Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,150,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Not only are the wages low, but employers have a "cattle call" mentality when it comes to their employees.
Are you stating a universal generalization about that? That is, "All the wages in Florida are low", and "All employers in Florida have a 'cattle call' mentality when it comes to employees".

Or are you just saying that that's what it's been like in your experience? (And again, as a universal generalization about that: "My wages in Florida have always been low", and "Every employer I've encountered had a 'cattle call' mentality"?)
Quote:
I've gone on degrading group interviews where you wait in line to be marched in front of a hiring manager, was told "here's the salary, take it or leave it," and they had no interest in my actual experience or skill set.
I wouldn't interpret that as degrading at all, actually, and I actually like the approach of starting the interview with "Here's the salary and it's non-negotiable". That way it immediately lets both parties avoid wasting any more time. I always hated playing the negotiation game at job interviews, and I've quite a few times said, "I'm sorry, the reason that I told you x amount when you asked me about the salary I need is because that's the salary I need, not because I want to negotiate a lower price--I gave you an honest answer off the bat, and that's it." (And yes, I've gotten jobs after saying that.)
Quote:
Many employers in FL are just looking for the cheapest labor, rather than the most skilled,
Now that, which is an existential generalization, I agree with. I also agree that many employers in New York, Iowa, California, etc. are just looking for the cheapest labor.
Quote:
which never made any sense to me as this usually results in such high turnover because the employees often aren't a good fit for the position and end up leaving after a few months, and then the process starts again.
I agree that it doesn't make good business sense to just go with the cheapest labor.
Quote:
I disagree with this . . .
I also disagree with a universal generalization that "All employers in Florida will offer raises, pay according to how well the job is performed", etc., if someone had been stating that. However, I would agree with both, "Many employers in Florida will offer raises, pay according to how well the job is performed", AND I'd agree with, "Many employers in Florida will NOT offer raises, pay according to how well the job is performed."

Last edited by Tungsten_Udder; 12-19-2008 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Eim the type, Oh King
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I agree 100% with the original poster and this is a big reason why I left the state. Not only are the wages low, but employers have a "cattle call" mentality when it comes to their employees. I've gone on degrading group interviews where you wait in line to be marched in front of a hiring manager, was told "here's the salary, take it or leave it," and they had no interest in my actual experience or skill set. I've known many other people that have gone through this type of interview as well. It wasn't until I interviewed out of state that I had my first opportunity to actually negotiate a salary. Many employers in FL are just looking for the cheapest labor, rather than the most skilled, which never made any sense to me as this usually results in such high turnover because the employees often aren't a good fit for the position and end up leaving after a few months, and then the process starts again.

I disagree with this. In my last job before leaving FL, I was a true professional and went above and beyond in all my duties. My manager had great confidence in me, and continually expanded my duties. I ended up filling in for him in a supervisory role when he was out of the office, I was the "unofficial" trainer of all the new hires, I helped transition a large group of employees to our location after our company bought theirs, and I led training seminars when our company rolled out new updates to the computer system. My manager was hoping that "upper management" would allow me to move to a permanent trainer role and be compensated accordingly. When it came time for my review, I was told they would not be adding an "official" trainer at this location, but asked if I would continue to "help out" with the new hires. I was then offered the "maximum" raise of .50 cents an hour which put me up to a whopping $12.06/hour. That sealed the deal on my move out of FL.
Great post Mugatu! Your experiences have been shared by me and many I know.This is why most of my college buddies have left this state never to return (and have all found sucess) and why I will be returning to where I belong shortly. In these tough economic times one must try to maximize ones wages and career advancement opportunities. Florida has always been lacking in these departments and will likely remain the same for years to come.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM

259 posts, read 840,865 times
Many people don't realize that South Florida's "recession" really started long before the rest of America's "official recession". It's been a slow economy down here for quite sometime and it's going to take a lot longer to bounce back. It took me about 6 months before my "sunshine denial" wore off to realize this.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
The low wages and low regard for the value of quality employees may, in fact, strike a more pronounced blow at the entire infrastructure of the state as this national economic slowdown continues. Relying on the tourist dollar and the retirement pensions of the "non-native" relocators as the primary sources of a strong state economy have benefited (and yes, weakened as well) the unrelenting growth of Florida. What happens now that nonessential spending is either curtailed or eliminated by those tourists who no longer have the money to spend on the vacations or retirement homes?

There is an old expression that you can't get blood from a turnip. How can Floridians be taxed to compensate for the state's economic shortfalls when they don't make enough money to even "dig deeper"? Once one gets past the unemployed, the underemployed, and the wage poor, who is left to sustain the slumping economy of the state?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
. . . those tourists who no longer have the money to spend on the vacations or retirement homes?
I had heard that retirement home tourism was big.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
It sure seems that MOST of the people responding are in agreement that IN GENERAL.... Florida's wages are very low. I even recall someone giving specific examples.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
It sure seems that MOST of the people responding are in agreement that IN GENERAL.... Florida's wages are very low.
Yes. Too bad I can't make some money on that prediction.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Definitely agree with the posts, I left after university after about 6 months of job searching and went to Chicago instead... made around twice what the same jobs were paying for in Florida.

Now I am back here for grad school for a few years... and I will leave once again just b/c the job opportunities are soooo lacking.

I can't even find a little part time job that is worth a crap, I see these part time jobs that pay around 12-15 in Chicago paying 7 an hour here (I'm not talking McDonalds I'm talking office jobs in IT/Law/Gov... that is LESS than minimum wage come January. horrible! and the cost of living, frankly isn't much difference, could be cheaper in Chicago actually if you take public trans, live in right area, etc.

Frankly, the job wages in Florida are a big slap in the face for actually going to College...

Last edited by grapico; 12-20-2008 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,906 times
It still comes down to research. When considering moving here I was well aware of the right to work, the lower than NE wages, and the lack of employment in certain areas. I weighed all things out to decide if it was worth it to me. I found employment in which I was paid more in an area that is still young and growing (slowly, which I like) and have been pleased so far. I do understand others complaints and am sure they are valid from area to area. From what I have read, Tennessee seems to be the place to go. It has 4 seasons, friendlier people, cheaper to live. I think many of the unhappy posters here should investigate a possible move there. This way, they will find something more to their liking, and emptying out the overcrowded parts of Florida. Jobs will open up here and maybe things could balance out more. But whatever one wants to do, it must be researched first. Happy Holidays and may all those of you find a place you are proud to call home.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
It still comes down to research. When considering moving here I was well aware of the right to work, the lower than NE wages, and the lack of employment in certain areas. I weighed all things out to decide if it was worth it to me. I found employment in which I was paid more in an area that is still young and growing (slowly, which I like) and have been pleased so far. I do understand others complaints and am sure they are valid from area to area. From what I have read, Tennessee seems to be the place to go. It has 4 seasons, friendlier people, cheaper to live. I think many of the unhappy posters here should investigate a possible move there. This way, they will find something more to their liking, and emptying out the overcrowded parts of Florida. Jobs will open up here and maybe things could balance out more. But whatever one wants to do, it must be researched first. Happy Holidays and may all those of you find a place you are proud to call home.
Your optimism is refreshing, but I do not share your outlook. Where did you find your information that jobs will "open up"? Will these projected jobs produce a livable wage for the workers? Have you experienced the disappointment yet that has been absorbed by many quality and experienced Florida workers who have been fired without cause? Tennessee is not the panacea for what ails an increasingly larger group of unemployed and/or underpaid Florida citizens.... secure jobs that provide livable wages will.

Will your optimism be enough for the nearly 50% of the state of Florida public school children receiving free and reduced lunches ( the truest indicators of widespread wage disparity and poverty in the state)? As many are now finding that the grass is not always greener in Florida, many will find the same as they search for their utopia elsewhere. The solution is not to run away from the problems, it is to get angry enough to instill change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida