Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 PM

31 posts, read 128,672 times

Advertisements

Where up north is insurance cheaper than Florida? I see tons of Florida plates on the Long Island Expressway (NY) driving to work at 7:30 am in the snow. The are definately not living in Florida so I'm assuming it's the cheap car insurance. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikikina View Post
Hello, I have been reading these boards for about a week now, obviously because I am thinking of moving to Florida. I was hoping that some of you could help me out with information. What I have gotten from these boards:

1.) Florida sucks

2.) Florida is expensive

3.) It is only a matter of time before you will be mugged or killed.

4.) Florida sucks.

5.) Florida is expensive.

Kidding aside, I was hoping someone could give me a link or let me know how I can find out the average's for bills. Meaning average electricity, gas, homeowners insurance, all that good stuff. I would like to compare average cost here compared to Florida and try to see how big of a difference it would be.

Also, if there is anyone out there reading this that has moved from Colorado to Florida, could you please let me know if you felt it was a good move? I really am concerned about crime/schools in Florida. If I could be convinced that I can find somewhere in Florida that is comparable to Colorado, I would feel better about the move.

Thanks for your help!
number 2 is true

Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 PM

55 posts, read 228,703 times
In Iowa - My parents, my sister and her husband and my brother's family as well as my inlaws are paying an average of $48 per month per vehicle (State Farm). We have State Farm here - 04 Ford Truck is $66.99 and our 2004 Mercury Sable is $76.08 per month. Home owner's on the average for them is $57/month. I pay $129/month.

On the other hand, because I've been in my home for 17 years, my property tax is a lot less than theirs.

Wonder why so many FL cars are in NY this time of year?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Thank you Curt....maybe you can explain that to Macguy.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,398 times
Wanna know how expensive? Ill give you the facts.

We pay $400 a month in the summer for a/c
We pay $3500 a year for insurance and its going up, parents may cancel it
Property taxes would be $12000 a year if we werent homestead.
You need $300k for a decent house in south FL, $200k in north FL.

Not cheap living in FL, most of us cant afford it, especially not me.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 PM

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

People think living here is so great......well they can have it. I"m so over Florida and can't wait to leave.

Hello Macguy........I'm not the only one with 400 AC bills !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:52 PM

17 posts, read 70,362 times
Hello everyone, I live in Sarasota county, Fl. my home is approx 2200 sq ft living ,have four children running in and out constantly(ha ha)
electric approx $200/month
water approx $35/month
car ins approx $120/month for two cars
homeowners ins $2000/year
property tax $3500/year
hope this helps.......

Old 03-02-2007, 07:01 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Wanna know how expensive? Ill give you the facts.

We pay $400 a month in the summer for a/c
We pay $3500 a year for insurance and its going up, parents may cancel it
Property taxes would be $12000 a year if we werent homestead.
You need $300k for a decent house in south FL, $200k in north FL.

Not cheap living in FL, most of us cant afford it, especially not me.
Yes, but what are your utility bills in the winter? What do they average out to be? And how many square feet?

I thought I read somewhere that you lived on Singer Island. That would be the highest zone to insure. If that is the case, $3500 isn't so bad. I'm not saying that insurance hasn't gone through the roof in the areas of highest exposure, but what you are paying is lower than what I would have thought. Then again, if they own the property free and clear, they wouldn't need the flood and windstorm coverage, I guess.

12k a year if homestead would lead me to believe that you have a higher-end home. I doubt that your situation would apply to many posting here. There are plenty of places that have no where near the appraised value that would result in 12k in property taxes.

I know that your priorities are keeping expenses to a minimum, though. But I think to use your situation to dissuade others from coming here is a bit deceptive.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,302 times
I agree with HEREIFFL. Look at my post on page 1 with my bills. Yeah i have a very small home but it is across from the lake with a beautiful lake view and it's only worth about $100,000 - $110,000 but i can't imagine a $200,000 home double my size being nearly as high as NAH estimates. Plus like you say NAH, everything is more expensive in the south. I'm west central. This is why readers to these posts shouldn't take one persons word to make a decision on where they live. Need a variety of opinions if this info is going to help anyone out.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 PM

142 posts, read 578,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kath2210 View Post

Wonder why so many FL cars are in NY this time of year?

Uh... 'cause their owners drove them there..??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida