Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Ohhhh So true! Crime is up all over Miami-Dade, I know to some I probably sound like a record player. But it is up, and like you said "Crime knows no zip code"
No it's not...

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/..._annual08.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm not sure where you live, but rim theft has always been extremely popular around Plantation/West Ft. Lauderdale (lets look at State Road 7 as the epicenter) as well as some parts of Miramar for quite some time. Like you said, it's mobile, but it seems to occur a lot in areas that are near a lot of warehouses. Hmm...
I lived in plantation up until recently. Lived there for a number of years and I NEVER had that happen before. I never saw anyones car on bricks either. I have heard of it happening a LOT in Miramar and Pines though.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
you should read that report. In some of the categories its almost double. I have a feeling a lot of this is probably fudging numbers too. I have spoken to a few cops now all reporting they are experiencing sky rocketing crime in broward and in dade.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
probably not quite as cold as where they came from with a cheaper cost of living than Florida. Unless they are well off, living on a fixed income here may not be the bargain it once was.

The people I knew from NY, who left for retirement, went to NC and Pa, not Florida.
If they went to PA, they enjoy cold winters. The entire state is colder than the NYC area.

And NC has areas that have winters that are just as cold or colder than NJ -- coastal NJ is zone 7A, interior NJ is zone 6B, and NC has interior zones that are 6A and 6B.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Quote:
Ok then it not! Have you spoken to any cop lately? If not I suggest you do before you say crime is not up. Its up and anyone that doesn't think its up is kidding them self.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,719 times
More moved out of Florida than here from other states, census data show - St. Petersburg Times

in todays paper

Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,586 times
Quote:
.....as if statistics like that aren't "fudged" in any way

Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Serious trend? More folks move out of Florida

alot of people think they would be estatic if millions of people left Florida.

But, have y'all thought it thru?

taxes wont drop for a while, so you will probably pay much more

HOA fees still need to be paid, so you best hope you dont live in one

your kids school might close, and they have to be bussed way away.

HOT BABES MIGHT LEAVE!!!!

Spend a few minutes thinking about that, and post your thoughts

(No gut reactions, think first!! )
I would expect car insurance rates to drop then which is good....the rates here are quite high in the panhandle . Dont care about property taxes...im going to be paying $99 for the year on a 1 acre lot with 3 bedroom house cause im way out in the country unincorporated . Dont care about whos hot and whos not --- im beyond the stage of using women for thier bodies ; I greatly value their friendship and who they are internally now. No kids . I think the Panhandle where i live wont suffer much population loss since its a big tourist area along the coast by Destin, etc. If Florida residents wish to leave the state, i wish them well in their endeavors and dreams ; people leave for a variety of reasons and if its to better your life you cant blame them. I moved down here to better my life., and i feel i have.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:38 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdaleny View Post
Just on the news, floridas population drops by 58,000 2008-2009, and in years to come I think it will be dropping more, because in my high school, of 4500 almost every single kid cannot wait to move out of Florida.
I don't think FL has to worry it'll become a ghost state. As one who left FL after high school never to return (except to visit family), I can tell you the exodus of young, middle or higher income people is not a new phenomenon. But for every 18 year old who leaves, a new 65 year old retiree will move in, plus another immigrant or two.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
I hate to burst anybody's bubbles, but it is a myth that only old people come to Florida from other states.

I will try to find the link, but I recall reading that young people were/are the #1 group locating to Florida, despite Florida's reputation as a retirement destination.

Many came for the real estate and construction related jobs. Those that did, are now looking for the next area of construction work.

In terms of educated young people leaving Florida, here is a study showing that the NORTHEAST has actually and traditionally had the greatest "outflow" of "young and educated" people, and that Florida received net INCREASE in young and educated:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-12.pdf

These days, who knows, as the economy sucks from New York City to Miami, and everywhere inbetween. It would be interesting to look at the influx patterns again once the economy rebounds around the country, and people are free to move as easily as they could in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida