Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 33,224 times

Advertisements

Minnie, if you are not planning on spendind on shutters for now you might find this tip helpfull.
cut your quality plywood to the exact measure of the window, place the plywood to fit just like you woul the window screen, and drill large screws not on the wood but on the side concrete letting them stick out enough to hold the wood securely. number your plywood to identefy with each window.
we have done this in our home in Miami and have had the same plywood for ten years, people have been amazed because our plywood survived where shutters have been blown off. We figure is the fact that since they are tucked in the window the wind cant lift them off.
hope this helps.
our house is currently rented and the tennants are still usinf them since they are eazy to install being that the holes are in place and the plywood is numbered all you need to do is drill the scres back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 10:00 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
OK - so I know that hurricane season starts in June, right?? Well I will be moving there in June. I was thinking that maybe I should start getting some supplies up here (LI) like plywood and stuff and moving it there with me. I have this delusion that a hurricane will be approaching when I move there and I will be left with no supplies Wha'dya think?

One thing I would advise you on taking is a generator, when the power goes out for a week you will love that thing..lol.. Buying one in Florida is really expensive. When we lived in Florida I bought a 5500 watt here in Tn for a little over $500.00, in Florida I saw the same generator for $1600.00. (rip off) The generator supplied power to the whole house for lights and 110 volt appliances (have to flip breakers off for 220 volt like water heater).We were the only house in my neighborhood with power and fresh coffee in the morning..lol.. One of the main things is you can stock your fridge with food and won't lose it due to the power being out. We always kept 8 five gallon cans of gas stored in the garage for the generator during hurricane season.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:28 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,216 times
Thanks for all of the great advise! I will make a note of those weather sites for sure.

I asked my builder if the house came with shutters and he said that they only supply them if you are in a high wind area or a flood zone, and we are in neither - which is good I guess.

Nina - That is a great idea with the plywood, I will have to pass that task on to hubby.

Jim280 - I bet you are right - the price of a generator will probably be alot cheaper up here since it will not be in such a demand as down there.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:26 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
IF you can afford a generator get a unit that is wired to you electrical box. Very good system and is dependable. The generator run on natural gas and is very low cost compare to gas.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 AM

142 posts, read 578,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Thanks for all of the great advise! I will make a note of those weather sites for sure.

I asked my builder if the house came with shutters and he said that they only supply them if you are in a high wind area or a flood zone, and we are in neither - which is good I guess.

Nina - That is a great idea with the plywood, I will have to pass that task on to hubby.

Jim280 - I bet you are right - the price of a generator will probably be alot cheaper up here since it will not be in such a demand as down there.

Or you can wait until a hurricane comes through and (if your area is declared a disaster area) FEMA will buy you one. And demand may not be what you think it is (depending on your area), as many people have purchased one from previous storms. We had 3 hurricanes in 13 months and by the time Wilma rolled around generators were easy to find a day or 2 after the storm..

Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
Funny you mentioned that when my husband and I were looking at florida we had the same thought. We also figured we would keep several cases of water and can foods on hand and rotate them as needed. Also a few gas cans.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:22 PM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
You always have weeks of warning before a hurricane. Once you move down you can get some plywood and keep it in the garage.

Generators are the same exact price at Home Depot when you order online anywhere in the US.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
You always have weeks of warning before a hurricane. Once you move down you can get some plywood and keep it in the garage.

Generators are the same exact price at Home Depot when you order online anywhere in the US.
Try buying generators directly from the stores during hurricane season, I saw Home Depot and Lowe's raise prices ridiculous. Not to mention the small hardware stores.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
IF you can afford a generator get a unit that is wired to you electrical box. Very good system and is dependable. The generator run on natural gas and is very low cost compare to gas.

I looked at one of those at Lowe's a couple years ago when I lived in Florida, best I can remember they were $10,000.00,at least the one I looked at was. Have to pay for it in advance before they will order it they told me. They are nice if you want to put that much money in a generator.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
If you want to purchase a generator now is the time. I have a 12K watts and provides power to the whole house, purchased in 2004 for $999.99 at the Army Air force Exhange (BX), FEMA gave me $750.00 back. If you purchased the unit up north might be cheaper, just compare prices. If you wait until the hurricane season starts the prices might be higher....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: