Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,520 times

Advertisements

I agree with all these posts here because they really do center on one's dreams. If you dream of warmer temps and dream of vacation all year round, you'll end up unhappy with Florida because while it is warm, it is a place like everywhere else where you have to work, pay bills, and do the same daily things that you did wherever you came from (unless you are retired and set for money). However, if you dream of warmer temps and a different lifestyle, all the while knowing that you will still have to work and maintain a living to pay the bills, etc., then Florida will be just fine for you. If your dreams include colder weather, well, needless to say, don't even consider Florida. What are your dreams? And can you live with the reality that it brings? My answer to Florida was yes. My dreams did come true because I made sure that I could live with its reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
BH,

For this weekend only, there is not a place in the world that I would rather be than Pittsburgh. It's wet, cold, dark and the stock market is in the chronic doldrums, but the Steelers are in the Super Bowl. The mood of the city is glowing. For Florida, it's the sunshine. For Pittsburgh (and the large national following), it's the Steelers. Now, when Monday arrives....

It's interesting that you compare Florida taxes to NY, MD, and MA regions; places that are hubs for higher paying jobs, BENEFITS, renowned schools (especially the universities); diversified economies and limited winter sunshine; long-standing and strong pro sports. These are also places that will have higher utility bills in the winter months, have basements (more usable living space), and will often have home windows open for up to 8 months of the year. The number of foreclosures and homeowners owing more than their houses are worth in Florida dwarf any of the three states that you mention. Maybe houses are more affordable for those with SOH and portablity benefits, but is a money pit for any out-of state owner or anyone wishing to own Florida investment properties. Taxes upon the wealthy Florida resident are most definitely reasonable, but not for those struggling to make ends meet in a Florida economy (that is too dependent upon the tourist dollar and unbridled real estate development). Not sure how the Florida cultural scene can even come close to New York, Massachusetts, or the DC region??

As I had posted earlier, establishing residence in any area is a complete package deal with both the positives and the negatives. For far too many, the sunshine, humidity, and the beaches are the lone factors for their potential happiness .... Florida is their "Utopia". Unfortunately, there is no such place as Utopia, and Florida needs to progress from being just a place of dreams ( or far too many lost dreams).
Hey Coach,
Good balanced counter response, and not really a negative Florida bashing reply either. You're right it is a whole package deal. There are a lot of dynamics that make one place have more positives for you than others, but still a lot of it comes from ones perspective. I wasn't saying that DC, Mass, and NY didn't have a huge amount of culture, but there are a lot of cultural opportunities down here as well .

You have to be really enjoying life right now! Pittsburgh's geographical territory has grown immensely in the past week! Now, if I could just get a Primani sandwich in "Pittsampa" this weekend I'd be all set! I know that all next year I'm gonna have to deal with those gloating Steelers Fans! But, I'm still going to root for my division to win it all! Go Steelers! I want to see those Yellow Towels all over the place tonight!

Hey Rachael and Tan, You have to be happy that I've come down here, it was a pretty good soaker yesterday, and it seems like a Fall day today (at least this morning anyway!

Gypsychic - thanks for the comment and rep point

Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Yes, it feels like Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Hey Coach,
Good balanced counter response, and not really a negative Florida bashing reply either. You're right it is a whole package deal. There are a lot of dynamics that make one place have more positives for you than others, but still a lot of it comes from ones perspective. I wasn't saying that DC, Mass, and NY didn't have a huge amount of culture, but there are a lot of cultural opportunities down here as well .

You have to be really enjoying life right now! Pittsburgh's geographical territory has grown immensely in the past week! Now, if I could just get a Primani sandwich in "Pittsampa" this weekend I'd be all set! I know that all next year I'm gonna have to deal with those gloating Steelers Fans! But, I'm still going to root for my division to win it all! Go Steelers! I want to see those Yellow Towels all over the place tonight!

Hey Rachael and Tan, You have to be happy that I've come down here, it was a pretty good soaker yesterday, and it seems like a Fall day today (at least this morning anyway!

Gypsychic - thanks for the comment and rep point
I LOVE it. Apparently, even enough golfers don't mind it since there are quite a number on the golf course today; even with having to wear long pants and jackets.

Wish I could go out today, but I am having company tomorrow for Super Bowl and need to start preparations.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
[FONT=Verdana]I have read so many threads on here about people leaving the snow to come to sunny Florida and finally decided to post a thread. First I should tell you I came from a small town in NJ on the shore. I lived there my entire life and was tired of the winters and snow and thought it would be a better life for my kids...I have spoken to so many people from all over the states and each have expressed how much they miss “home” and would go back in a minute[/FONT].]
Thank you so much! We Floridians miss our home so much, too, and wish we could turn the clock back, too.

I wish I could go back to the 40s and tell everyone to be happy with WHO YOU ARE, and WHERE YOU ARE!

That way you're happy up there in the NE, and we're not bitter, displaced Floridans.

Your post will help all of us reach our goals!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,769 times
I agree with your points. The cost of living is high in Toronto as well, and we were looking to buy now since the housing market is lower and more affordable and then renting it out until we would retire (so employment and schools are not a condsideration). The HOA is something that I'm not familiar with. What is it and how does it work?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,769 times
Smile Ideal Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
Yep, that's my neighbor...moved here to just enjoy the weather and have an active life outdoors. Kids all grown, fun time. Works for him and his wife!

I didn't move here with a chip, in fact I moved here glowing about FL and so happy to be out of the Northeast. It's only as I've been here awhile I realize that I value some other things (like lifelong friends and family that I miss) more than weather and the cost of living isn't as cheap as it was in 01/02 when I came. Still, it is not such a bad place to be...especially today and yesterday with these beautiful days.

I think the ideal situation would be to go down to Florida during our dreariest months (JAN, FEB & MAR) and then go back up north to experience the rest of the seasons.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,270 times
Default For the weather

We are looking into moving to Fla for the weather. My hubby has diabetes and the cold is just awful for his joint pain. I know many people who have moved to Fl from the Norhteast and absolutely love it. I fel bad for anyone who is not happy where they are. That's hard to deal with...especially if you can't change your circumstances asap. I do love the fall weather, winter is my least fav time of year, love summer and love spring. However, I won't be moving to Fl with the expectations that will LOVE the weather from day one. The many friends I know down there that lived in the NE most of their life have already said the same thing about the weather: It will take you while to get used to it, but it really depends on your attitude.

My attitude is wherever I am, I can be happy because that's what I've decided on. Will I miss fall? You betcha.

But I will NOT miss my hubby's pain. Somethings are just a matter of how you look at them.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
I don't like Florida much... just don't expect everything to be perfect down here if you move here. There are things you won't like everywhere, but Florida has alot of hidden things that just stink once you get past the sunshine.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina1111 View Post
I agree with your points. The cost of living is high in Toronto as well, and we were looking to buy now since the housing market is lower and more affordable and then renting it out until we would retire (so employment and schools are not a condsideration). The HOA is something that I'm not familiar with. What is it and how does it work?

HOA is Home Owners Association. It is dues you pay for the community you live in. Not all homes in Florida have HOA fees. Deed Restricted communities means there are rules that each homeowner must obey in their development, such as; no boats in the yard, no rv's, no trespassing or soliciting, yards must be maintained. Each community has their own rules. My HOA dues are $600/year. It includes the garbage pick up and the maintenance of the lakes, the sign in the front... Some could be much higher if you live on a golf course. The fees are used to maintain the "shared" property, pay for the guard if its a gated community.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 138,825 times
[quote=TANaples;7141485]and can remember what winters USED to be like in NYC. I am 60. In the blizzard of 1977 we got 25 inches in one day. I walked home a mile and a half in that in Queens because the buses could not run. I could not even get into my house. Had to get a neighbor to shovel my way into the front door.

Well, you were one of the lucky ones! I was only a year old when the blizzard of '77 hit, but my sister was 10 and I have heard all about it from her, my mom and my dad who was a paramedic/emt at the time.
My sister was stuck at school for nearly 48 hours!! My mom had to stay over at her workplace (Fancher's furniture) until my dad could pick her up just like he picked others up--on snowmobile!!!!!! My grandmother had been watching me, so I was fine! The neighbors were all letting their dogs out the UPSTAIRS window to pee because they COULDN'T SEE their front door. The road we used to live on had drifts up to the power lines. Try walking home from that in the snow. 25" in one day???? LOLLLOLLOLOL That has happened at least 3 times this winter here in Buffalo area!! LMAO. Please, quit whining about 80 and sunny. I'm sure we're all getting friggin' sick of it. 25" of snow. Sorry, but that's too funny. A few years ago on Christmas we got 3' like *overnight*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida