Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,128 times

Advertisements

Hey all My wife and I are looking to move to Florida by next November from Minnesota. I wanna move so I can work as a ocean lifeguard. I have looked at these 3 cities and I know PCB does not have lifeguards but does have surf and beach rescue. We have a son who would be close to 2 years at the time of the move and we are both in our mid 20's I was just wondering giving our age, and my hopeful profession where would be the best city to move to. I hope you guys can give me some help that would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,730 times
I can only say that you're right about PCB. During a 2 week span last summer there were 7 drownings along Bay/Walton Counties. They were mostly tourists and some were ordered out of the surf due to rip currents and returned after the authorities left only to discover why they were ordered out...the hard way. It's a very seasonal occupation here.
With so many cut backs, I wish you luck...

Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,173 times
I used to be a Life Guard. I'm also a native Floridian. Daytona would be the best place if you're single. But because you're not and have a child, I'd recommend Sarasota because they have the better schools out of the 3 you mentioned.

The problem you're going to find is that all beaches are the County Government responsibility for Life Guards. In Daytona, they are also Police Officers, so they generally recruit previous officers, rather than WSI credentials. Many Life Guard jobs around the state are seasonal or part-time only, so they are second jobs for many people and don't have benefits for you/your family.

Because County governments are funded in Florida through property taxes (we don't have state income taxes), they are now facing severe budget shortfalls due to the real estate market crash and are now scrambling to cut services (and employees).

You definately wouldn't want to relocate your family without landing the job first, and your best bet would be to check for job announcements posted on each of the county web sites.

I also don't want to be a downer, but remember that most teens who live on the Florida coastline are usually active on local swim/water polo teams (as hockey is in Minnesota), so you'll be competing against many seasoned local applicants.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM

268 posts, read 900,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Daytona would be the best place if you're single.
I disagree.

Being single in Daytona, Ocala, Gainesville or anywhere north central Florida is the worst. For singles over 30, South Florida #1 and Tampa #2. I've lived in Volusia county since mid 1970s and still own a Condo in DBS.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 PM

343 posts, read 1,045,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
I disagree.

Being single in Daytona, Ocala, Gainesville or anywhere north central Florida is the worst. For singles over 30, South Florida #1 and Tampa #2. I've lived in Volusia county since mid 1970s and still own a Condo in DBS.
How is being single in Gainesville a bad thing? You know there are about 70,000 college students here, right? This place is overrun with single people.

Edit: nevermind you're talking about people over 30.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM

268 posts, read 900,024 times
Lagoon7 -

Gainesville is paradise for innocent 17 year old boys/girls from small town USA/Florida. However, once you hit 30, if you're still single things begin to change. Then u hit 40 and u really start to feel like why am I the problem? Then u notice married folks around u aren't so happy and people your age kinda just 'give up' and stay home out of embarrasement being the 'oldest dude at the party'. Gainesville over 40s have serious depression. A lot of older single folks in G'ville simply never go out. Think about; if you were 48 years old and u looked good, thin, ate right, etc and you went to Dockside Imports on any given night, how would u feel? Besides Bars are a terrible way to meet people. It's rather funny, I see good looking single men, never married, no kids and well off financially dating and propsoing to women older than they with 3+ kids and dead end jobs! American men seem so desperate these days...... Thank god I traveled outside the US 10 years ago. I can fly to Brazil or Colombia and meet beautiful, thin women/no kids/good job/feminine/ 15 years my junior and the don't wanna boss me around nor run the show like so many American gals............

Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 15,562 times
TheFloridian, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT !?!

Old 03-10-2016, 05:56 AM

15 posts, read 15,768 times
Wink Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Lagoon7 -

Gainesville is paradise for innocent 17 year old boys/girls from small town USA/Florida. However, once you hit 30, if you're still single things begin to change. Then u hit 40 and u really start to feel like why am I the problem? Then u notice married folks around u aren't so happy and people your age kinda just 'give up' and stay home out of embarrasement being the 'oldest dude at the party'. Gainesville over 40s have serious depression. A lot of older single folks in G'ville simply never go out. Think about; if you were 48 years old and u looked good, thin, ate right, etc and you went to Dockside Imports on any given night, how would u feel? Besides Bars are a terrible way to meet people. It's rather funny, I see good looking single men, never married, no kids and well off financially dating and propsoing to women older than they with 3+ kids and dead end jobs! American men seem so desperate these days...... Thank god I traveled outside the US 10 years ago. I can fly to Brazil or Colombia and meet beautiful, thin women/no kids/good job/feminine/ 15 years my junior and the don't wanna boss me around nor run the show like so many American gals............

LAGOON7,

Are you sure it is not your ego? Sorry~~

Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,784 times
Have you made any inquires about opening for lifeguards in those cities/counties? These jobs are very heavy on nepotism, it would help if your Aunt Mary was a county commissoner etc. The larger the county the more the openings, generally. There is not a lot of turnover in these jobs either. Its easier to find a part time/seasonal/ weekend job as a lifeguard. I know in Jax Beach guys that were lifeguards in HS and college work on weekend for the rest of their lives essentially. I grew up on the Jersey Shore, my uncle was a teacher and worked every summer as a lifeguard from 16 to 65. (now he is retired and lives on a sail boat in the Virgin Islands... rough life)

Another place to look for job as a lifeguard is some of the resorts in Orlando area, granted its not Ocean Rescue but it could be an option for you

Old 03-12-2016, 09:13 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I'm guessing the OP has figured out something already since this is a 7-year old thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida