Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,373 times

Advertisements

Personal liability goes beyond your property. If you are negligent and harm someone anywhere in the world, the personal liability in your homeowner's policy would defend you and cover your damages to the extent of the policy. For example, if you knock someone over with a shopping cart in the supermarket, and they are injured, your personal liability coverage will cover it.

MacGuy has well covered part of the property-related coverage with legitimate people on your property. If a tree limb falls on the meter reader and kills him, your personal liability coverage in your homeowner's policy will cover it it. On a less dramatic level, it will also cover dog bites, for example.

But, another, lesser known, factor is something called "attractive nuisance". It doesn't mean "attractive" in the sense of being pretty, it means that it attracts people. Things like a swimming pool or a pond are attractive nuisances. The law says that you are responsible for protecting the public against themselves if you have such a "nuisance" on yhour property. The law also says that low fences and "no trespassing" signs are not enough; you have to take pro-active efforts to protect the public. That's why high fences, screen rooms, alarms, pool fences and other protective measures are required.

If one does not own many assets, liability coverage is not as important. If you don't have anything, they can't take anything from you if you get sued. In fact, probably the best way to protect yourself from getting sued is to be a pauper. Lawyers only go after deep pockets.

If you have homeowner's insurance, it includes personal liability coverage. what I'm looking for is personal liability coverage outside of a homeowner's policy. I can afford to self-insure my property because the most I can lose is the property value -- and the land will always be there and have value. What I can't predict or afford to self-insure is personal liability for a death or serious injury -- it could run into millions. I don't have to have done anything wrong to be the defendant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
OldTimer, I'm so sorry. I don't have an answer for you or the name of a company, but could you possibly get renter's insurance so it would cover liability and your personal belongings? I remember we had a discussion about renter's insurance in the past and don't think there was ever a definitive answer. SO, is it possible to get that so you could have liability OR do you HAVE to be a renter to get it? I know the question may sound silly, but since you will be self insuring, is it possible to get it just so you can have liability?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Personal liability goes beyond your property. If you are negligent and harm someone anywhere in the world, the personal liability in your homeowner's policy would defend you and cover your damages to the extent of the policy. For example, if you knock someone over with a shopping cart in the supermarket, and they are injured, your personal liability coverage will cover it.

MacGuy has well covered part of the property-related coverage with legitimate people on your property. If a tree limb falls on the meter reader and kills him, your personal liability coverage in your homeowner's policy will cover it it. On a less dramatic level, it will also cover dog bites, for example.

But, another, lesser known, factor is something called "attractive nuisance". It doesn't mean "attractive" in the sense of being pretty, it means that it attracts people. Things like a swimming pool or a pond are attractive nuisances. The law says that you are responsible for protecting the public against themselves if you have such a "nuisance" on yhour property. The law also says that low fences and "no trespassing" signs are not enough; you have to take pro-active efforts to protect the public. That's why high fences, screen rooms, alarms, pool fences and other protective measures are required.

If one does not own many assets, liability coverage is not as important. If you don't have anything, they can't take anything from you if you get sued. In fact, probably the best way to protect yourself from getting sued is to be a pauper. Lawyers only go after deep pockets.

If you have homeowner's insurance, it includes personal liability coverage. what I'm looking for is personal liability coverage outside of a homeowner's policy. I can afford to self-insure my property because the most I can lose is the property value -- and the land will always be there and have value. What I can't predict or afford to self-insure is personal liability for a death or serious injury -- it could run into millions. I don't have to have done anything wrong to be the defendant.
Thats interesting, I have to read my policy in detail. I know my car was broke into once and my HO covered it.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,373 times
Reading your policy will help, as long as it doesn't confuse you more. Having a best friend who is an agent is priceless. We talk about these things all the time.

The only problem is, he really doesn't want to talk about the "liability only" thing. I suspect because he just doesn't have an answer -- it's a pretty unusual concept, only now becoming a viable question in the face of humongous insurance increases.

Still dong my research, came across a discussion of what is covered under personal liability policies. Some examples -- a kid throwing rocks at a car was covered because it was considered a prank, without the intention or understanding or the harm it could cause. A kid who set fire to his school was not covered because he intended to be harmful, even though he had no idea of the ultimate amount of damage he would cause.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 AM

142 posts, read 578,527 times
I believe the Travelers is a good company for liability insurance.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
OldTimer, have you found a company that would sell you just liability insurance? If you have, let us know in case any of us is ever in the same situation.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:53 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,506 times
I think I remember reading that the new insurance reform legislation that is pending will let people pick and chose what kind of coverage they want to buy.

An a la carte program makes sense. There is no reason why the insurance companies cant have their computers determine the risk of fire coverage, liability coverage, etc as separate policies.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,563 times
expensive but you can try florida chartered insurance
they have an 800 number

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,667 times
Default Liability only in florida

Was not able to find liability only for my Florida home. Ended up taking a policy with Citizens with maxed out deductibles and zero value of personal property. If some one finds a liability only, let us know.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpon1963 View Post
Was not able to find liability only for my Florida home. Ended up taking a policy with Citizens with maxed out deductibles and zero value of personal property. If some one finds a liability only, let us know.
Liberty Mutual sells separate policies. This is new in just the last year or two they have to offer something that is not part of a package. I wanted to drop my windstorm and just keep my fire and liability and I was able to do it. Can't say they take new customers but you can give them a call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida