Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 05:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
It's more energy efficient to heat than to cool. It's all about thermodynamics.
That's a scientific fact, and normal human activities only generate heat, not cool air. The only way to cool is by compression/evaporation or absorption/evaporation. Both processes are more difficult in a humid area like Florida than anywhere else. A friend who lives near Vegas in the desert has less trouble cooling than I do, even in 100+ degree heat. On the other hand another buddy near Buffalo NY heats his home with pallets and logs, and spends 0.00 a year. To do that with air conditioning is a very expensive and technical process. Solar air conditioning is a great idea but requires a competant operator to work well. And you need a heat source for nightime use. If I stay in Florida I intend to build such a system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 PM

467 posts, read 1,685,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That's a scientific fact, and normal human activities only generate heat, not cool air. The only way to cool is by compression/evaporation or absorption/evaporation. Both processes are more difficult in a humid area like Florida than anywhere else. A friend who lives near Vegas in the desert has less trouble cooling than I do, even in 100+ degree heat. On the other hand another buddy near Buffalo NY heats his home with pallets and logs, and spends 0.00 a year. To do that with air conditioning is a very expensive and technical process. Solar air conditioning is a great idea but requires a competant operator to work well. And you need a heat source for nightime use. If I stay in Florida I intend to build such a system.
all true. combustion is also a factor in the degradation of the environment. look at an oil burning furnace. very popular up north and operated for long periods of the year. it exhausts soot into the atmosphere for example. ever see the inside of a chimney from an oil burning furnace. Solar is a great method and I hope at some point is widely used.
there are many pool clubs that use solar to cool the pools down. they run them at night. works exactly opposite as running during the day. pools used in the olympics use this to maintain the temps.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,009,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Karla - I like the hot coco thing especially with a shot but these days I have become accustomed to something straight out of the freezer like a good shot of espresso vodka. Van Gogh makes some really good flavored vodkas you’ve got to try
hmm looks like i need to go shopping
thanks for the heads up
karla

Old 03-06-2007, 06:37 PM

628 posts, read 1,826,700 times
So it sounds like some of you are saying that we should favor the most efficient methods of maintaining a lifestyle!!! I. E. we should live in the cold where it is easier or more efficient scientifically proven to heat vs cool.

So should we all be throwing out our refrigerators too??? Are we supposed to hunt and fish for the day’s meal and cook it before it sours? Are you saying we should dial the clock back 2-3 hundred years here?

I like Florida! I like the heat! When I need AC I will run it with an efficient environmentally friendly unit! And I will keep my refrigerator.

If you want to troll behind Home Depot for used pallets to break up for wood fuel to heat your 400 sq ft of home – if you want to keep your Budweisers on a rope floating in the stream to keep them cool – if you want to smoke or cure your meats rather than keep them fresh in a refrigerator because cooling is inefficient and environmentally unfriendly --- HAVE AT IT

Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 PM

467 posts, read 1,685,961 times
Quote:
So it sounds like some of you are saying that we should favor the most efficient methods of maintaining a lifestyle!!! I. E. we should live in the cold where it is easier or more efficient scientifically proven to heat vs cool.

So should we all be throwing out our refrigerators too??? Are we supposed to hunt and fish for the day’s meal and cook it before it sours? Are you saying we should dial the clock back 2-3 hundred years here?

I like Florida! I like the heat! When I need AC I will run it with an efficient environmentally friendly unit! And I will keep my refrigerator.

If you want to troll behind Home Depot for used pallets to break up for wood fuel to heat your 400 sq ft of home – if you want to keep your Budweisers on a rope floating in the stream to keep them cool – if you want to smoke or cure your meats rather than keep them fresh in a refrigerator because cooling is inefficient and environmentally unfriendly --- HAVE AT IT
ha ha...i too will keep my refridgerator and my a/c.......

Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
Quote:
Karla - I like the hot coco thing especially with a shot but these days I have become accustomed to something straight out of the freezer like a good shot of espresso vodka. Van Gogh makes some really good flavored vodkas you’ve got to try
I love coffee, I love vodka....can't wait to try it! I have been on a martini thing lately. Always used to have them made with gin, but the past couple of years have grown accustomed to vodka because I would have them when I visited my friend. I guess the flavored vodka would pretty much be a martini- is it sweet?

To comment on another post of yours that I agree with- Most efficient way to live. ..been there, DONE THAT and have successfully gotten over it! I'm not wasteful, but if I want to live large on ocassion, I figure I'm worth it. When traveling, I never think to myself, "It's just a room." I'd rather spend less time on a trip and do it right than suffer the mediocrity of life that thriftiness offers.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,189,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
nomoresnow have you tried it in hot coco yummmmmm
Not yet...wish I hadn't finished off my bottle, now!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,045,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
"March lows a little above freezing.......????"

I don't think so......right now, it is 0 degrees here........that is 32 degrees BELOW freezing. Wind chill right now is minus 17 degrees, but will go lower later today, to at least 20 -30 below ZERO.

At that temp, you bundle up the best you can......let the car run for over 25 minutes BEFORE you go anywhere, Your breath actually HURTS as you inhale that cold air into your lungs.......you actually feel your lungs hurting.

It will not be above freezing here for days.

I do not want to be a complainer......I like this forum for it's info.....I don't want it to be just a sounding board for complainers, so i'll try not to be one.
Yes, I live outside of Buffalo....I do not like it here.

Why am I here then? My job.....I have enough seniority now that it would be difficult for me to make what I now make elsewhere......BUT, you can either light a candle or curse the darkness.....I did do something about it.
as most of you know, I bought a house in Florida this month.

My plan is that I've put it in the hands of a rental manager. I cannot retire for another 1581 days........I will then move down there. I think I will like it more then I like the cold western NY........if I do not, If I am wrong, thank God I live in the best country in the world where I am free to move again someplace else without needing government approval.

Don't get me wrong.....I appreciate the honesty here...there is good and bad everywhere, and it is good to hear all sides......BUT, life is too short to live where you hate living.......we have the power to change almost anything you do not like about your life......just do it......and then be happy.

Frank D.

Dont you live in northern NY? I dont plan to live that far north. No further north than Oil city and maybe more south like south Ohio or West Virginia where it was more like 20 degrees and in fact its gonna go up to 60 degrees next week in southeast OH. Perfect for me -30 windchill is way too cold for me. I am self employed so I dont need to live where you live unless you got great houses for cheap, low crime, lots of shopping and culture, in this case may be worth dealing with significent cold If you dont like the endless Florida heat, of course you have the freedom to move again, perhaps youll like TN, NC, WV, OH and the like. Winters there are mild, nothing like the -30 windchill you get in upstate north NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
Need_affordable_home....you just won the......Understatment of the Day Award!

Holy shnikees!! Did I just read this?

Truth:
Winters aren't 2, 3, or 4 months long. More like 6, 7, and 8 months long.
And our summers are 90+ temps with heat indexes into the 100's. We only get a small handfull of days without humidity.
We don't have temperate climate. We have really freakin hot, and really freakin cold.

Truth:
A "little cold"? Right now in beautiful downtown Chicago it's 17 degrees with a 4 degree windchill. Uh hem....psst...it's March 6th. But our high today is 31! Which means it will take all day to get that "warm", and then we'll stay there for about an hour, and proceed to slide right into a deep freeze again.
Where did you check about "up north"? Which up north? Tallahasee?

Oh and yes, there are no hurricanes in the midwest. Nope not one!
However, we do contend with tornadoes.....12 months a year.

Peace.
Let me check Chicago's forecast. Ok Friday and onward you will have highs well above freezing with lows just above freezing. Our forecast calls for highs of around 80 with lows in the mid to high 60s. Looks like itll be time to turn the a/c again. Ive got my window open now and its still pretty hot in my room, 77 degrees now. It was 73 this morning and felt so good and refreshing(was 55 outside) and I looooooooooooved the cold breezes comming in from the window. I dont consider your Chicago temperatures hot nor cold. If its above freezing, spring is here

17 degrees? Wait till Friday then you can go outside in shorts and Tshirt and turn the heat off, maybe even open the window if your feeling warm Gonna be a nice sunny day accroding to the forecast. I dont disagree that Chicago gets cold 3-4 months of the year and your summers can get pretty hot. I have to deal with our 10 month summers and its no fun, trust me As for Tornados, we get them here too as well as hurricanes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
Oh I forgot to add! I get local weather reports emailed to me. I just received this. It is 4 degrees with an expected high of 15 degrees. Most times it is below zero. Dont forget to add in the 80% or plus humidity. This is bone chilling.

Personally I feel the winters are beyond miserable, they can be down right nasty. That's why we are in Florida renting and soon going to buy.
I hope you are happier in Florida. Lots of sunburns, being drenched with sweat, too hot to exercise outdoors, high a/c bills and hurricanes. I am not gonna downplay 4 degrees, thats pretty cold. Lots of people like TN and NC where its not 4 but 40+ degrees

Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,009,688 times
Quote:

ROFL you are so funny
thanks for starting my day with a laugh and one heck of a mental picture

karla

Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 181,476 times
It's going to be "decent" in Chicago this weekend.
Decent meaning in the 40's. However we're supposed to have rain along with that "nice" weather.
It won't matter to me though! Cause guess where I'm going to be at that time and all of next week?
You guessed it! Sunny warm Florida!
Getting about 10 rounds of golf in, some beach time, the usual stroll around Sea World and some family visiting!

Gotta get my golf in. Golf in the Chicagoland area is months away. Maybe longer because our ground is saturated. When its not cold enough to snow, it's been raining. Been this way since October!

And need_affordable_home? 40 ain't warm! Those are the highs by the way, which in midwest speak is the days "goal". The forecasters wish it gets this warm, when 9 times out of 10 it doesn't. It's starts in the 30's and creeps up into the 40's, then takes a nosedive soon after.
Me's thinking you have a health concern if you're opening windows in sub 60 degree weather and feeling comfortable! The average person would be freezing if they did that.

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida