Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeegirl View Post

Hi Tina:

I consider myself an authority on South Florida - I moved there 20 years ago from the Jersey Shore - biggest mistake of my life. In the last 10 years Florida changed drastically - people have always been for the most part - disfunctional, rude, have major attitudes, and no one looks you in the eye or has time for normal conversation. I experienced alot of unhappiness there and as a result have been relocating twice - most recently to north carolina where the job market is horrible - beautiful weather, friendly, but not alot to do for single women and no jobs - so now I am back again looking in a different part of Florida - further north - Jensen Beach area. My suggestion is if you are planning to move to south florida - be prepared - it's another planet. Good luck.
I haved lived in Florida all my life,so that makes me somewhat of an authority also.The rude dysfunctional people that you talk about are usually transplanted northerners like you.Why did you come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysmon View Post
I haved lived in Florida all my life,so that makes me somewhat of an authority also.The rude dysfunctional people that you talk about are usually transplanted northerners like you.Why did you come back.
This thread is really old so you aren't going to get a reply back from them, but wow, her screen name, "jerzeegirl", makes her an "authority figure" saying that ONLY she has the right to talk about "rude and dysfunctional" people because "I lived here for 20 years". Funny thing is the people that complain about these things are the rude and dysfunctional people. Visit some of these places the "halfbacks" are moving to. Wow, the biggest nutcases I have ever met in my life live in these places that were probably once beautiful in the natural state. Hey, kind of like Florida! What I can't stand the most is that the people who ruined it have the nerve to complain about it, brining their terrible attitudes from up north or wherever they came from, expecting people to kiss their ass with "friendliness" and expect their lives to miraculously change but don't want to give anything in return. I have met people in real life here and there that sound just like the people on this forum, and I met a whole boatload of them in Charlotte and Atlanta. These "malcontent" types are some of the worst people to work with too. They will be the first to talk about how their co-workers/etc aren't "doing their job" but in the meanwhile all they do is complain instead of doing something for THEMSELVES. People will just never learn that it's in them, and of course some cities aren't right for certain people, but there just gets to a point where you need to settle down and work to improve your location, instead of trying to find a location to improve you. I.E I moved to Orlando. I didn't like it, so I moved down south. Of course that probably makes me crazy, but I decided to just plant myself and I have no real problems with the people here. Not saying they are warm and friendly but I don't have a problem talking to people.

Notice how she complained that the job market is "terrible"? The job market is excellent in the cities in NC for any well educated or hard working person, and that's the draw to that state IMO.

I live in the head cesspool of Weston and have had no problem making friends, looking for people to "talk to", haven't been robbed at gunpoint, don't need to speak Spanish (yeah even in Weston imagine that), etc, so I really wonder if it's about your own personal attitude or if I am just in a floaty dream world. Yes, the people here are far from warm and friendly, and have a rushed, aggressive way to them, but like you said...

I am NOT a native, and I 100% agree with you. Too many people bring their damn baggage down to Florida with them and expect things to change out of nowhere, and when they aren't doing anything to improve their lives, they blame it on the other people around them or move somewhere else expecting the same. I try to look for ways to IMPROVE my community and FORM community and IMPROVE my own life. There are so many people from the north who moved to Florida and just looked to dump their problems here instead of solve their problems.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-13-2008 at 10:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
Default I heard the new gov. of NY just raised your taxes, too...

Our electric bill was awesome this month. $86.00 but then we didn't need much air (though it did run all month) and we turn off lights when not in room. But our gasoline is about $3.50 a gal. Still we are enjoying sunshine filled days and cool nights. Not too shabby, NY. But visit before you quit jobs and pull up stakes. FL is not for everyone but it is for this former Buffalonian.

Oops, just noticed the old date. Oh, well, I still can't get over our electric bill. But the telephone bill makes up for it. LOL

Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
This thread is really old so you aren't going to get a reply back from them, but wow, her screen name, "jerzeegirl", makes her an "authority figure" saying that ONLY she has the right to talk about "rude and dysfunctional" people because "I lived here for 20 years". Funny thing is the people that complain about these things are the rude and dysfunctional people. Visit some of these places the "halfbacks" are moving to. Wow, the biggest nutcases I have ever met in my life live in these places that were probably once beautiful in the natural state. Hey, kind of like Florida! What I can't stand the most is that the people who ruined it have the nerve to complain about it, brining their terrible attitudes from up north or wherever they came from, expecting people to kiss their ass with "friendliness" and expect their lives to miraculously change but don't want to give anything in return. I have met people in real life here and there that sound just like the people on this forum, and I met a whole boatload of them in Charlotte and Atlanta. These "malcontent" types are some of the worst people to work with too. They will be the first to talk about how their co-workers/etc aren't "doing their job" but in the meanwhile all they do is complain instead of doing something for THEMSELVES. People will just never learn that it's in them, and of course some cities aren't right for certain people, but there just gets to a point where you need to settle down and work to improve your location, instead of trying to find a location to improve you. I.E I moved to Orlando. I didn't like it, so I moved down south. Of course that probably makes me crazy, but I decided to just plant myself and I have no real problems with the people here. Not saying they are warm and friendly but I don't have a problem talking to people.

Notice how she complained that the job market is "terrible"? The job market is excellent in the cities in NC for any well educated or hard working person, and that's the draw to that state IMO.

I live in the head cesspool of Weston and have had no problem making friends, looking for people to "talk to", haven't been robbed at gunpoint, don't need to speak Spanish (yeah even in Weston imagine that), etc, so I really wonder if it's about your own personal attitude or if I am just in a floaty dream world. Yes, the people here are far from warm and friendly, and have a rushed, aggressive way to them, but like you said...

I am NOT a native, and I 100% agree with you. Too many people bring their damn baggage down to Florida with them and expect things to change out of nowhere, and when they aren't doing anything to improve their lives, they blame it on the other people around them or move somewhere else expecting the same. I try to look for ways to IMPROVE my community and FORM community and IMPROVE my own life. There are so many people from the north who moved to Florida and just looked to dump their problems here instead of solve their problems.
You said it all - and I 100% agree!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
Our electric bill was awesome this month. $86.00 but then we didn't need much air (though it did run all month) and we turn off lights when not in room. But our gasoline is about $3.50 a gal. Still we are enjoying sunshine filled days and cool nights. Not too shabby, NY. But visit before you quit jobs and pull up stakes. FL is not for everyone but it is for this former Buffalonian.

Oops, just noticed the old date. Oh, well, I still can't get over our electric bill. But the telephone bill makes up for it. LOL
Congratulations on your low bill! We're still using heat - 37 degrees yesterday and 47 degrees right now, so our bill will be high again this month. We would love to enjoy the sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida