Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Can you continue to do your translator job when you move? It seems like the sort of thing you could continue to do online. You could also start your own translation service in FL (although spanish translators are a dime a dozen down here).

I would finish your degree and then figure out what you want to do with your life. When you transfer schools it always sets you back in terms of graduation date. You should view your degree as a long term investment, not an immediate one and finish it.

After that I think you will find FL a pleasant place to live. There are many people of South American heritage in this area (I am in Weston, W of Ft. Lauderdale). As a college graduate you would be able to get a better job (long term prospect) than you will as a a HS graduate, especially if you are truly bi-lingual. There is a constant demand in FL for people who are truly literate in spanish and english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM

35 posts, read 92,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Can you continue to do your translator job when you move? It seems like the sort of thing you could continue to do online. You could also start your own translation service in FL (although spanish translators are a dime a dozen down here).

I would finish your degree and then figure out what you want to do with your life. When you transfer schools it always sets you back in terms of graduation date. You should view your degree as a long term investment, not an immediate one and finish it.

After that I think you will find FL a pleasant place to live. There are many people of South American heritage in this area (I am in Weston, W of Ft. Lauderdale). As a college graduate you would be able to get a better job (long term prospect) than you will as a a HS graduate, especially if you are truly bi-lingual. There is a constant demand in FL for people who are truly literate in spanish and english.
I would have to quiet honestly do a bit of more research in reference to providing translation services down in FL for EI agencies. I'm certain there is a tremendous demand down there for it. As far as starting up my own business it's an idea that I actually pondered about. However, i haven't implemented anything on it as yet. I'm quiet honestly leaning towards finishing up my degree quiet honestly with the way the market is shifting I believe a marketing degree is the best things for me to obtain at this point. I want to get an associates as a registered nurse here work have atleast 1yr of experience make my move to FL and countinue to a four year college. I believe this makes the most sense.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
Since you mentioned Boca and WPB I thought I'd let you know those are expensive areas to live in and right now jobs are scarce, haven't even heard of translator jobs around here, I think Miami would be the place (but I'm really not the best source of information for that...). I live in WPB and personally think it has more "personality" than Boca but the COL, among other things, is running me out of here.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:14 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,150,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludenaa View Post
Hello all,

This is actually my first post so here it goes . . .
Pretty much the same advice I give to anyone:

(1) Don't move someplace just because of weather. You're not a cloud, you're a person, and you have to have other concerns than weather.

(2) Don't move someplace without either: (a) a job, (b) enough money to live there for at least a year without working with enough leftover to move somewhere else instead if you need to AND where you already have a job lined up in the "fall back" location, or (c) some other means of financial support, like family.

(3) Do NOT let posts on sites like this either dissuade or persuade you to move somewhere. You should only decide to move or not move someplace because you have good reasons to, where it wouldn't really matter what random strangers type on a message board.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
My son is your age and totally hates it here and moving back home to Phila. He's been here 10 years since college. As you know, you can be just about anywhere in a few hours driving or train...from there including Canada. NY, AC, Phila, Md, etc are a stone's throw with never ending action and culture etc.

It's BORING here, really. (not including Miami if that's your bag) Anywhere you want to go is FAR. You have to drive hours and hours to just get out of Florida and you're only in Georgia (or Bama) for goodness sakes (in So Fl).. LOL.

He moved to downtown West Palm for the few activities and nightlife and to be able to walk outside and get to places. It's also culturally very different than Phila/NJ/NY. Alot of S L O W paced people and I'm not talking about seniors. Just brain dead young people. They can take three times the time to ring you up at CVS compared to Phila, seriously. It's still the S O U T H and they are not too thrilled with Northerners, I'm not kidding.

Spend time and see if you really do like it. Get cheap fares by signing up with Spirit you just missed some flights for ONE dollar this week. Come down alot and see what you think. You need to ignore the weather and water and listen to people around you. Usually you hear NOTHING LOLOL. It's very different than up North where everyone is talking all the time and laughing. I think the sun fries brains here, seriously. The only animated people I know are from other places.

Yes, get the job first but I'd think you'd have a good chance using your bilingualism but perhaps not in your field. These are your earning years so try and put career first, pay your dues, then you can do anything you think of..... (speaking as a mom).

Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
My son is your age and totally hates it here and moving back home to Phila. He's been here 10 years since college. As you know, you can be just about anywhere in a few hours driving or train...from there including Canada. NY, AC, Phila, Md, etc are a stone's throw with never ending action and culture etc.

It's BORING here, really. (not including Miami if that's your bag) Anywhere you want to go is FAR. You have to drive hours and hours to just get out of Florida and you're only in Georgia (or Bama) for goodness sakes (in So Fl).. LOL.

He moved to downtown West Palm for the few activities and nightlife and to be able to walk outside and get to places. It's also culturally very different than Phila/NJ/NY. Alot of S L O W paced people and I'm not talking about seniors. Just brain dead young people. They can take three times the time to ring you up at CVS compared to Phila, seriously. It's still the S O U T H and they are not too thrilled with Northerners, I'm not kidding.

Spend time and see if you really do like it. Get cheap fares by signing up with Spirit you just missed some flights for ONE dollar this week. Come down alot and see what you think. You need to ignore the weather and water and listen to people around you. Usually you hear NOTHING LOLOL. It's very different than up North where everyone is talking all the time and laughing. I think the sun fries brains here, seriously. The only animated people I know are from other places.

Yes, get the job first but I'd think you'd have a good chance using your bilingualism but perhaps not in your field. These are your earning years so try and put career first, pay your dues, then you can do anything you think of..... (speaking as a mom).
I agree and I am sure my 29 year old daughter, who just moved here from NY and cries her eyes out every night, would too. I gave you a rep for this one.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I agree and I am sure my 29 year old daughter, who just moved here from NY and cries her eyes out every night, would too. I gave you a rep for this one.
LOL poor girl. AND sun damage ahead, too! Buy her some UV clothing they have it at Bells (Columbia brand only) and online Coolibar

Bummer my son has a girlfriend, they'd probably hit it off. They could go ice skating together he's a hockey player.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Since you mentioned Boca and WPB I thought I'd let you know those are expensive areas to live in and right now jobs are scarce, haven't even heard of translator jobs around here, I think Miami would be the place (but I'm really not the best source of information for that...). I live in WPB and personally think it has more "personality" than Boca but the COL, among other things, is running me out of here.
I don't understand the COL thing.... home prices, rents (with all the empty condos that aren't selling), and taxes and HOI are the lowest now they've been in years. Had I moved here four years ago I would not have been able to afford anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors
I don't find it boring at all. Then again, I grew up in a bedroom community where West Palm Beach WAS "the big city"... so I can see how someone moving from a big big city like NY or Philadelphia may find the lifestyle "slower" or "boring." Then again, when I went home to visit friends who grew up in NE Jersey right outside of New York, they told me they never went to the city for anything....

Here in WPB, my circle of friends constantly comes up with new things to do and places to go and see in Palm Beach County, not to mention the entire tri-county area. Plus, with three major airports and New York a $70 flight away on Jet Blue, if I want to see it I can. And leave it when I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors
Guess my own experiences are a bit different. Then again, I didn't move from Philadelphia, and don't require big city stuff to do. I agree it is definitely a LOT slower here than NY or Philly... but would disagree with the "Northerners" thing though.... this place is ALL Northerners. If they're not Northerners, they're foreigners, or African Americans. The most common accent in West Palm Beach is Brooklyn Italian, not Southern drawl! Maybe up near Vero you can get animosity towards Northerners, but Palm Beach was colonized by tri-staters, and places like Port St. Lucie are the same thing (Martin County is a bit more good old boy though).

Old 01-02-2009, 03:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I agree and I am sure my 29 year old daughter, who just moved here from NY and cries her eyes out every night

I hope you're exaggerating and not being literal.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default I am being literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

I hope you're exaggerating and not being literal.
She only came here because she had to because of finances to live with Mom and Dad, not because she wanted to move to Florida. I am sure if we had still been in NY and she moved in with us, she would be not be crying every night out of boredom. She even says it, "It is so BORING here." Well, that is NAPLES, Florida for you. Yep, boring. Hell, I find it boring too and I am 60 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida