Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
need_affordable_home.....
you wouldn't last one summer in the midwest if you think 78 degrees is hot....

Do peeps in Florida own Air conditioners? Sounds like there are a lot of people sweating while its still in the 70's!

Yea well I'm ready for some heat! I haven't been outise without a coat since September. However the temps are one things, we have rain to deal with. sure it MIGHT be 60 in April (high hopes!) however the rain still keeps you inside.

Its been absolutely miserable here for the past 6 months. Hows it been down there in the past 6 months?
You wont last one humid 95 degree summer in FL where the heat index makes it feel as high as 110! Ive been to the desert where it was as high as 110 and it didnt feel any worse than the humid mid 90s south FL summers. I sure hope everyone in FL owns a/c, you could die without a/c. I felt like I was gonna die when the hurricane knocked out power. I was sweating like crazy and couldnt sleep, the bed would be soaked and that was at night too! Even the pool water felt almost hot!

You must not tolerate cold well or it must be unusually cold where you live? Hey we get rain alot here, use an umbrella or wait for it to stop! Its been miserable on and off. Now its allright but its gonna be miserable again next week. I really hope my home business takes off so I can afford to move up north by summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I'm with you, ekrz. I was just thinking this morning ( I know - novel concept for me!) how nice it's going to be next winter when I can get dressed and put on sunscreen instead of a fleece lined vest, a Columbia double-jacket (a must in NNY), heavy socks, boots, earmuffs, gloves and whatever else keeps me from visiting the ER with frostbite. Oh, BTW, tonight...it's supposed to drop to -18 without the winchill. Florida, here I come!

Good lord! -18??????? maybe youll want NC or TN when +18 degrees is considered a "cold snap" then you wont have have to bundle up like you do. I would never want to live somewhere that cold but anywhere that has mild winters is no big deal, a simple jacket and long pants is all ill be needing, no gloves, no double jacket, no heavy socks, maybe boots if lots of snow. I hope you enjoy the 10 month summers down south. I dont, its gotten old, boring and tiring and I want a change of seasons and get away from the heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You wont last one humid 95 degree summer in FL where the heat index makes it feel as high as 110! Ive been to the desert where it was as high as 110 and it didnt feel any worse than the humid mid 90s south FL summers. I sure hope everyone in FL owns a/c, you could die without a/c. I felt like I was gonna die when the hurricane knocked out power. I was sweating like crazy and couldnt sleep, the bed would be soaked and that was at night too! Even the pool water felt almost hot!

You must not tolerate cold well or it must be unusually cold where you live? Hey we get rain alot here, use an umbrella or wait for it to stop! Its been miserable on and off. Now its allright but its gonna be miserable again next week. I really hope my home business takes off so I can afford to move up north by summer

I hope your home business takes off too. You need the change.

Good lord! -18??????? maybe youll want NC or TN when +18 degrees is considered a "cold snap" then you wont have have to bundle up like you do. I would never want to live somewhere that cold but anywhere that has mild winters is no big deal, a simple jacket and long pants is all ill be needing, no gloves, no double jacket, no heavy socks, maybe boots if lots of snow. I hope you enjoy the 10 month summers down south. I dont, its gotten old, boring and tiring and I want a change of seasons and get away from the heat
I actually moved down here because I wanted long summers and a taste of spring. It's exactly what I got. It's perfect for me. Of course i'm not in south florida so I think I get more spring time than s. fl.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 AM

177 posts, read 684,363 times
Quote:

My wife and I have discussed many times wondering how we slept and got by before we had air conditioning. We got married in the late 60s and got our first air conditioners in the mid 70s. I was working two jobs and slept during the day a lot. I remember the sweating and the damp bed. The difference was that we didn't know any better. It was hot and we just dealt with it. Didn't have a pool until we got an above ground when the kids came along in the 70s.
We lived on Long Island and in my job as an inspector, during the summer I had to use a sling cyclometer (not sure of the spelling) to check humidity numerous times during the day as our bridge painters were not allowed to work above 85% humidity. There were many many days that they were not allowed to paint.
I will never again live in a place without central air. To keep your home at a comfortable temperature, you are going to have to pay for heat or air conditioning. If for no other reason than keeping the mold, mildew and dampness out of the house. I don't use fuel oil anymore but with gas at $2.55 a gal for 87 here in Lancaster, I don't really want to know what people are paying for oil or natural gas.
I still believe that very cold temperatures and wind will have serious effects on people faster very high heat and humidity. In the heat, you slow down, find some shade or a fan, wear less clothes and drink plenty of cold drinks. In the cold, you can only put on so many clothes and with wind chills of below zero, frostbite and other consequences can occur very quickly. Even a well insulated home can have trouble maintaining it's warmth with these low temps and winds.
At my age, I would rather deal with the high heat and humidity than with the bonechilling cold and its consequences and costs.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,062 times
I agree with Shores.

I think that as a whole, our society has gotten too "comfy". I grew up on a farm in southern New Jersey and the summers would get fairly hot (lots of high 80's, some low 90's). We didn't have A/C. We had several trees for shade and plenty of fans throughout our house. When I tell people this, they are completely stunned. How did you survive? Wow?! It's kinda funny.

That being said, keep in mind that people in the northern states DO pay quite a bit for heat in the winter. I do know that a couple hundred dollars a month is pretty common, and that's only here in the NJ/Philadelphia area. I can only imagine how much it is in really cold states more north.

So, in summary, stop complaining and deal with it. Whether it's A/C or heat, you're gonna pay. And if your A/C bill is that expensive, try setting it to 75 degrees.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:17 PM

16 posts, read 54,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
However know this. You will need to heat your home, you will need to buy several sets of seasonal clothing – a set for work (assuming you have a job) a set for working inside and out like when it snows and you have to shovel – a set for leisure and of course you can’t wear the same set every day so you need multiples of each.

You will need to prepare for each season and its weather. Snow shovels - rock salt - deicer - tape and plastic covering for your windows to keep the heat in - extra insulation - furnace maintenance and the list goes on.

I venture to say that just the additional clothing you will need to live in a colder climate will more than make up for your discomfort or additional a/c charges.
this is the sillest thing i have ever seen -WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT AC IN FLA? You can if you are taking painkillers and sleep all day

no if you live out west in texas/ az/ seattle /etc you dont need all that

you think the USA is only the midwest and new england - snow country? how about the west? how about the deep south ? how about the pacific northwest?

maybe you need to get out more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Well, here are my snow pics...These are from a couple years ago but they might as well be this year...

Yeah...I will take Florida when I get the money to move...

The big mound in the first pic is a gas grill.
have you ever lived out west?

the snow NEVER gets like that its sunny, no hurricanes less bugs, cheaper cost of living

no wonder wyoming is one of the states with the highest home price appreciation in the usa. same for arizona, co, wa, oregon, etc

Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
ERKZ, I love you story. We had the same thing happen to us when we went to Fla. one Christmas. We boarded the plane in Sx. Falls and sat there a while cause they couldn't get the second engine of the plane started. The stewardess told us the plane would go dark and they'd have to start over again and mentioned that the plane doesn't like cold weather. How comforting. Finally, they unloaded us and we got back on about a half hour later and took off. It was a bumpy ride so needless to say I was a bit tense already. Then we got to Minneapolis and got on our plane there. We waited and waited and finally they told us that the chute was frozen to the plane, but they now had it under control. We went out in Minneapolis and it was SO cold there~about 20 degrees worse then it was in So. Dak. We were so glad to get to the warmth of Florida and off the planes.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalisterKaley View Post
have you ever lived out west?

the snow NEVER gets like that its sunny, no hurricanes less bugs, cheaper cost of living

no wonder wyoming is one of the states with the highest home price appreciation in the usa. same for arizona, co, wa, oregon, etc
I think Wyoming is beautiful -- in July! During winter, it gets extremely cold in some areas, a lot of snow, and the wind is horrible. The Wyoming Homeland Security has issued a book on winter weather preparedness...you should read that if you think it's a walk in the park out there in winter.

http://wyohomelandsecurity.state.wy....ter_manual.pdf

Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM

58 posts, read 182,258 times
Jammie... Sorry to hear!
Sx Falls, Minneapolis, and So Dakota all in one winter day? That is a nightmare!

That's funny... "the plane doesn't like cold weather".
Either does cars, pets, geese, and trains!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Hey we get rain alot here, use an umbrella or wait for it to stop!
NAH, you bring up a good point that I haven't seen mentioned here. The rain- we have a rainy season, but the rain can last for ten minutes. Literally ten minutes! I have seen it rain across the street from me and not rain on me!

Or if it does, it stops within minutes. The downside is that, with the humidity, the quick rainstorms only make it more humid.

But after spending time in Las Vegas, I came to appreciate the double-edged sword of humidity.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
I actually moved down here because I wanted long summers and a taste of spring. It's exactly what I got. It's perfect for me. Of course i'm not in south florida so I think I get more spring time than s. fl.

That is your choice. I want a balanced 4 seasons as do 80% of others. This is why I would rather be somewhere like NC or TN than FL or TX. North FL has less of those miserable summers and what the northerns call "spring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
I still believe that very cold temperatures and wind will have serious effects on people faster very high heat and humidity. In the heat, you slow down, find some shade or a fan, wear less clothes and drink plenty of cold drinks. In the cold, you can only put on so many clothes and with wind chills of below zero, frostbite and other consequences can occur very quickly. Even a well insulated home can have trouble maintaining it's warmth with these low temps and winds.
At my age, I would rather deal with the high heat and humidity than with the bonechilling cold and its consequences and costs.

If a/c wasnt invented, I wouldnt live in FL for free, I probably would die from the heat. Extreme cold can be dangerous but where ill be relocating to will have mild winters and very rarely will temperatures drop below 10. Those who complain of the harsh, cold winters live far north like Maine or Minnesota. Winters a little further south are not half as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I think Wyoming is beautiful -- in July! During winter, it gets extremely cold in some areas, a lot of snow, and the wind is horrible. The Wyoming Homeland Security has issued a book on winter weather preparedness...you should read that if you think it's a walk in the park out there in winter.

Ive been to WY twice in the summer and let me tell you it gets pretty cold even midsummer. We saw snow once while in the tour bus. I really wished the bus would stop so we could play in the snow. The locals I talk to say it snows occasionally in the summer and you dont even want to be there in the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
NAH, you bring up a good point that I haven't seen mentioned here. The rain- we have a rainy season, but the rain can last for ten minutes. Literally ten minutes! I have seen it rain across the street from me and not rain on me!

Or if it does, it stops within minutes. The downside is that, with the humidity, the quick rainstorms only make it more humid.

But after spending time in Las Vegas, I came to appreciate the double-edged sword of humidity.
Can rain for 10 minutes or 10 hours, its up to mother nature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida