Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

My older daughter, aged 30, lasted 4 months in Florida. Biggest reason was heat and humidity, and "nothing but old people". She got a job within one week of moving to Florida and got a job in NY before she ever returned. She was hired with just a phone interview. They never even saw her until she started her first day of work.

I suppose for every "rule", whether Florida or NY, there are exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:27 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I hate to burst anybody's bubbles, but it is a myth that only old people come to Florida from other states.

I will try to find the link, but I recall reading that young people were/are the #1 group locating to Florida, despite Florida's reputation as a retirement destination.

Many came for the real estate and construction related jobs. Those that did, are now looking for the next area of construction work.

In terms of educated young people leaving Florida, here is a study showing that the NORTHEAST has actually and traditionally had the greatest "outflow" of "young and educated" people, and that Florida received net INCREASE in young and educated:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-12.pdf

These days, who knows, as the economy sucks from New York City to Miami, and everywhere inbetween. It would be interesting to look at the influx patterns again once the economy rebounds around the country, and people are free to move as easily as they could in the past.
Disagree.

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
This state was happy to welcome millions of graying but healthy Americans like the Schmidts. They brought few problems while creating a ''mailbox economy'' of pension and Medicare checks - $20 billion a year in Federal payments alone - that eased the tax burden for other residents.

FLORIDA BURDEN: THE AGING RETIRED - New York Times

Last edited by Keeper; 08-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: too much for copyright law

Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My older daughter, aged 30, lasted 4 months in Florida. Biggest reason was heat and humidity, and "nothing but old people"......
You need to tell her Shes not as old as she used to be ---shes older ! ...lol.... Also tell her she'll be 72 in no time and back down living in Florida again.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Um... yeah.... what, exactly, are you "disagreeing" with by posting a link to the demographics of Florida? Does it dispute the net migration figures of young educated people into the state as described by the census bureau link?

BTW, 17.4% of the population of Florida is over the age of 65. This is only an additional 5% in excess of the "average" percentage for the entire country.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Um... yeah.... what, exactly, are you "disagreeing" with by posting a link to the demographics of Florida? Does it dispute the net migration figures of young educated people into the state as described by the census bureau link?
BTW, 17.4% of the population of Florida is over the age of 65. This is only an additional 5% in excess of the "average" percentage for the entire country.
There are no jobs in Florida now, even for a young educated person. I doubt that there is a net migration of young people to Florida.

Of all the States, Florida had by far the highest proportion elderly, almost 19 percent.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Mind pointing out on there where we should be looking?
It is a basic census fact page that has been posted numerous times.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
There are no jobs in Florida now, even for a young educated person. I doubt that there is a net migration of young people to Florida.

Of all the States, Florida had by far the highest proportion elderly, almost 19 percent.
As usual you post nothing substantative.

No jobs in Florida? The millions of people working may disagree with you.

As far as that 19%, do you even know what the percentage in other states is. Pennsylvania is just below GFlorida if I recall and most states are not far off.

If Florida was 25% and other states were all 10% I could see it being a valid point but .03 of a percent is really nothing.

Try again?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
I'm guessing they meant available jobs. That would be more of the truth.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
I can say without a doubt that if I had moved here now instead of 2 years ago, I would not have a job today. Most school districts now have a hiring freeze on. The Non Profit, which also offered me a job 2 years ago, almost closed last year. They managed to get enough funding to stay open for one more year. They too have a firing freeze on today.

Times change, but some people apparently think everything is still status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida