Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 PM

42 posts, read 146,854 times

Advertisements

A place where............

Folks can golf cart to stores, parties, peoples houses, the beach or the lakes etc.

There's a sense of community, "everyone's familiar with everyone". A lot of socializing, and front porch chatting.

Block parties, neighborhood BBQ's, get together's on sunday for football or Nascar.

Good nearby "on the water" pubs, diners, restaurants, country or rock bars, maybe some live bands.

Area has good schools, and is safe

Hopefully good halloween and christmas decorated homes and festivals

Either a "beachy", "coastal", "keys" atmosphere", or a "lake" type community.

And no offense..... at least 80% Anglo.

If the area has southern, ranch, new england, "keys" type homes, thats great!

Prices can range from 150,000 to 500,000 out of curiosity.

To give an idea. I can currently get in a golf cart ,drive to the local golf course, play golf, then drive to a pub on the water, have drinks, then go to a local diner and have dinner. Can launch my boat from the marina in under a 5 minute drive. Go to numerous block parties throughout the year, and find a BBQ at someones house any given night. Had 200 people for trick or treating on halloween night, and lots of houses decorated for Christmas.

BUT.... We have to move and i'm looking for some help.

So.... does any city like this exist? Be specific as to the area within the city.

Thanks. Please no sarcasm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 04:49 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,519,423 times
Yes, its called Key West, FL

Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,859,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9989 View Post
My guess would be somewhere in Germany, Russia, or Sweeden ?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,914,258 times
funny what sounds like heaven to you sounds like hell to me-

Sorry- I know you said no sarcasm- but couldn't resist.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,857,466 times
Little Gasparilla Island. This is the home I grew up in. The island has everything except maybe the the bars. It's a barrier island only accessible by boat. It's is only seven miles long so everyone knows everyone out there. Here's another site with pictures-http://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/usa/florida/southwest/palm-island-resort.html

It's actually one island with several different names for each part: Little Gasparilla, Don Pedro, Knight Island and Palm Island. Don Pedro has a state park located on it. It's pretty laid back living. Kinda reminds me of Key West but not as touristy.

You could pick up a home out there for under 500K.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:32 PM

17,486 posts, read 38,941,335 times
Maybe Rosemary Beach?

History of Rosemary Beach - A Florida Beach Community

Old 12-26-2008, 07:02 PM

268 posts, read 897,963 times
Joan Pessoa, NE Brazil, or Buzios (but expensive)... and 4 hours north of Rio de Janeiro. Must speak/understand Portuguese.

Florida? can't think of a place.... Key West comes close but way to many tourists and large gay population.

Maybe Bahamas, but minimum $1M for a basic used 2/3 home.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,830,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9989 View Post
A place where............

Folks can golf cart to stores, parties, peoples houses, the beach or the lakes etc.

Ponte Verda Beach, Celebration, Safety Harbor,

There's a sense of community, "everyone's familiar with everyone". A lot of socializing, and front porch chatting.

Safety Harbor

Block parties, neighborhood BBQ's, get together's on sunday for football or Nascar.
You can find that in any city.

Good nearby "on the water" pubs, diners, restaurants, country or rock bars, maybe some live bands.

You can find that throughout coastal Florida from about Hollywood north all the way to the Georgia line on the east side, and up the entire coast from the west side.

Area has good schools, and is safe

Safety Harbor

Hopefully good halloween and christmas decorated homes and festivals

I have seen this in all places.

Either a "beachy", "coastal", "keys" atmosphere", or a "lake" type community.

Safety Harbor

Safety Harbor

If the area has southern, ranch, new england, "keys" type homes, thats great!

Safety Harbor

Prices can range from 150,000 to 500,000 out of curiosity.

Safety Harbor

To give an idea. I can currently get in a golf cart ,drive to the local golf course, play golf, then drive to a pub on the water, have drinks, then go to a local diner and have dinner. Can launch my boat from the marina in under a 5 minute drive. Go to numerous block parties throughout the year, and find a BBQ at someones house any given night. Had 200 people for trick or treating on halloween night, and lots of houses decorated for Christmas.

BUT.... We have to move and i'm looking for some help.

So.... does any city like this exist? Be specific as to the area within the city.

Thanks. Please no sarcasm!
Safety Harbor

Old 12-26-2008, 08:53 PM

42 posts, read 146,854 times
Well, i think the golf cart desires threw the post off. Thanks for the tips so far. I have been searching along these lines for a little while now and through out a new post every now and then. As far as coastal communities i've received: Venice, Sarasota, Vero beach, Punta Gorda, Cape Coral, Jupiter, Safety harbor, South Tampa and Point Verde beach. That Rosemary Beach was neat but $$$$$. As far as non coastal communities, Ive received Wellington, Mount Dora, Lake Worth and maybe Loxahatchee.

The hard part is I love those neo tradiotnal communities like Abacoa, Baldwin park, Celebration, but the cookie cutter closeness, and rich northern transplants kinda through me off. I mean, are those places as neat or great as they seem or is it fake?? I can seem to pin point it yet.

Every time you guys post something, I google it and look at all the real estate on the market. Then maybe restaurants, schools etc..

Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,825,626 times
The Villages in Hawthorn FL (n. of Ocala) sounds like your description but the water will be ponds not boatable.

What is the place you're moving FROM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida