U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM

85 posts, read 253,141 times

Advertisements

I moved to Southeast Florida from up north thinking that I would fit in because I considerd myself urban, cultured, and sophsiticated and supposedly this is the part of Florida for that.

Don't get me wrong the East Coast of Florida is great but I can't take the lifestyle. I was in Aventura in Miami-Dade County and this is what made me realize I'm not cut out for the east coast. People were blaring their horns madly, cars were serving, people giving each other the finger shouting at each other. It took us an 1hr 45 minutes to get seated for dinner at a local restaurant when they told us 30 at the most. This was an average sized restaurant but people get pouring in to the point you couldn't move without stepping on someone. I think I almost had a heart attack from all the stress.

My point is my parents live in Southwest Florida and I know from personal experience it is more laid back compared to Southeast Florida, less populated, and possibly has nicer people.

I want to know the best cities in Southwest Florida (Tampa and down).

I do not want this to turn into a bashing the East Coast thread so please only reply with suggestions for places on the west coast of Florida for me to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 PM

268 posts, read 842,630 times
I hear ya big feller!

Aventura is now a very snooty place. Blame it on Trump's new high rises or perhaps the mega billionaire jewish land owner, and his family owns almost all of Sunny Isles. Also, the snobby Latinos, mostly the rich ones from Colombia and Venezuela... (rich kids of old oil families and old drug money from Colombia), a lot of laundered drug money there too. 1 in 2 cars is a new Bimmer or Benz, and keeping up the Joneses is the lifestyle.

Aventura is high priced, and a used studio goes for nothing less than 1/2 million.

So you can't find a home grown Americano? Or even a Floridian! And yea, if you're not a mega rich Latino, you're living off credit trying to be like them (Latin culture thrives on image and looks).

Welcome to Aventura!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,183,881 times
SW Florida is.. in a word... awesome..

Ft. Myers was probably the best place I ever lived. I loved it there it was laid back and peaceful and once you got back into the Lehigh Acres area and even further inland near LaBelle and places like that, It was beautiful and " natrual " Florida.

Plus the beaches there are nice and WAY less crowded.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,596,537 times
Pick some places to look at and take a drive thru the SW region. Stop overnight at any place that appeals to you. Doing this during the winter season will tell you how bad the traffic gets at its worst and you'll have the best weather.
Of course you could do some homework in advance (city-data has the numbers here somewhere) about crime, school ratings if that's important to you. Taxes will depend on how much your house costs and you can research that online too.

What we did: looked for houses online and then did a driveby (no agent) to see how we "felt" about the area the house was in. No sense in wasting an agents time if the area the house was in didn't appeal to us.

Moving also forces you to think about what is important: such as distance to beach/parks, what quality of houses are available in our price range, do people smile at us in the supermarket, HOA or non-HOA, how's the driving etiquette/safety.

Most of us end up in our first house because that's where our job is located and family is. When you make a decision to move it really makes you think about what makes you happy, and it's not an easy question to answer.

Good luck. It was hard work but we found our new home south of Sarasota after driving both the east and west coasts of Florida. Our important features are prob way different than yours but your dream location is here somewhere.

P.S. I grew up in West Palm Beach and agree with your asessment of the east coast from WPB and south. However there are still some nice friendly places north of there on the east coast.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM

268 posts, read 842,630 times
Coral Gables is nice, but you must speak some spanish. Miami Beach for sure if you can afford it, and being a single person helps!

I think Deerfield Beach is maybe the best community in South Florida.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,611,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian

I think Deerfield Beach is maybe the best community in South Florida.

....errr.... I would have to disagree, lol

Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM

32 posts, read 96,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
I moved to Southeast Florida from up north thinking that I would fit in because I considerd myself urban, cultured, and sophsiticated and supposedly this is the part of Florida for that.

Don't get me wrong the East Coast of Florida is great but I can't take the lifestyle. I was in Aventura in Miami-Dade County and this is what made me realize I'm not cut out for the east coast. People were blaring their horns madly, cars were serving, people giving each other the finger shouting at each other. It took us an 1hr 45 minutes to get seated for dinner at a local restaurant when they told us 30 at the most. This was an average sized restaurant but people get pouring in to the point you couldn't move without stepping on someone. I think I almost had a heart attack from all the stress.

My point is my parents live in Southwest Florida and I know from personal experience it is more laid back compared to Southeast Florida, less populated, and possibly has nicer people.

I want to know the best cities in Southwest Florida (Tampa and down).

I do not want this to turn into a bashing the East Coast thread so please only reply with suggestions for places on the west coast of Florida for me to live.

Ah boy, I grew up in South Florida, I left when I was twenty.Having now lived in seven different states, I will say that South Florida is the least educated and cultured of anywhere I have lived.Also the most rude by far.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd!83 View Post
Ah boy, I grew up in South Florida, I left when I was twenty.Having now lived in seven different states, I will say that South Florida is the least educated and cultured of anywhere I have lived.Also the most rude by far.
I agree.

But why bring up a thread that's like 5 years old to make your point?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 PM

32 posts, read 96,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I agree.

But why bring up a thread that's like 5 years old to make your point?

Sorry, I'm brand new to city data.
This came up in the new thread section I swear.

hmmm

Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd!83 View Post
Sorry, I'm brand new to city data.
This came up in the new thread section I swear.

hmmm
No problem, welcome to City-Data!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida