Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
As for the economics debate. I am lost as to what that has to do with the price of rice in china. what exactly does that have to do with this discussion? Either your understand the subject matter or you don't. If you don't there is nothing wrong with that, but don't attempt to have a intelligent discussion on economics based on some google searches and watching one of the major media outlets
Understand it ? I'm living it man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Understand it ? I'm living it man...
wait, you lost me? I was referring to your comment about getting/not getting a economics degree and how the field is flooded. which i agree a lot of business majors and econ majors out there. lots of lawyers and teachers out there too. Sadly enough, a lot of these fields are going to become irrelevant in the future. Some will be able to find jobs but there will be a whole sale cleansing of these fields just like the I.T. field saw back in 2001/2002.

If you mean your living economics, well unless you are a economics adviser somewhere, a professor or a student I dont really understand how you are "living" economics.

Last edited by Wild Style; 12-31-2008 at 05:45 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hey, guess what?! You can read your location without going into "profile"! Amazing how that works, huh?
I'm flabbergasted by your idiocy.

Quote:
I'm sorry if you feel like you didn't get a good enough education in Florida. You actually do a fine job of demonstrating your own point, however, so I would definitely keep it up. You're almost starting to convince me that the education system here really IS atrocious.

But anyway, the point is that for all the ragging on how AWFUL Florida schools are, the ORIGINAL point was that the half-back havens cited by the resident malcontents and miserables on this board are NOT BETTER AS THEY CLAIM THEY ARE.
har har. My point is there is no sense in defending schools that are below average. We need to actually improve schools...starting with getting rid of the FCAT and actually teaching real subjects.

Quote:
Lol, the "Death map" proves your point? It does no such thing. You posted the "death map" to rebut the proposition that more people die in Winter storm related deaths than hurricanes in Florida. That's lazy. And Stupid. Maybe you should stop looking at pictures and learn to analyze accompanying text. Guess you didn't learn that at JC, however:

"Other extreme summer hazards, such as floods, and cold winter weather also outranked hurricanes, earthquakes, and wildfires, according to geographers Kevin Borden and Susan Cutter, of the University of South Carolina in Columbia. Overall, natural disasters account for less than 5% of natural hazard deaths across the US."

Death map USA: Natural disaster hotspots revealed - environment - 17 December 2008 - New Scientist

Oh, and look, a handy-dandy visual aide to help with that ADD thing:

Study your own map carefully. Even going by your OWN posted map, it does nothing to show that Florida has this awful incidence of weather related deaths that is significantly awful. A couple of gulf coast counties, while South Florida is BELOW the national rate.
South Florida isn't the entire state. Oh, and I like how you conveniently left out a few lines in your post:

Southerners are more like to die from the effects of the weather than people living in any other region of the US.

But for all the attention garnered by catastrophic hurricanes such as Katrina and Andrew, simple heatwaves kill far more people than all natural disasters combined, according to a newly published county-by-county map of natural hazard deaths (see the maps here). Gee, I wonder where most of the heat is in this country

Large cities like San Francisco and New York are among the safest places to live, but if city living isn't for you, the odds of dying from the weather are lowest in the Midwest.

My ULTIMATE point was that the weather in the north was more survivable than the overall weather in the south (which, last I checked, included Florida). The map proves that, the article you posted proves that. Hurricanes are just one component of that, and my initial mention of hurricanes comes about due to their destructive power and raising of costs of insurance on everyone.

Quote:
The above post is wrong in at least two ways:

1) The accompanying article with your pretty little map CLEARLY states that hurricane related deaths are not as common as basic "winter weather" death (which basically blows your "preparedness" and "severity magnitude" argument right out of the water), and

2) HEAT WAVES are the leading cause of weather related deaths, which are preventable and recurrent deaths. The most famous instance of HEAT related deaths occurred in Chicago (ya know, the "Mid west") when hunreds died in a heat wave in the 90s.

Not to mention that "winter weather" deaths are ONLY 1% less in incidence than the #1, heat waves.
Single Incidences < Cumulative Effects (regarding heat)...see my previous mention of heat for that. Also, The Midwest is the safest region of the country to live

Quote:
I want you to stop talking about the subject as well. Not because I don't understand it, but because you clearly didn't take the time to adequately review your own sources and arguments thoroughly before pretending you were an expert on the subject.FACT remains (the ORIGINAL POINT): LESS PEOPLE DIE IN HURRICANES EACH YEAR IN FLORIDA THAN IN WINTER STORMS. No map necessary to prove otherwise.
You shouldn't throw stones in glass houses. It is a bad idea.

Quote:
Sorry, but the Northeast has dealt with net internal migration declines for YEARS AND YEARS. South Dakota and states with populations the size of a large city will ALWAYS handle things better than large, complex states like FLorida, California, etc. Forget short term patterns. Look at the long term trend. Population is shifting South, and West. Not Northeast, and certainly not to places like Ohio, which again, is facing constant and rapid population decrease.
That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard and a HUGE oversimplification. Rhode Island, Nevada, South Carolina, and Alaska aren't huge states. Similarly, Virginia isn't a tiny state. People are beginning to leave FL because of better opportunities elsewhere. FL is a brain drain with high unemployment and an overly expensive cost of living.

Quote:
Florida has just come out of a growth boom, and is now in a correction. While short term unemployment is of course expected to grow as construction and real estate related industries close up shop, those of you hoping Florida will be the next Michigan will likely be sorely disappointed within the next few years.Count on it.*
I always love it when someone calls something like this a "correction"....they can try to ignore the vast swaths of empty houses as long as they want, but they still call it a correction. I can't wait to see how FL is suffering more in 2011.

Quote:
"Obsession" with Kansas? It's the prototypical "Mid Western" state! Of course, I could move to Illinois and at least have Chicago, but with an unemployment rate not much better than Florida's, and icy winters, I'll stay where I am, thank you.
Every midwestern state is different. I guess Florida is just like Alabama because they are both in the south! Yee-haw!

Quote:
Lol, please. Just stop. Your lack of knowledge concerning the insurance industry in Florida is glaringly obvious. Do you actually think the only insurance companies in Florida are the big ones that also do car insurance commercials?
lol, obviously not, but your pathetic attempt at lying to cover up the insurance situation in FL is downright sad.

Quote:
Call your (or your parents, or whoever "we" is that actually OWNS a house themselves to know what they are talking about personally) local independent insurance agency to ask for new quotes on home insurance. Rates have gone down, and new companies are in the market. Do a wind mitigation inspection for $50 and save significantly if you have shutters or certain other hurricane related improvements.

If you need the name of a good agent, let me know. I can only do so much to lead a horse to water, however.
You're an idiot if you think this wasn't done earlier. But, once again, I have to repeat myself and say that no one is writing policies for this area. Good try, though.

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that raining on your pity party with objective analysis and a splash of cold water for the TN and SC is sooo great crowd was "lashing out" at someone. It's people like YOU, and the rest of the "Florida is so awful I'm leaving" crowd that is REALLY wrong with Florida. While I will stay here to see and work towards change that is needed, YOU all leave.
lol, it is hard to stay in a state when people like YOU are doing everything they can to keep it the way it is...going down the toilet. I was very proud to have my FL DL destroyed in August. All I have to do is sit back and watch the entire state of FL learn a huge lesson about economic practicalities...I'll enjoy it.

Quote:
Leaving does not help anyone or anything in Florida, other than make it less crowded and a little more pleasant due to the loss of negative and **** poor attitudes. There is a difference between IGNORING a problem (no such thing happening here or with the few posters willing to speak up against the "Coalition of ranting 20 somethings") and coming to Florida's defense when a bunch of wannaleaves run around a) pretending states that are in the same boat or worse are better, or b) exaggerating or scaring people who WOULD have an interest in making the state better from staying or coming in the first place.

Learn that difference. THEN come back and see how ridiculously hypocritical and absurd YOU or any of your like minded compatriots are to the rest of us when claiming you're being "lashed out" against. Give me a break already.
You may know the differences in definition, but you certainly can't apply it to the real world. You are ignoring the problems of FL so hilariously to try to validate your own opinions, it is sad. FL is going down because of people like you, and all most of us who left can do now is sit back, watch, and laugh.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Virtual teachers?

Quote:
wait, you lost me? I was referring to your comment about getting/not getting a economics degree and how the field is flooded. which i agree a lot of business majors and econ majors out there. lots of lawyers and teachers out there too. Sadly enough, a lot of these fields are going to become irrelevant in the future. Some will be able to find jobs but there will be a whole sale cleansing of these fields just like the I.T. field saw back in 2001/2002.

If you mean your living economics, well unless you are a economics adviser somewhere, a professor or a student I dont really understand how you are "living" economics.
Sit a 10 year old all alone in the house in front of a computer with a virtual teacher from India? Or maybe all the mothers, even single mothers, will quit their jobs and stay home to homeschool? Not going to happen. I know there is a certain element in society who would like nothing better than to see the elimination of public education in this country; private school (preferably christian) for those who can afford it, or homeschool for those who can't.

As far as lawyers, "if you cannot afford an attorney one wil be appointed for you". Scrap Miranda? Guilty until proven innocent by the defendent? Of course, there will no longer be the need for any civil suits. Virtual lawyers also from India? How about virtual plumbers or doctors too?

You may not like it, but there are some jobs, which require a physical presence, that cannot be shipped to India, or be eliminated.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Sit a 10 year old all alone in the house in front of a computer with a virtual teacher from India? Or maybe all the mothers, even single mothers, will quit their jobs and stay home to homeschool? Not going to happen. I know there is a certain element in society who would like nothing better than to see the elimination of public education in this country; private school (preferably christian) for those who can afford it, or homeschool for those who can't.

As far as lawyers, "if you cannot afford an attorney one wil be appointed for you". Scrap Miranda? Guilty until proven innocent by the defendent? Of course, there will no longer be the need for any civil suits. Virtual lawyers also from India? How about virtual plumbers or doctors too?

You may not like it, but there are some jobs, which require a physical presence, that cannot be shipped to India, or be eliminated.
California laid off tons of teacher link

Chicago firm lays off attorneys link

In broward for example we have already seen declines in student population and with tax revenue down what do you think is going to happen? The school board will try to do minor cuts and as things get worse, minor will turn into major cuts. With businesses closing up and laying off way up, what do you think will happen to corporate lawyers and the like?

district attorney layoffs link

I have a aunt that works for a district attornys office some where in florida (i wont name the city). Anyway, she says drug crimes are WAY down which was the bulk of their cases. She said before all this happend they stayed busy all day long. Now they have to ask others for work because there isnt enough to go around. When analysing how all this is going to play out you have to understand the domino effects and how they will affect different fields. We will see teacher layoffs, lawyer layoffs and on and on as things get worse. This year is going to be a eye opener for a LOT of people.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default This is a problem for FLORIDA

Quote:
California laid off tons of teacher link

Chicago firm lays off attorneys link

In broward for example we have already seen declines in student population and with tax revenue down what do you think is going to happen? The school board will try to do minor cuts and as things get worse, minor will turn into major cuts. With businesses closing up and laying off way up, what do you think will happen to corporate lawyers and the like?

district attorney layoffs link

I have a aunt that works for a district attornys office some where in florida (i wont name the city). Anyway, she says drug crimes are WAY down which was the bulk of their cases. She said before all this happend they stayed busy all day long. Now they have to ask others for work because there isnt enough to go around. When analysing how all this is going to play out you have to understand the domino effects and how they will affect different fields. We will see teacher layoffs, lawyer layoffs and on and on as things get worse. This year is going to be a eye opener for a LOT of people.
because so many FAMILIES are moving out of here. I personally saw this up close myself from working in the district. I guess when population declines, the young leave, and you are left with just OLD PEOPLE, crime goes down, and less need for lawyers? How many 80 year olds are out there robbing banks and dealing drugs? Huh?

Florida is certainly unique.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
How many 80 year olds are out there robbing banks and dealing drugs? Huh?
This is completely off-topic, but that gives me a great opportunity to get in a plug for one of my favorite films: Going in Style (1979).

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
because so many FAMILIES are moving out of here. I personally saw this up close myself from working in the district. I guess when population declines, the young leave, and you are left with just OLD PEOPLE, crime goes down, and less need for lawyers? How many 80 year olds are out there robbing banks and dealing drugs? Huh?

Florida is certainly unique.
Well I am not going to speculate on trends, because I don't know who is leaving or staying. I saw a article last year in the New York Times and they said Florida is actually losing retiree population. Said they are going back to live with their families who remained in the north. As for lawyers, not all lawyers are personal attorney. Some of them do corporate law but do the math. Businesses + bankruptcy = less corporate lawyers too. This thing we are going through has so many implosions and side implosions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida