Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 PM

35 posts, read 161,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
LOL... Don't apologize. Afterwards I saw another post that said you were bitten by a cat so, it's understandable. For me, it's hard to believe that anybody wouldn't like animals (kids I can understand - duhhh :-)). But it's like some people don't like chocolate. WHAT?????????? :-)

You sound like a good, good person. I think I will take your advice and get into some sort of animal abuse/cruelty society program or something and at least try to do "something" to help avoid it.
so true....kids...arugh.....$$$$ temper tantrums, disrespect, guess that's what makes the "nanny" so popular.

Moderator cut: link not allowed

i give to the 'chicagoland bully breed rescue" its a small non-profit... if you check out the aspca or the humane socieity...they have gotten around 1600 dollars....it's a good search engine and they give money..pennies add up!!
Then you can check out www.aspca.com they send me newsletters about ALL types of animals and legislation they are working on....they click you through it---when they send you an email... you just sign your name and it will go to your state rep. it's a form letter...i've been doing for years ---it's a legit site.
They work on alll type of legislation bills... it will say something like HR 137 / S 324 thats example numbers..but it's like house of representative bill number and senate number for the bill aspca is working on..
now before HR and S is one to make pit/**** fighting a major felony with jail time and steep fines...you could probably click through the website to find it since you are not on the mailing list yet.
every person counts, it's such a little thing we can do for ALL animals...they dont have a voice...we need to be a voice for them!! thanks for your help and input...
One last thing...i have doggie insurance thru aspca..i think cats are 24/month. i have value plan...pays for shots, accidents, injury, illness...just like BC/BS for people...people have insurance for kids....my kids are my dogs...so they have insurance.... that site is www.petshealthplan.com...the (broken link) claim turnover time is fast and they DO pay and cover what they say..you can cancel anytime... i had a shepherd who had lou gerigs disease at 5yrs olf...cost me a fortune to try and save her life when she got aspiration pneumonia..i would have gone bankrupt to save her...just couldnt though..so now i have the insurance ....just in case....
gotta go now...time to put the boots on and go out with my pitz crew...and make sure no one steals them outa the yard....
give kitty a treat or someplaytime ... that unconditional love, right!!! have a great nite!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,013 times
After years in animal rescue, I can tell you exactly why they call pitbulls "bulldogs" or even sometimes "boxer/mixed breed", and that is so that the dog will actually have a chance at getting placed into a home. Believe me, they do know the difference. I, for one, am not against any breed of dog. After years and years of working with dogs and training them, I am of the opinion that these so-called "dangerous breeds" are just wearing a different outfit of clothing. These so-called "dangerous" breeds are very simply physically powerful and extremely intelligent, and oftentimes, these dogs are paired with not-so-intelligent owners. Whenever you hear about a dog attack, there is always an owner who didn't properly socialize the animal, kept it away from other animals and people outside the home, had it chained to a tree outside, or let it run loose. Dogs kept that way are going to be territorial and going to bite out of fear. I personally think a list of the owners needs to be kept, rather than listing the dog or breed of dog as "dangerous". The irresponsible owners of these dogs are the dangerous ones. Glad you are a pitbull - and dog - enthusiast, Moving-Soon, and I wish you the best of luck with your relocation.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
After years in animal rescue, I can tell you exactly why they call pitbulls "bulldogs" or even sometimes "boxer/mixed breed", and that is so that the dog will actually have a chance at getting placed into a home. Believe me, they do know the difference. I, for one, am not against any breed of dog. After years and years of working with dogs and training them, I am of the opinion that these so-called "dangerous breeds" are just wearing a different outfit of clothing. These so-called "dangerous" breeds are very simply physically powerful and extremely intelligent, and oftentimes, these dogs are paired with not-so-intelligent owners. Whenever you hear about a dog attack, there is always an owner who didn't properly socialize the animal, kept it away from other animals and people outside the home, had it chained to a tree outside, or let it run loose. Dogs kept that way are going to be territorial and going to bite out of fear. I personally think a list of the owners needs to be kept, rather than listing the dog or breed of dog as "dangerous". The irresponsible owners of these dogs are the dangerous ones. Glad you are a pitbull - and dog - enthusiast, Moving-Soon, and I wish you the best of luck with your relocation.
The only reason I would ever want a BIG, BIG property (land) would be so that I could take in every homeless, abused, unwanted dog in creation. I wish I had more land right now but my two dogs are more than enough at the moment. I've been wanting a 3rd dog and I'm crazy enough that I may just do it soon. They do cost a fortune to maintain properly though. Between shots, spaying/neutering, microchip, flea & tick, heartworm, food, treats, toys, and obedience training.....darn stuff adds up! Not to mention any unplanned problems.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,707 times
Quote:

I cannot agree more with you! Everytime you hear about an "attack", there's ALWAYS error on the owner/human 100%. It's always one of a very few senarios... generally the dog is chained out back/running wild, often intact, unsocialized and untrained, was left to "raise itself" alone in the backyard and learned to rely heavily on it's wild instincts... there is generally a child/female involved in the incident, teasing it, afraid of it but forced to be in contact with it for some reason, or seen by the dog as a threat (when walking past the yard) as normal territorial dog behavior or seen as a competitor for it's food... also normal instinct of all dog breeds.

You wouldn't have a tiger chained in the backyard and expect it to be a perfect pet, so why do people think it's safe to do the same with any dog and take a 20 month old baby out there to help feed it??(the attack in Plant City this week) These things just really p*ss me off All breeds exhibit these behaviors. I used to work for the spca as well and have had to deal with more vicious "mini" breeds than "bad" breeds. The small ones just don't have the power, but are some of the nastiest of all! It all comes down to understanding the animal and training it and (I can't stress this enough) keeping the dog inside with the family(their pack). Dogs are social beings and just do not do well alone "out back". Sorry folks but it's the truth of it. Honestly I think instead of banning breeds, they should ban outside dogs alltogether and charge the humans with negligent injury/improper dog handling/ and a similar charge like that one we already have for letting a kid hurt themselves with the family firearm, when an attack happens. 100% of the responsibility is on the dog's owner or caretaker.

btw, I have 3 pits... all rescues from terrible neighbors. FedUp - you are right, the list should be of the people and they should be banned from owning another animal ever. Glad to hear from some sensible people on this topic. Sometimes it seems we are sooooo much in the minority.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 PM

moving-soon

Tampa Bay area is very dog friendly. There are several beaches and parks for dogs (on and off-leash) and pits are not banned here! Seems everyone has one ... *or two*... **or three **

Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
I cannot agree more with you! Everytime you hear about an "attack", there's ALWAYS error on the owner/human 100%. It's always one of a very few senarios... generally the dog is chained out back/running wild, often intact, unsocialized and untrained, was left to "raise itself" alone in the backyard and learned to rely heavily on it's wild instincts... there is generally a child/female involved in the incident, teasing it, afraid of it but forced to be in contact with it for some reason, or seen by the dog as a threat (when walking past the yard) as normal territorial dog behavior or seen as a competitor for it's food... also normal instinct of all dog breeds.

You wouldn't have a tiger chained in the backyard and expect it to be a perfect pet, so why do people think it's safe to do the same with any dog and take a 20 month old baby out there to help feed it??(the attack in Plant City this week) These things just really p*ss me off All breeds exhibit these behaviors. I used to work for the spca as well and have had to deal with more vicious "mini" breeds than "bad" breeds. The small ones just don't have the power, but are some of the nastiest of all! It all comes down to understanding the animal and training it and (I can't stress this enough) keeping the dog inside with the family(their pack). Dogs are social beings and just do not do well alone "out back". Sorry folks but it's the truth of it. Honestly I think instead of banning breeds, they should ban outside dogs alltogether and charge the humans with negligent injury/improper dog handling/ and a similar charge like that one we already have for letting a kid hurt themselves with the family firearm, when an attack happens. 100% of the responsibility is on the dog's owner or caretaker.

btw, I have 3 pits... all rescues from terrible neighbors. FedUp - you are right, the list should be of the people and they should be banned from owning another animal ever. Glad to hear from some sensible people on this topic. Sometimes it seems we are sooooo much in the minority.

Cool! My dogs and cats (5) all sleep in bed with us. They sit on us, they go just about everywhere we go and they get kissed and hugged constantly.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
After years in animal rescue, I can tell you exactly why they call pitbulls "bulldogs" or even sometimes "boxer/mixed breed", and that is so that the dog will actually have a chance at getting placed into a home. Believe me, they do know the difference.
Of course I recognize that it is the deed, not the breed. Have met some very nice pitbulls here, one of which spends all his days on a huge chain, completely unsocialized, in the backyard, never going for walks. We stop by to say hello and pet this sweet young dog--he's under a year old--most days.

And of course I do not doubt what you are telling me.
Two things blow my mind here:
#1: The fact that the humane society thinks potential owners are that ignorant, that calling a breed by a false name will get the dog adopted
#2: The fact that potential owners really might be that ignorant

I am pretty sure that the pitbull owners around here know what they have. I have not heard of any attacks in the 19 months I've lived here, where pitbulls are allowed, in northwest Florida--and that's good, because I don't think pitbulls (or, for that matter, other breeds) are for everyone.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM

25 posts, read 84,740 times
moving-soon, I couldn't agree with you more. Pits/AmStaffs are an awesome breed and to own one is a priviledge, not a right. 13 years with mine and '0' problems (but this wont make headlines). Ironically, I've always been more worried about him being stolen than anthing else. Nothing hurts me more than to see one abused or mistreated. I cringe at the thought of what I'd do to someone I caught mistreating a pitbull or any dog, but I'll spare you the details. Keep up the good work.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Cool! My dogs and cats (5) all sleep in bed with us. They sit on us, they go just about everywhere we go and they get kissed and hugged constantly.
lmao I know just how you feel! We had 3 dogs and 3 cats (lost 2 kitties this year to old age ) ... They just don't make these beds big enough do they? hehehhe!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

And of course I do not doubt what you are telling me.
Two things blow my mind here:
#1: The fact that the humane society thinks potential owners are that ignorant, that calling a breed by a false name will get the dog adopted
#2: The fact that potential owners really might be that ignorant
I find that people DON'T recognize 2 of my dogs as pits right away (1 never unless I tell them lol)... Pits can have very different looks and sizes and shapes. I ran across a website a while back that tests your ability to recognize a pit when you see one, and I didn't score very well at all! So many were boxer, bulldog, ridgeback mix... and they looked like pits. And many of the real pits loked like different breeds. Very interesting, as so many dogs claimed to be pits in "attacks" often are not pits at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida