Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times

Advertisements

We have noticed that that home values are still dropping in FL. Mainly looking into the space coast and treasure coast area. My question is: are the prices starting to hold steady or still dropping "like a rock"? I understand not all areas will be the same. But just a rough quess-stimate. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 02:16 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
The pricing is being set by the banks. Foreclosure sales are making up about 50% of sold properties.
I'm seeing listing prices falling, but the actual selling prices have started to stabilize. The market is about at the 2002 level. In my area I see bank owned properties closing at about 95% of list.

Just using median price, and working normal historic appreciations of about 4% -6% annual appreciation. The current median is below where you would expect if you purchased in 2000.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
Consider the Panhandle to live. I just bought a nice 3 bedroom Home on one acre out in the woods yet 5 miles from a major town. The People are nice, values and morals abound, close to beautiful beaches.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Check the county appraisers web-site and you can see the current trend on sales. This is a free tool that you can use to you advantage.

Northwest Florida is also a great choice, construction of new home is available and on-going. Due to the large military population rotation homes are always available for sale. Next year the Army is relocation about 4 thousand members to the area and the prices will go up really fast.

Here is the link to the monthly sales...Sales Listings

Old 12-12-2008, 08:49 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times

We have never really considered the panhandle. I guess because it seems they get his really hard during the storm season. Or at least that what you hear on the Weather Channel Any truth to it?

We thought about Jacksonville. Our friend, former SR Chief, loves it there.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
St. Lucie County is still falling. Martin appears to be stablizing.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
We have never really considered the panhandle. I guess because it seems they get his really hard during the storm season. Or at least that what you hear on the Weather Channel Any truth to it?

We thought about Jacksonville. Our friend, former SR Chief, loves it there.
The threat of storms is why I never bought in the panhandle but the beaches do make you want to throw caution to the wind.

Jacksonville is the area in Florida that has the lowest occurrence of land falling tropical storms.

I looked at Jacksonville about 8 years ago, loved the area, almost bought a house in the Mandarin area, but someone else thought the house was special. And we tired of looking for a property that compared.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
The threat of storms is why I never bought in the panhandle but the beaches do make you want to throw caution to the wind.

Jacksonville is the area in Florida that has the lowest occurrence of land falling tropical storms.

I looked at Jacksonville about 8 years ago, loved the area, almost bought a house in the Mandarin area, but someone else thought the house was special. And we tired of looking for a property that compared.

You must be kidding ?! if you look at CityDatas info, youll see major hurricanes are VERY FEW and far between for the Panhandle. Prior to Hurricane Ivan which directly hit Pensacola, you have to go back to the 1960's to find another major hit. Further, living inland on the Panhandle offers a good buffer from sea storms.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM

P.S. I stand corrected ; I forgot about Major Hurricanes Opal and Dennis both occuring in 1995. The last one ,Hurricane Ivan happened in 2004, so....a 9 year spread in Hurricanes isnt really too bad (Gulf Coast Hurricanes)

Old 12-12-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
You must be kidding ?! if you look at CityDatas info, youll see major hurricanes are VERY FEW and far between for the Panhandle. Prior to Hurricane Ivan which directly hit Pensacola, you have to go back to the 1960's to find another major hit. Further, living inland on the Panhandle offers a good buffer from sea storms.
Man don't get me wrong I'm not dissen the panhandle, it's just that my impression over the many years that I've lived in Florida the panhandle is frequently in the cone. Remember it only takes 1 to ruin your day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida