Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,844 times

Advertisements

Only the people on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I read many posts from different states but I must say that it seems that the posts from Florida have by far the most anger expressed. Is there a lot of frustration down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 AM

speak for yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
LOL, complaining about NC/SC... Most Floridians would love to switch places. .

Old 12-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Maybe she should open up her options to other states, to get a job. There is more than just NY and FL--there's a whole world out there. Now, with the Madoff debacle, South Florida's economy will be even more devastated than it was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My older daughter moved down here two weeks ago. Not because she wanted to come here, but because she could not survive on her own in NY. She now is living with us.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
There is nothing fun about walking through slushy wet snow and 10 degree temps!
Speak for yourself.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
speak for yourself

I speak for many folks when I say that, perhaps not you.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default She got a job within 3 days of moving here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Maybe she should open up her options to other states, to get a job. There is more than just NY and FL--there's a whole world out there. Now, with the Madoff debacle, South Florida's economy will be even more devastated than it was before.
She had a job in NY. The problem is that she doesn't make very much money and she owes a lot of money in medical bills.

What state she lives in isn't going to make very much of a difference. She moved to Florida so she can live with us because she cannot afford to live on her own, even with roommates. What she needs to do first is get a good attorney and declare bankruptcy to get rid of the medical debt which is eating away at her paycheck (garnishees), which is very little to begin with.

It can get better, but it won't without effort, and a lot of time.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,221 times
Mrs P,

I have lived in both ... NC and FL... and some of the things you stated couldnt be further from the truth. I have to eat dinner, but will get back to them later on tonight. The illegal immigrants, the rude people at rush hour, the tax situation, hot summers and automobile accidents in particular.

Mrs P, do you know that my house in a nice area of Orlando, which is probably worth what I paid for it ($240k), that my taxes are $4000/yr? I have relatives in NC with a nicer home, bigger home, on a bigger lot, and worth more money that pay $1600/yr. Show me someone is NC that pays $4000/yr in property taxes on a less than 1,700 sq ft home on a .15 acre lot. PLEASE. I'd love to see it. Yes I know, you have to pay $143/yr for your car tax, I know. I pay that each month for HOA fees, as do most folks in newer subdivisions throughout FL.

Illegal immigrants, they are everywhere. I know that NC has lot of them, I used to live there, but as many as FL? I dunno. Many of them are hard-working folks anyway, so I really dont have a problem with that situation. Its the ones that are here legally, and do want to assimilate, that's what bothers me. And that is a MUCH bigger problem in FL than NC.

Rude people. This one was the one that made me laugh. You are talking about rude people in rush hour traffic in Charlotte? Have you ever driven in Orlando, S FL, Tampa during rush hour? Do you know how rude people are down here when it isnt rush hour? Do you know how much traffic accidents, road rage incidents, and deaths that happen on FL highways because people are careless, selfish, and in a hurry? Google "road rage in Orlando FL" and see how much if a problem is it here. And S FL is even worse. Did you know that S FL was crowned "Road rage capitol of the U.S." 3 yrs in a row (and Tampa in 2nd place right behind Miami)? Did you know that Orlando was "America's Angriest city" in 2006? You think people in NC are rude? LOL!!! You aint seen nothin' yet!

Hot summers in NC/SC? Yes. Of course, its the summer. But hotter than FL? NO. This isnt even worth discussing, kind of like the "rude" people because it isnt even a fair comparison, but for the sake of argument, have you ever been in FL summers and felt the oppressive heat and humidity? I know NC and SC very well, and I'd love to know where it gets hotter than FL in the summer. Please do tell. I know that every once in a while, it may be 94 in Columbia SC, but the humidity isnt at the levels of FL. It may be 93 in Orlando and 94 in Columbia SC, but the dew point and the humidity arent the same. The humidity in FL is like nothing NC (especially) or folks in SC feels. Although I will admit, it does get very hot in coastal SC in the summer, almost to the like of a FL summer.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Some of you seem to forget that I lived in Florida before 30 years ago. I left and never intended to come back. Actually, I only came back here 3 times in 30 years. My husband and younger daughter came many times and I stayed home with my older daughter, who is now here. We didn't want to come here. Ironic isn't it? Misery loves company since we are both now here together. When the two of flew down together from NY, she said as she got on the plane, "I WILL BE BACK". I feel the same way. I do not want to die in Florida. It hasn't reached that point yet, but someday if it comes right down to it, I may have to leave my husband and go back for my sanity. I try as much as I possibly can to totally ignore the palm trees and 80 degrees, but it is very, very difficult. I even considered working an overnight shift, so I would not have to be awake in the days and see all that. As another poster said of herself and me, I/we just don't belong here. I am the proverbial fish out of water.
Unless you really exaggerate your misery when you're posting on City-Data, you really should see a psychiatrist or psychologist. It's neither normal nor healthy to be so conflicted about your existence and not be able to make the best of a necessary but less-than-ideal situation. Most prison inmates cope better.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:31 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
I have lived in both ... NC and FL...
Didn't you jump in with the "you do not live here (now)" crowd on the other thread? If so, by your own beliefs, it's irrelevant that you lived in North Carolina. You can only speak about the places you frequent every day in Orlando.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default I am not conflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Unless you really exaggerate your misery when you're posting on City-Data, you really should see a psychiatrist or psychologist. It's neither normal nor healthy to be so conflicted about your existence and not be able to make the best of a necessary but less-than-ideal situation. Most prison inmates cope better.
I don't like it here and there is no doubt about it. I will leave someday, one way or another. It is the waiting and not knowing when that is so extremely frustrating. It would help extremely if I knew there was a light at the end of this tunnel.

Actually, if I could stay inside (like a prision inmate) constantly, I probably could cope better. Inside my house I could be anywhere in the entire country without being reminded of where I actually am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida