U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 12,252 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to relocate to North Florida by this fall, she is an RN and I am going back to school to finish my bachelor's however I would like to work P/T while going to school. Currently I am looking at the Gilchrist County area due to the good reviews I have read about their public school system "We have a 7 yr old as well" in addition to other positives such as it's rural setting and decent real estate prices.

We understand this a very rural area which is fine by us we have lived most our life in the mountains of NE Pennsylvania and are used to having to commute to work, grocery store etc. So commuting into Gainesville would not be a problem.

I would like to know if anyone could fill me in on whether the public school system in Gilchrist is as good as the numbers indicate, and what we should expect in regards to property taxes and homeowners insurance and a general feeling of the area. I understand Florida just enacted some property and insurance relief at the beginning of this year. As well with the current economic situation would it be a decent area to nail jobs (i.e. "Gainesville Metro Area").

If not would we be better heading towards Alachua County "Gainesville" or even Marion County "Ocala".

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 10:25 AM

268 posts, read 842,504 times
I live here... (off and on 42 years), what exactly you wanna know?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 PM

How are the public schools, how is the current job market in the Gainesville Metro Area and what should we expect property tax and homeowner insurance wise?

Thanks,

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM

24 posts, read 78,482 times
Hey there,

I can't say too much about Gilchrist Co. as I live in Alachua Co. and the only time I ever really head that way is to bring my kids to the Springs. Yes sir, it is rural! I have heard Fort White has a great school there. Not sure if they just mean the high school though.

Have you checked into High Springs, Alachua (the town of) or Newberry? All great places to live and raise kids.

Your wife can work at one of the hospitals in Gainesville. There's Shands and North Florida Regional.

My pick would be High Springs or Alachua (neighboring cities) over Gilchrist. I live in the city of Alachua near the feed store, LOL. We're still rural, but we have so much more to offer in the way of shops, restaurants, churches, parks, doctors, etc. Home prices have dropped if you decide to buy. We have a great recreation center where your child can join whatever sport he/she is into.

Jobs....we have a Lowes opening soon, Dollar General warehouse, Walmart distribution center, Assorted shops and supermarkets, etc. Not sure what type of job you are looking for? We are a 30 minute drive from UF and 15 from SFCC.

I have a moderate/ cheap home in a residential neighborhood in the city limits. It's a 3/2 ranch style (70's) on a double lot. My property taxes are around 900 a year. My sister has a similar home in NY and her taxes are over $6,000 a year so these are not so bad, LOL. I'm pretty sure we don't pay much more than 3 hundred or so a year for homeowners ins.

Take care!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 AM

Thank You for your response, I also researched those hospitals you mentioned and do believe their are a few more down in Ocala. I appreciate the detailed overview you provide of the local economy, tax rates, schools and homeowner insurance rates. However since I posted this thread we have decided to relocate to the Tampa area due to the wider variety of employment opportunities that are their. Matter of fact I have already nailed a job in Clearwater, I guess so much for all the negative posts I read on here about jobs in Florida, or maybe I am just lucky who knows. Nevertheless we will not be buying a home for about six months after we arrive, possibly this information may come in handy when it comes time for us to purchase a home, if we are not happy with the Tampa area by then. I can relate with the property taxes here in the north, my step-mother was paying 6k a year for a 1/2 acre bi-level in North Jersey until she moved to Pennsylvania three years ago. Thanks Again

Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 PM

7 posts, read 14,190 times
Tampa's crime rate is getting very bad. I am not reading statistics, its what I see personally and what my kids see personally. Gilchrist is very quiet. I have land there. If you have work in Gainesville, you will be fine. Taxes are the lowest in the state I am told. Check out greatschools.net for reviews on the schools.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:34 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,749,262 times
Gilchrist is in my favorite part of the state. Next door to Gilchirst is Layfayette County. My high school has about two times the population of the entire county.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,864 times
If you are still looking, Gilchrist County is very nice, rural, and clean. Lower taxes than Alachua. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-19-2011 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Advertising Not Allowed

Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 PM

5,534 posts, read 3,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Gilchrist is in my favorite part of the state. Next door to Gilchirst is Layfayette County. My high school has about two times the population of the entire county.
Lafayette county has over 7,000 people. Pretty sure your high school does not have 14,000 students.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,169 times
Can Anyone give me some feedback on FT. White would be great ... looking intoi buying a 10 acre horse ranch there to raise Paint Quarter horses. coming from Payson az. just my wife and I and dogs. we are in late 40's retired comerical lobsterman form Mass, Hiow is the crime , drugs , police , just the people in General ? looking for smaller town that we can breed our APQH in . Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida