Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,885 times

Advertisements

Looking to start a business in Clewiston. Anybody have any firsthand experience on the business climate or people there? Demographics seem to indicate mostly Hispanic, low income, and higher than average crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 04:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard32 View Post
Looking to start a business in Clewiston. Anybody have any firsthand experience on the business climate or people there? Demographics seem to indicate mostly Hispanic, low income, and higher than average crime rate.
I haven't been there for a while, but in 2001 it had a high unemployment rate and a lot of businesses empty. There are some nice areas, but a lot of the city is poor and Mexican. Real estate is priced 3-4 times what it should be due to speculators looking to make a fortune. Hendry county property taxes are sky high also. Oh and there isn't much violent crime but people will steal anything they can get their hands on.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:30 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
Here's some info on Clewiston:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clewiston,_Florida
We drove up there at Christmas -- quaint town but really nothing to recommend it. Business wise or otherwise.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I've driven through there on a more or less yearly basis for about 15 years. When I first was going through, it was a strange little town heavily dominated by the sugar industry. As time has gone on it has appeared more and more generic and more properous. I'm not sure where the money comes from, but unless the real estate market there totally tanks, it could be a good area to establish a business. What type of business are you thinking about?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 55,976 times
not sure if you've looked any further into starting your business, but I was raised in Clewiston, and not many businesses last. need more info personally message me

Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've driven through there on a more or less yearly basis for about 15 years. When I first was going through, it was a strange little town heavily dominated by the sugar industry. As time has gone on it has appeared more and more generic and more properous. I'm not sure where the money comes from, but unless the real estate market there totally tanks, it could be a good area to establish a business. What type of business are you thinking about?
Prosperous????? Are you sure you're talking about the same Clewiston!!!I might go up to Orlando from Miami 3-4 times a year taking US 27 and pretty much anything south of Sebring looks anything BUT prosperous!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM

22 posts, read 83,454 times
It's a tiny, laid back town with not much to do. I wouldn't mind having an extra house in that area when I wanna get away and relax. When I was younger, we would go on travel basketball tournaments and play at the Harlem Gym in Harlem (small African-American community near Clewiston). Ever since then, Ive always had a connection with the area for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida