Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times

Advertisements

I do EXCELLENT work no matter where I go. When you consistently bust your a$$ and don't get recognized for it, after time you ask yourself why? I've said it before, FL has a VERY transient population, companies hire new people all the time, and guess what, the new hires usually end up making more money than the workers who have been there for years and know what's going on. FL employers know this and take advantage (it's not just FL though). I've seen it over, and over, and, over until your eyes bleed. FL companies (the ones I've worked for) DO NOT VALUE GREAT EMPLOYEES. If you're not related to somebody high up on the chain your as good as meat. For real!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
So what do you do and where do you do it? As you can see, inquiring minds want to know so that we can request you!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
So what do you do and where do you do it? As you can see, inquiring minds want to know so that we can request you!
If I told you I'd have to kill you LOL! But I'm in TX now, be moving back to FL next year though.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
B/C employers in Florida don't value employees like other states, and there are way too many poorly run startup businesses compared to mid to high level corporations. There are also so many businesses that are seasonal... HR in florida also seems to be an after thought. and well, everybody here knows the above. So why work harder? Unless you know somebody or pull many favors here you aren't going anywhere in Florida. Professionally for companies after school I've worked 6 years in my life total (28 now...) 3 of these were in Florida, 3 of these in Chicago. While in Florida I busted my butt, no promotions, and only one raise of a measly 1.00 an hour(by default) in 3 years...then I left. In Chicago I got several significant raises and got promoted 2 times for 2 different companies in 3 years with same work ethic, that is the difference. The office atmospheres in Florida that I've been at (yes did internships and office assitant type jobs before professionally) also seem a bit too laid back in a bad sense.

Quote:
So what does that mean, Noodles? That for crap pay you will do crap work? What about your self-esteem, your self-respect, your reputation in the eyes of your customer? Scrig your employer- if you are the one that customers ask for based upon the quality of your work, wouldn't that count for something in the short-range and more $ or a better place to work in the long-range?
Not unless you leave Florida, also on many apps they ask for starting pay and your pay when you left... so, no, wouldn't do much.

Now I'm sure despite all that, some people make it and are successful in Florida... it is like a backwards version of falling through the cracks. But all and all the job opportunities and room for career advancement when compared to many other parts of the country is rather dismal in FL.

Last edited by grapico; 12-28-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,244 times
Poor business ethics is exactly the reason we decided to start our own property management company. Our area has a majority of properties owned by investors and used as vacation rental homes. When these investors look for a management co. they seem to gravitate to the largest company in the area. It doesn't take long for them to realize that the big company is focused on fleecing owners for as much as possible before the contract is terminated. Consequently, the property management industry suffers from mistrust issues.
We've been involved in customer service for years. We hate poor service and can't understand why people tolerate it. No service should equal no business.
Ironically, there is a referral company called A____'s List. They claim to research those who they will place in their data base before offering their services to the public. I've heard horror stories about some of their referred companies and the disappointing services they provided (or didn't provide). So who do we trust? Word of mouth references can mean a lot. Likewise, I won't hesitate to spread the word about someone who has done me wrong. I'd expect to be treated the same way.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 PM

268 posts, read 899,914 times
Interesting coments...

Well, I feel a little better thinking I'm not the only dude thinking it's in my own head when people don't show up as promised, don't bother answering the phone, do half-ass job, smoke and throw the cig butt in your yard an even pi*s on a back yard tree, etc.

What happened to America? Why are we so lazy now-a-days? What's a solution to this? How do you handle it when you call a service and they don't show, not even a call back?

How do you refrain yourself from being upset?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Interesting coments...

Well, I feel a little better thinking I'm not the only dude thinking it's in my own head when people don't show up as promised, don't bother answering the phone, do half-ass job, smoke and throw the cig butt in your yard an even pi*s on a back yard tree, etc.

What happened to America? Why are we so lazy now-a-days? What's a solution to this? How do you handle it when you call a service and they don't show, not even a call back?

How do you refrain yourself from being upset?
post in the voice off or whatever you call yours in your local paper, report to BBB, if they provided u a disservice, take them to small claims court.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:46 PM

214 posts, read 560,065 times
Quote:
What do you do and where do you do it?

I also have noticed the crappy work ethic of some "handy man" types in Florida. I think its the heat. I wouldnt want to work outside in that scorching heat, thats for sure. And even if the job is in the house, its still brutal driving around all day in the heat and traffic and then going inside and doing physical labor. To make matters worth, imagine the guy has to deal with a bossy stay at home mom whose job is making sure her husbands checks are being deposited so she has money to spend.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:47 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Especially north-central Florida area?

I can't get people to show up, let alone answer the phone!

- Home Gutter companies
- Motorcycle trailer companies
- asphalt sealing

The list goes on and on.....

Is it just me or does Florida have a serious lack of urgency when it comes to working?

Thanks!

This happens all over! Its almost like ppl dont want your money. The only thing I can think of is thay they just blow you off for a bigger job? I just wish ppl had common courtesey!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:51 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,090 times
My turn.

I have a VERY long driveway and wanted it paved. I called around (this was during the building boom) and if it wasn't the size of the mall parking lot they were not interested. Finally one of the big names in town agreed to give me an estimate. He didn't seem interested in bidding but quoted $22,000. I was talking to my neighbor who told me he used to work as a paver and gave me the number of his old boss. It was an independent guy who did a great job for less than half that the big name quoted.

I wanted to add a gate opener to my fence. NO ONE would come out to give me an estimate. A few faxed quotes but I wanted someone to see the job to avoid surprises. TWICE I literally sat down with the phone book and called every gate company listed. No one wanted such a little job. One guy gave me the number of someone who did small jobs like this on the side. He never called back.

Finally I took pictures and got dimensions and went to a company that had a huge showroom. We sat down with the salesman. Yes, they could do what we wanted. We agreed on a price and said go do it. He told us it would be about two weeks before they could get started. No problem. FOUR weeks later he calls and apologizes, asks if we are still interested. Yes, c'mon out. Someone shows up, pours some concrete and puts some posts in. He leaves and says he will be back. Nothing. Called the office. No call back. Weeks go by. We gave them no money. I found an independent guy interested. He came out. He couldn't figure out the design that had started to be installed. The concrete had to be ripped out and it cost me $$ to take it to the landfill. The independent guy finished and did a fantastic job.

I've had better luck with one man shops when the owner has pride in his work. I've also had fantastic experiences with Home Depot. I've used them twice now. I've bought windows and hurricane shutters. Both times was a great experience. English speaking workers showed up and did a great job. Explained everything, cleaned up. We had problems with a window screen that was immediately resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida