Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times

Advertisements

Some of the threads I have read stated that it is not a good time to buy a home in FL. I would think it is. With the influx of homes on the market. Some foreclosure/short sale and some not.
I have also read that the market has not hit bottom? Is that true. Mainly looking at Brevard county and IRC. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Anyone telling you that its about to hit bottom doesn't know what they are talking about. Same goes for anyone telling you its the time to buy. Very few on here seemed to understand what was going on in the housing market. I would do my own research if I were you. Home prices will be falling for a long time to come and subprime was just the TIP of the iceberg. 2009 and forward is going to be ugly. Not only do you have near prime and prime adjustable rate mortgages resetting next year. Also they are predicting job loses in or around 1 million per month. So that means people who had regular mortgages will most likely be defaulting as well. This is a unpresidented and sad time we are in.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 AM

wow, now I'm really depressed Is there any "good" news. I am being realistic. But I also tend to see the glass half full. Yes, it still hasn't hit the fan so to speak. But this is what happens when people purhcase what they can't afford.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Not sure if you saw the story last night on 60 Minutes. They covered some very interesting points. Here's a link to the story:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/12/60minutes/main4666112.shtml

They are talking about all of the Alt A and option ARM mortgages that will be adjusting. From what the economists are saying it may be several years until "the bottom" is finally reached.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Not sure if you saw the story last night on 60 Minutes. They covered some very interesting points. Here's a link to the story:

They are talking about all of the Alt A and option ARM mortgages that will be adjusting. From what the economists are saying it may be several years until "the bottom" is finally reached.
It usually takes as much time to burst as it did to build up. This thing started in 1998 and ended in 2007/8 (depending on the market being referenced.)

Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Not only may the bottom not be reached until around 2010, prices may bounce along the bottom for ten, even twenty, years, the time it may take for the current insanity to fade in living memory and another generation of pathological idiots to take over the banking system.

And many of us here on the Florida forum do not need the idiots from CBS to tell us that.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
Some of the threads I have read stated that it is not a good time to buy a home in FL. I would think it is. With the influx of homes on the market. Some foreclosure/short sale and some not.
I have also read that the market has not hit bottom? Is that true. Mainly looking at Brevard county and IRC. thanks
There are two ways of looking at this. If you're looking for real estate in general and aren't settled on a particular town or neighborhood then you may want to wait and see what the market does in the next six months or so. Even if the market has reached the bottom the glut of houses on the market ensures that prices will not increase substantially, if at all, in that period of time. On the other hand if your heart is set on a particular property that is already on the market, it is probably at the bottom (or close to it) for that house. It's ultimate selling price will be determined by the prospective buyer and the seller more than the general real estate market. If you're ready to move now is the time to buy. If you're not ready then it may be inadvisable to buy even if the prices are tempting. You'll find another thread a week or two ago that was asking the same question: buy now or later. The "later" for him was 8 years away and he got a lot of good advice on that score. You might want to check it out.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
no, wait 12 months. they want you to think its at bottom.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:27 AM

We still need to sale our home here in Ohio. Time is on our side. Just wondered what you all have been hearing in FL. The good thing is we are not in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida