Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Tungsten_Udder the man that defends Florida but chooses to live in the great state of NJ. Come on down Tungsten, no need to be in NJ if you love Florida,lol.
Yeah, I must be wrong if I'm not living mostly in Florida at the moment. That's solid reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
What's worse is that people just accept it and move out, they don't try to change it, they struggle and beg the lord to help them get through tough times but they don't research and try to figure out why the wages are so low.
Supply and demand my friend.

There are so few jobs in Florida and so many people looking for work.

Employers can pay minnimum wages if they wanted to and could get away with it because they have over 1,000 apps on file at any given time.

One of my last straws with Florida was when I moved back and was in Ft. Myers. I couldn't find work ANYWHERE and broke down to applying to Old Tyme Pottery. I was hired because I had a few years experience in maintenance. It paid $6.25/hr and was only 35 hours a week. When hired the manager guy showed me a stack of apps that he said was over 1,500 and I believed him the stack was like almost a foot high.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default We knew a man who was an engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post

Employers can pay minnimum wages if they wanted to and could get away with it because they have over 1,000 apps on file at any given time.

One of my last straws with Florida was when I moved back and was in Ft. Myers. I couldn't find work ANYWHERE and broke down to applying to Old Tyme Pottery. I was hired because I had a few years experience in maintenance. It paid $6.25/hr and was only 35 hours a week. When hired the manager guy showed me a stack of apps that he said was over 1,500 and I believed him the stack was like almost a foot high.
at Grumman about 15 years ago. He was in his 50s when he was downsized. He got a job as a custodian at the local public elementary school. Granted this was a hell of a lot less than his engineering salary, but he started at $30,000 a year with state benefits and a pension back in the early 90s. That is not much less than Florida TEACHERS start at right now. Certainly a lot better than $6.25 an hour. When I left the school district in 2004, the custodians starting salary was $40,000.

See why people stay up North? I guess they figure you get paid in sunshine in Florida.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post

Yep, know what you mean. I am looking for part time something in Tallahassee... (I am in IT industry) ... can't find ANYTHING for almost 2 months now, not a single job worth applying to. and yes i've looked on cb, dice, cl, monster, fljobs, local newspaper, etc. I found one job that was applicable but it paid 7.00 an hour (lower than the new min wage in January LOL) Even worse in Tallahassee besides paying so low, they look for student interns to come do it for free!!! Why hire somebody when you can get 2-3 interns to do the same job as one professional and not have to pay them!?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yep, know what you mean. I am looking for part time something in Tallahassee... (I am in IT industry) ... can't find ANYTHING for almost 2 months now, not a single job worth applying to. and yes i've looked on cb, dice, cl, monster, fljobs, local newspaper, etc. I found one job that was applicable but it paid 7.00 an hour (lower than the new min wage in January LOL) Even worse in Tallahassee besides paying so low, they look for student interns to come do it for free!!! Why hire somebody when you can get 2-3 interns to do the same job as one professional and not have to pay them!?
About 3-4 months ago I got an e-mail from the state alerting me to a new job opening in IIRC, in Hernando County. It was a job working with the local Sheriffs Office as a Corrections Officer. They wanted atleast a two year degree and we're paying less than $20k-year.

After looking at that and having a few chuckles, I decided I'd never move back. It'll never get better in Florida. Atleast, Not for the blue collar working class...

Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
I lived in Florida after a nasty divorce moving there from Kansas in 1985 to 1995 then moved to Indianapolis, In. I worked for Coca-Cola Foods in Plymouth,Fl and started at 6.13/hour and was a forklift operator. I left in 1993 after finding out they were closing plant in 1yr. I was employed from 3-1986 to 9-93 and my final wage was 8.96/hour.

This was considered an excellent place to work but day to day living was about all you could do. They did have excellent benifits but that does not help with living expenses.

After moving to Indianapolis,In a was making 40,000.00 plus in 1yr. and over 60,000.00 7yrs. later as a local straight truck driver. In Florida the most you could expect was 10.00/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida