Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 AM

598 posts, read 2,271,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
No, the other poster didn't say that he would put the dog down if it was protecting her owners. A grown man- a stranger- should not reach into a car with children without the parent's consent. That was provocation. I still agree with the poster.
Yes, that is precisely what he said... under no circumstance, for any reason. The dog bit a man coming through the door. It was protecting the home. Using your own logic that would be provocation, so it's allowable. Under his logic, your dog shouldn't do it under any circumstace EVER, no matter what the reason, even if provoked. And if it does... it should be euthanized. There is no difference in these two situations. lol Maybe reread the discussion again. You really don't agree with him. He would have your dog put down. I find your agreement facsinating since the logic here is in conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,240,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
Yes, that is precisely what he said... under no circumstance, for any reason. The dog bit a man coming through the door. It was protecting the home. Using your own logic that would be provocation, so it's allowable. Under his logic, your dog shouldn't do it under any circumstace EVER, no matter what the reason, even if provoked. And if it does... it should be euthanized. There is no difference in these two situations. lol Maybe reread the discussion again. You really don't agree with him. He would have your dog put down. I find your agreement facsinating since the logic here is in conflict.
Actually, in reviewing the posts, he never spoke to the issue of a dog biting to protect a family member. But it is obvious from rereading some of your posts that you see what you want to see. The issue debated repeatedly here is that of a pet biting a child and that is what the posters have predominately addressed.

Dogs reflect the temperament of their owners and I'm sure that yours does, as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 AM

232 posts, read 887,833 times
I was raised with dogs my whole life and love them. A dog is a product of how it is treated and it's environment.

Moving-soon unfortunately certain dogs do have bad reputations but it is because they can be killing machines in the blink of an eye especially to a child. If a chihuahua bites a child they may be scared, but if a pit bites a child due to thier lockjaw it means death. Last year in Huntington WV a beautiful two year girl opened a bedroom door where a pit was and she was attacked...the firefighters took a fire extinquisher to try and get the dog to release to no avail. The little girl died instantly. It was pretty gory and I wont go into details. The owner knew the dog could be dangerous and informed the mother that he had to step out for a few minutes so not to go into the house until he returned. The mother did so anyway.
Currently he is in prison awaiting appeal. The mother was never charged. I think she should be because she was told from the owner not to go into the house because of the dog.(Of course it is rumored it was all about drugs).

The thing with pets....and like I said I love dogs and have 2 and a cat and a ferret. they are animals and can be unpredictable at times. We had a dobey growing up that was the sweetest thing but there was a couple of times as he got older that he snapped when he was tired and did not want to be bothered. He was lying on the couch and my father went to make him get down. It is these unpredictable behaviors even in the best of dogs and breeds that make me and others leary because like a said if a chihuahua attacks you it is going to hurt but a large breed can kill.

I had a run in with a pit once and I had never been so scared. I was selling insurance and walking along some railroad tracks when it approached me. It was friendly and wagging its tail I petted it and everything!!!! 2 hours later after leaving the last house at the end of the road I was heading back to my car and this time the SAME dog came charging me with teeth exposed. I just stood there and we had a staring contest for about three minutes ( I was not about to run). He would walk a few distances away and then turn around and charge me again. (as if he was challenging me) I was so scared I was crying and began thinking...(Great here I am an animal lover my whole life and I am going to be killed by a dog). He never jumped me but would stop short and stand right in front of me growling and staring. He eventually walked off far enough that I thought I could make it to my car. I ran for it jumped in and slammed the door just in time for him to jump onto the car and attack the window. (I felt like I was in a Cujo movie with stephen king). It was awful. Like I said I had just been petting the same dog 2 hours prior and you would of thought he was the friendliest dog. It still gives me chills thinking about how close to death I came that day at 5.1 and 95 lbs at the time it wouldn't of been hard for him to maul me to death considering he was at least 60+ lbs himself.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 AM

232 posts, read 887,833 times
After reading the whole topic I have a little more to add on the subject. I think some dogs are just more mean by nature. The first minpin I had around my kids was great, she never bit, snapped or anything and was very loving. Unfortunately, a siberian husky climbed under my fence and killed her, boy did I cry!!!. (both of her parents were very friendly dogs). Later, I purchased another minpin from the same breeder but the father of the dog was different and I noticed when I went to purchase the pup he was so mean that he was placed in the bathroom when I was there. She grew up to be very snappy. She was raised the same way. I finally got rid of her and gave her to my parents because she snapped at my daughter. We currently have a chocolate lab and a rat terrier BOTH who have never snapped or attempted to bite any of my children. I agree with dogs vs humans....I would find another home for a dog, if I had a dog that was untrustworthy, but I would never keep it. I dont think all dogs have to be provoked to bite...some just do, it is the dominance thing many dogs see children as beneath them in the order of dog society and unlike adults they are to little to display their dominance as humans and the alfa dog making them targets.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM

991 posts, read 4,622,741 times
dear she dav, you I feel are right on right on target. I am sure you read my post about my friend's dog biting my son. Thetown where she lives suggested that she have the dog have a through physical, she refused. They advised her to keep the dog away from children because it was an unprovoked bite, she said she would not do that either, she could not live without the dog.Meanwhile she abandoned a lab a few years before to get the cocker spaniel because the lab was too big. Noone ever mentioned destroying the animal, just suggested she investigate why this happened because she has 4 small childen of her own. Dogs are very unpredictable, I too was raised with dogs, and we had one poodle that was a doll and one was horrible,bit all Mthe time my Mom placed it in a house where there was adults only and the dog still was aggresive. My Mom had a Yorkie that was like a pint sized Cujo and she was alone in the house with my Mom yet she had a dobie that was just like Goofy as simple and cute and gentle as could be, we had a Lhasa in my friends neighborhood that everyone was terrified of. I think it is really the individual dog.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,492,074 times
I totally agree that some dogs are mean by nature. The difference is the damage a 70 pound dog can do is different from an 8 pound dog.

If you have ever seen a pit attack another dog. It isn't pretty. 2 days before Chistmas I watched a 75 pound pit almost kill my Jack Russell. The pit came out charging at the Jack with no reason. This pit is great with people (though I wouldn't leave him around kids), since he was a puppy he has hated any other animal. Don't forget this breed is very determined. I literaly put my finger nails in the eye socket of the pit thinking he would be in pain and let go of the Jack, we obviously were hitting the pit everywhere so he would let go, nothing, finally after like 5 minutes of holding the pit still, the pit let go. I ran into the house with the Jack and took him to the emergency vet, many dollars later, the Jack is fine.

My husband and I only had scratches from the rocks on the ground (looked like we had fallen off a bike) and my husband had been bitten by the pit (obviously the pit meant to bite the Jack, not my husband). My husband should of gone to the hospital but...

We were very lucky that we were both home, one person couldn't control a pit when they are in that state of mind. We have decided to give the pit to a relative in NM with no neighbors for miles. This is a dog that is in a good home, that is breed with the instinct to kill other animals.

I just can't trust any pit bull anymore after watchingthe way they attack. These are very powerful dogs and should be highly respected. Remember these dogs were breed to fight many years ago, you can't take that instinct out of a dog. All pits have that fighting mentality in them, even the calmest ones. This is my experience with the breed, I don't expect to change any one opinion, but to open peoples eyes to the fact, that these are very powerful dogs that need to be controled.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-07-2007 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: added

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM

598 posts, read 2,271,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Actually, in reviewing the posts, he never spoke to the issue of a dog biting to protect a family member. But it is obvious from rereading some of your posts that you see what you want to see. The issue debated repeatedly here is that of a pet biting a child and that is what the posters have predominately addressed.

Dogs reflect the temperament of their owners and I'm sure that yours does, as well.
I guess you see what you want if you actually read it again and don't see the dog was defending the home. What was the dog doing then? I find it funny that you choose not to see the parallel there, although not unexpected. Hey that's fine. Just highlighting a conflicting parallel to provoke a little thought lol. No matter, see it however you like... I just found it ironic to agree with someone who doesn't believe as you do. Btw, the thread has been a plethora of different stories and debates on bites and dog treatment, temperment, breeds, etc.

I'm not sure what you meant by that last statement. Were you intending that as smart a$$ or a compliment? lmao

Old 03-10-2007, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 27,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You know nothing about me. I love animals and have owned many. I even have a large snake that I rescued and have had for almost 10 years. I was once almost killed rescuing a large turtle that had wandered onto a bust road. My wife and I are contributors to and volunteers at the Wild life care center in Broward county.

In fact we have a thing coming up on April 14 with Animal Planets Jeff Corwin if people would like to join in and meet him they can contact the WLCC at 954-5247154. Now back to the subject, people with their pets can get carried away with them even attributing them human qualities. This makes them feel good and pets are a healthy thing providing companionship and often filling emotional needs people have to be needed, they depend on you for their well-being. They connect with the owner in a non judgmental way that people rarely do.

I am sitting here trying to type as my Cockatiel (rescued) is busy throwing all my pens and anything else on the desk on the floor, one of her favorite activities. Pets can be a big part of the family but they are still animals and as much as I love them at no time are they more important then a human being. And yes, a dog is just a dog and should never be considered more important the a child. If you have a dog that bites you should be capable of taking the responsibility to destroy the animal before it hurts someone. Dog ownership comes with responsibility.
Hi everyone: I saw this post and had to say something. All Creatures regardless of where they came from or by whom, ARE IMPORTANT if they were not they wouldn't be here. We as humans are no less and no more important than any other animal. If we attack and hurt another person we are liable just as is an animal. The only difference between animals and humans is we can speak in order to communicate. Animals are no different then humans there are no two animals regarless of the breed that are the same they each have their own personality and there own thought process.
Just as each individual human does. We do not know what they are thinking we only speculate because it is our OPINION that an animal is or was unprovoked. We do not think like they do so we really cant say whether they were provoked or not. I had to put my cat down His name was Sasparilla he was a Siamese mix he was emotionally upset that a female cat (his sister seperated since kittens) had to move in with us (Friends house lost in a fire) she attacked him twice I boarded him for 3 days at the vets office, and had him fixed while we purchased a kennel for the other cat we would hold her till she was outside or in the kennal and she never was put on the floor she hissed at Sas like she did everyday. He went crazy kept attacking my other cat that had cared for him since he was a kitten (kiss-e-me). I did what I always did after keeping everything and everyone away for a half hour I went to get him and put him in the kennel till he felt more safe. He jumped on my head and gave me one bite laceration and two claw lacerations. Did I provoke him, no. He was upset for another reason, I still had to have him put down not because he did that because he became a danger to both the family and the other animals. It hurt to have to do that but It was what had to be done for the safety of all 13 dogs 3 other cats 6 children and 3 adults. An animal cannot say "hey I don't feel good today please leave me alone" So they use body language. It is not their fault they are what they are, just as it is not our fault we are what we are. But I can say safely, It is our fault they are what they are. Now that they are here we have to take responsability for careing for them and giving them ALL a chance they are not mistakes that we can just erase. But we can control how they are raised and better the chances of less attacks, on humans or animals. Also there are just as many reports, if not more of humans attacking humans then animals attacking humans not to mention we attack in so many different ways we don't just bite or scratch we , rape, stab, hit, kick, bite, throw things, shoot, molest and physically, mentally and emotionally hurt and abuse each other and all other creation. I think if we did to each other what we do to animals when they bite or scratch eventually it would be a good world.

I am so tired of Humans thinking they are more important then anything else in this world.. News Flash We Are NOT!!

A Pit Bull just like any other Animal or Human can be unpredictable! this is the nature that we all share. Stop with the "HUMAN BETTER THAN ANIMAL" , "ANIMAL BETTER THAN HUMAN" GOD, Or as I like to say THE GREAT SPIRIT CREATED ALL THINGS and we should respect THE GREAT SPIRIT by showing respect to all CREATION!

Thats all for now.

Last edited by Wolftraxs; 03-10-2007 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Incorrect spelling changed meaning

Old 03-10-2007, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 27,838 times
Smile Animal Hero's

BTW one of my favorite TRUE stories.
Was when a 4 Year old Child Was saved by a Neiboring Rotwieller from a pit bull attack- Isin't that Cool Both Dogs are considered bad dogs yet One of them being a good dog It wasn't even the Child Dog member but it saved him anyway!!

Later it was reported that the Pit Bull was bred and used for fighting.

Again. Human training, doing what they want instead of what is right. I think We should take the privelege of owning a pet away from people who use animals for these types of things.

Also: My Aunte recieved a Pit bull named Susy that was used for Fighting she was rehabilitated just by the gentleness of my aunte. She has never bitten a child and Every Night she does a round to check the Chickens, Bird aveary, Cows, Sheep and Goats she has never attacked any of them and when there is a sound from any one of those animals that to her sounds like trouble she is the first one investigating it. Funny Thing is Even the mailman likes her!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:01 PM

267 posts, read 1,142,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
"It is nothing but a dog?" That is infuriating! How can you say you love animals when you said they are "nothing". When you said a dog should NOT defend itself that is insane. IT IS THE PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY. I will say it- I hate kids and love animals. Just like some people don't like dogs- I hate kids. What I hate even more if parents who don't control there kids. And the poor defensless animal will suffer because of the parents. I find the more kids the less behaved. That is no excuse. You choose to have kids, control them. There are so many lazy parents out there. Can't hack it, dont have them. But don't make the animal pay for your kids being uncontrolled.

OK - I just have to jump in on this one.
Just as a note - I have owned dogs (mixes mostly), but not presently due to my living situation - but once we move into our home, we will be adding a dog to our family.
I don't think that macguy is saying that a dog is nothing - He is just placing more value on a child than a dog. Which I believe that anyone (except msjbrent) would do. I agree with macguy - If a dog bites for whatever reason - it shows that the dog is capeable of aggression and most dogs that bite, will do so again.

msjbrent - I believe that you have some serious issues. Your uncalled for rant on children shows some instabilities on your part. Not a fan of kids - no problem, but you are showing something different. And as a parent I take offense. YES, I DO agree that it is a parent's responsibility to teach thier children care and respect for animals. It is our responsinility to make sure that (in learning to grow up) that we make sure that or kids are not pulling tails and poking at eyes. I take a very preventative stand when my children are around animals - if they are familiar with them or not.

I think everone has lost site of this discussion. If a child is antagonizing and hurting an animal and the animal retaliates (sp), no, you don't run to the pound and gas em' - However, if (and be honest, don't say it NEVER happens) a dog attacks a child (or anyone for that matter) with no provocation - yea, I agree, that dog should be put down. Pitt or Golden! BUT - you don't hear of any Golden Retrievers mauling anyone do you??

Fact of the matter is this - I am moving into a brand new community and don't know any of my neighbors yet. You can be damn sure I will feel alot more comfortable finding out that my neighbor has a cocker spaniel than a Pitt.

I just have one question - What would you do if your child was bitten on the face and scarred (or worse) by your precious Pitt? Would you feel comfortable leaving them alone together again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida