U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 10:32 AM

13,495 posts, read 36,090,532 times

Advertisements

I realize Florida has a lot of problems such as insurance, taxes, extremely high cost of housing, etc. But for anyone planning on relocating north, I'd like you to know there's a bad side to that, too. I'm not sure why we don't talk about things like this more so others will know that it's not just occasional snow and cold that happen up north. (Maybe it's cause this is the FLORIDA thread and we try to stay focused many on Florida.)

I took a vacation day yesterday and went out for a walk. It isn't beautiful like the Christmas card scenes show. The snow is melting at a tremendous pace now and it's muddy everywhere you look. You have to be cautious and go to the side of the street when a car passed you or you'll be splashed full of water and mud. (Yes, many northern towns don't have sidewalks all over the city)The snow is dirty, the trees are bare, and thank Heavens we finally have a few birds singing. There are also so many worse things that can happen living up north that none of you have ever considered. I posted something on my own state board and I encourage you to go and read about it. It's pretty sad, but luckily everyone survived.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 23,413,621 times
Jammie,

Like you I had the opportunity to live in the cold states as Utah, North Dakota and NY. I rather stay south than deal with snow/cold weather again. Is just easier to adapt, less expensive overall, and less changes to the whole family. I do like the snow for a day or two and I'm done.

I must tell you that I do have a lot of respect for the people that live up north. The winter can be cruel and can get the cabin fever to drive families apart. We had a very large number of divorces in Grand Forks AFB just because the limited things to do during winter and the lack of adaptability of the individuals....

Old 03-10-2007, 05:34 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,859,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I realize Florida has a lot of problems such as insurance, taxes, extremely high cost of housing, etc. But for anyone planning on relocating north, I'd like you to know there's a bad side to that, too. I'm not sure why we don't talk about things like this more so others will know that it's not just occasional snow and cold that happen up north. (Maybe it's cause this is the FLORIDA thread and we try to stay focused many on Florida.)

I took a vacation day yesterday and went out for a walk. It isn't beautiful like the Christmas card scenes show. The snow is melting at a tremendous pace now and it's muddy everywhere you look. You have to be cautious and go to the side of the street when a car passed you or you'll be splashed full of water and mud. (Yes, many northern towns don't have sidewalks all over the city)The snow is dirty, the trees are bare, and thank Heavens we finally have a few birds singing. There are also so many worse things that can happen living up north that none of you have ever considered. I posted something on my own state board and I encourage you to go and read about it. It's pretty sad, but luckily everyone survived.
I had somewhat that same experience. I was in my teens the first time I saw snow and it was like you describe. It was not a Hallmark card white Christmas moment.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 36,090,532 times
It's good that you guys know firsthand what I'm talking about. It's not as pleasant and cozy as a lot of people think it is. We'd probably all like to have a light snowfall and 32 degrees over Christmas and then just have it disappear magically. As of now the only "winter" damage we've had is we need to replace our new screen door plus get a new track for the deck door. Snow and ice can really wreak havoc on things. I also posted on the SD board about a recent explosion in our town. That's something else that no one down there has to be concerned about cause you have no underground natural gas lines that I've heard of. In the past, it would've cost too much to have electric heat up here so many of us heat with natural gas. I just learned on here that Minn. also had the same situation recently. I'm also one who would rather put up with the heat then go through these rough winters. I keep telling my husband that we've lived here together for 35 years and we'll move down south for 35 years and if he still doesn't like it, we'll move back up here. Oh and I think I've depleted the supply of lotions that the factory had on hand.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM

14,499 posts, read 25,627,529 times
There are other places in-between. It is warm here already. Some people might love the weather in Kentucky/Tennessee. We don't get the intense humidity until June. If I were in S Florida right now I would be paying 600/month again for central air.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,954,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
There are other places in-between. It is warm here already. Some people might love the weather in Kentucky/Tennessee. We don't get the intense humidity until June. If I were in S Florida right now I would be paying 600/month again for central air.
It's still beautiful here in Orlando. I'm sitting here enjoying the cool evening breezes blowing in our 2nd floor office window. It got so cool downstairs that we had to close the windows. We haven't turned our AC on, yet. Hopefully, we'll have a couple more weeks without it. The weather right now is perfect. It's been in the 50's at night and warming up to the upper 70's in the day. Yesterday was the warmest in awhile, I think the high was 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida