Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I don't feel the need to make my northern-based friends and family jealous at all. What would be the point in that? I just know that they HATE the cold weather and snow in the Midwest right now and would love to be down here. They tell me that everytime I talk to them - I'm not assuming anything. I know that there are a lot of people that would like to trade places with Floridians this time of year!
as Ice Storms which we got more frenquently on LI than snowstorms. We got one of those just months before I moved here. My car looked like an igloo. It was literally stuck in my driveway in about 3 inches of ice. You can shovel snow, but what do you do with ICE? I tried to break it with a shovel, but broke the shovel instead. I just prayed for the sun to come out and melt it. It did. Fortuntately for me, since I had to go work a midnight shift. It was melt ice now or don't work tonight. Nope, I did not say even then, golly gee, in a few months I won't have to deal with this ever again. I didn't. I guess this is just what "survival" is all about. Some people are cut out for it, some aren't.

You appreciate Spring and Summer up North. The winter ends. I appreciated the SUN in the winter up North. I smoke and had to go outside to smoke. I did that even when the wind chills were below zero. Yeah, then you like the sun. Here in Florida I have actually come to HATE the sun. I never thought I would feel that way but I do. Blazing hot sun that never goes away. Endless hot sun. I would kill for just a CLOUDY, rainy day. Maybe those people right now might say they would want to be in Florida, but would they really want it 12 MONTHS a year? Most, at least all the people I know, would resoundingly say NO. There was a thread a while ago on the NY board which asked this question. There were very few takers for moving to Florida, even as snowbirds.

Oh, well what can I say. I just am not cut out for Florida. The same as some are not cut out for living up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,498,132 times
Quote:
I know that there are a lot of people that would like to trade places with Floridians this time of year!
Would they be also willing to trade wages,lol

Old 12-22-2008, 11:49 PM

485 posts, read 1,698,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
as Ice Storms which we got more frenquently on LI than snowstorms. We got one of those just months before I moved here. My car looked like an igloo. It was literally stuck in my driveway in about 3 inches of ice. You can shovel snow, but what do you do with ICE? I tried to break it with a shovel, but broke the shovel instead. I just prayed for the sun to come out and melt it. It did. Fortuntately for me, since I had to go work a midnight shift. It was melt ice now or don't work tonight. Nope, I did not say even then, golly gee, in a few months I won't have to deal with this ever again. I didn't. I guess this is just what "survival" is all about. Some people are cut out for it, some aren't.

You appreciate Spring and Summer up North. The winter ends. I appreciated the SUN in the winter up North. I smoke and had to go outside to smoke. I did that even when the wind chills were below zero. Yeah, then you like the sun. Here in Florida I have actually come to HATE the sun. I never thought I would feel that way but I do. Blazing hot sun that never goes away. Endless hot sun. I would kill for just a CLOUDY, rainy day. Maybe those people right now might say they would want to be in Florida, but would they really want it 12 MONTHS a year? Most, at least all the people I know, would resoundingly say NO. There was a thread a while ago on the NY board which asked this question. There were very few takers for moving to Florida, even as snowbirds.

Oh, well what can I say. I just am not cut out for Florida. The same as some are not cut out for living up north.

Oh,I totally agree. Some people just aren't cut out for some places. Either you like a climate, or you don't. I grew up in Northern IL and WI and really couldn't stand the cold weather and snow. Believe me, I plotted and planned and dreamed about the day I could move to either FL or CA, and neither have disappointed me (for the most part - no place is perfect!). I used to get very depressed during the winter months, and felt like I was trapped in a cave - I'm just not cut out for that type of climate. I wish I was, because all of my family lives in IL and it is hard being so far away!

It's funny that you say that about "too much sun" because I felt that way about living in L.A.! I love the sun, but sometimes you need a rainy day. When we moved back to FL I was thankful for the storms, as long as they weren't hurricanes!

When I lived in Miami, the constant hot days did really get to me after a while, especially around the holidays. But living farther up north now (we're near Gainesville), we really do get cold weather -- it is about 30 degrees tonight and I am freezing! I feel like there is a nice change of weather up here, just without the snow!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:03 AM

Default I lived in Gainesville a long time ago

Quote:
Oh,I totally agree. Some people just aren't cut out for some places. Either you like a climate, or you don't. I grew up in Northern IL and WI and really couldn't stand the cold weather and snow. Believe me, I plotted and planned and dreamed about the day I could move to either FL or CA, and neither have disappointed me (for the most part - no place is perfect!). I used to get very depressed during the winter months, and felt like I was trapped in a cave - I'm just not cut out for that type of climate. I wish I was, because all of my family lives in IL and it is hard being so far away!

It's funny that you say that about "too much sun" because I felt that way about living in L.A.! I love the sun, but sometimes you need a rainy day. When we moved back to FL I was thankful for the storms, as long as they weren't hurricanes!

When I lived in Miami, the constant hot days did really get to me after a while, especially around the holidays. But living farther up north now (we're near Gainesville), we really do get cold weather -- it is about 30 degrees tonight and I am freezing! I feel like there is a nice change of weather up here, just without the snow!
There is a big difference in the weather between North and South Florida, where I am now. I can remember regularly putting the heat on in at night in the winter in Gainesville. I don't remember it getting much above the high 60s or low 70s in winter during the days. I certainly don't remember it being 90+ with heat indexes over 100 every day for months and months and months.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:41 PM

485 posts, read 1,698,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Would they be also willing to trade wages,lol
Probably not, LOL! Good point.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 AM

910 posts, read 2,283,297 times
Quote:
Yeah, then you like the sun. Here in Florida I have actually come to HATE the sun. I never thought I would feel that way but I do. Blazing hot sun that never goes away. Endless hot sun. I would kill for just a CLOUDY, rainy day. .
I cannot help but wonder where you are, where I live my complaint is that sometimes there's not enough sun but too much rain. The other day I went outside because finally the sun had come out after several cloudy or rainy days, however, 9 minutes after I sat in my yard the sun got engulfed by clouds and after waiting a while in vain I ended up going back inside.

gypsystar:

I thought I would have relief of SAD here but was pretty disappointed. Oh, don't get me wrong, I do better during the winter because here it's usually dry and, therefore, sunnier, but the rest of the year has way too many cloudy/rainy days for me to feel as good as I expected, I must say in that regard I was disappointed.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:05 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,220,756 times
Quote:
I certainly don't remember it being 90+ with heat indexes over 100 every day for months and months and months.
I love how you all cry about 90's being hot.

Come spend July and August up in the midwest and you'll see what hot is. I lived in Kansas City in 1999 during the great heat wave there. We had something like 37 consecutive days above 90, and half of those were even over 100. One day I remember well was when it hit 113* and it was awful out. I think that at night the temp only went down to about 95*. Everyday on the news they would talk about the heat related deaths around town which were usually elderly or homeless people.

That's a pretty extreme example of what summer is like here, but it can get just like that for a few days at least.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 AM

Default Not Hammond, Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I love how you all cry about 90's being hot.

Come spend July and August up in the midwest and you'll see what hot is. I lived in Kansas City in 1999 during the great heat wave there. We had something like 37 consecutive days above 90, and half of those were even over 100. One day I remember well was when it hit 113* and it was awful out. I think that at night the temp only went down to about 95*. Everyday on the news they would talk about the heat related deaths around town which were usually elderly or homeless people.

That's a pretty extreme example of what summer is like here, but it can get just like that for a few days at least.
I spent my summers there as a kid. I don't remember it being brutally hot. In fact August nights got pretty cold. They used to say Fall is on its way.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 AM

88 posts, read 268,397 times
It's late december after christmas and I feel like I've gotten so much more accomplished down in Florida than I would have up north. In Florida I went fishing with my brother and father, visited Naples pier and downtown Naples, went on a University of Miami tour and ate at a an cuban restaurant, I worked out and took a run outside, visited my family here, played basketball, went on a tour of the everglades, and swam in the gulf of mexico. And this was all in the span of 1-2 days after Christmas. I'm not trying to make people up north "envious" and I bet many of them wouldn't be jealous of me living in Floirda. I'm just trying to say that there are different lifestyles for different types of people, Florida works great for me, others not so much.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,498,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
I'm not trying to make people up north "envious" and I bet many of them wouldn't be jealous of me living in Floirda. I'm just trying to say that there are different lifestyles for different types of people, Florida works great for me, others not so much.
You are right, trust me, I know no one that would be envious of you up North except maybe some retired folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida