news about that one though. i guess the news channels figure ppl want to hear the bad news about big cities

Old 03-01-2007, 03:35 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
Default curious why news programs do this sort of thing

why choose certain states/cities to show the crime on the news, and not others when we all know good darn and well other things happen other place?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Have you visit a town that makes you feel relax and welcome? St Augustine is one of those places. Lets post the other cities that are worth visiting......

Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Have you visit a town that makes you feel relax and welcome? St Augustine is one of those places. Lets post the other cities that are worth visiting......
Apalachicola, Homosassa Springs come to mind. Tallahassee is a larger town that tends to be very friendly and laid back.

There are many areas in cities that make me feel that way- San Marco in Jax being one. Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale on a Saturday morning.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:20 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Apalachicola, Homosassa Springs come to mind. Tallahassee is a larger town that tends to be very friendly and laid back.

There are many areas in cities that make me feel that way- San Marco in Jax being one. Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale on a Saturday morning.
These are the places that we need to visit to enjoy our state without the rush of the thousand of people that visit the parks....

Old 03-03-2007, 07:31 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
You know, I think the problem with Florida is that people are loving it to death. Yes there are many positives about living in Florida, but with each person who moves here, things get slightly more crowded. As a result of crowding all of the negatives start increasing. This is not rocket science.

So the gist of it is, Florida is less great than it used to be ten years ago. When people express an interest in moving here, it is the knee jerk reaction of those already living here to express all of the very valid reasons it is not perfect. And in opposite reaction, the person wishing to move here responds, "but this is America, I have a right to live where ever I want. You people are all lying to me."

So the Florida residents all sigh and say, "come and see for yourself - whatever..."

Then some of the savvy Florida residents say to themselves, "I know of a great secret part of the state where I'll go to get away from all of the yahoos who are invading my formerly safe and quiet town." So they move to the outskirts, or a swamp, or the countryside. And gradually the outskirts get more development, the swamp becomes a little less swampy, and the countryside suddenly has become a "new town."

Whatever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida