Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times

Advertisements

I am starting this thread to find out what you guys think are the best suburbs in the State of Florida. This is not a "best cities" thread, so please do not list Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa, or Jacksonville as "suburbs." By "suburb," I mean a municipality or unincorporated area that is outside of one of the State's cities (listed above). There are no specific criteria that I want you to use; just make your nominations and explain why you nominate them. I don't intend to declare a "winner" here, this is just for fun.

I nominate:

Coral Gables - its name "The City Beautiful" is very fitting. The architecture in Coral Gables is stunning and the downtown area is one of the best in the State, with a plethora of shopping and dining options available. I love the free trolley service between downtown and the MetroRail, which gets you to Miami in just a few minutes.

Winter Park - this, in my opinion, is the nicest town in Central Florida. The downtown area is hands-down one of the best in the state and the buildings are unique and varied, providing architectural relief from the rest of cookie-cutter Orlando and its suburbs.

Windermere - another nice Central Florida town. Beautiful estate residences on the lakes.

Lighthouse Point - great area with a small-town feel outside of Fort Lauderdale. Consists of very nice, well-kept homes on a canal system running to the Intercoastal Waterway.

Miami Beach - though this is not a suburb of green lawns and single-family homes, it is a suburb of Miami nonetheless. Most tourists picture Miami Beach when they think of "Miami." Miami Beach, though a suburb with many full-time residents commuting to Miami and other nearby municipalities, contains South Beach, which is the most pedestrian-friendly neighborhood in all of Florida. So many shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues from which to choose, and ocean views, to boot!

Surfside - this is probably one of the most underrated places in all of South Florida. It's a quintessential beach town with a cute downtown area and plenty of smaller, well-kept homes. Feels like a small town by the sea.

My general criteria: walkable (pedestrian friendly), either has or is close to a nice downtown area with shops/restaurants, has nice public spaces/parks, has a decent school system, has varied/unique/non-monotonous architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM

268 posts, read 900,115 times
Good choices but... what about Daytona Beach Shores (cleanest, safest around, but a lot of old people) or Ponte Vedra Beach?

Golden Beach and Bal Harbour (very wealthy jewish communities).

Hey Crisp, if you had to chose in Miami, where would you live? CG or SB?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Good choices but... what about Daytona Beach Shores (cleanest, safest around, but a lot of old people) or Ponte Vedra Beach?

Golden Beach and Bal Harbour (very wealthy jewish communities).

Hey Crisp, if you had to chose in Miami, where would you live? CG or SB?
That would be a hard one for me. If I had children, I would live in a house in Coral Gables (excellent schools); if I did not have children I would live in a highrise on Miami Beach. Both are great choices, though. Since I am young and single, I would choose Miami Beach at this point in my life.

Bal Harbour is beautiful and is the next town north of Surfside. If I could afford a $15,000,000 mansion on the ocean, I would consider Golden Beach as well!

I have never been to Daytona Beach shores but have very briefly seen Ponte Vedra Beach - it is a nice-looking town.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 29,380 times
Try the Space Coast of Florida, Merritt Island, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, we have alot to offer in quality of life and excellent employers and low taxes

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,584 times
Using the criteria of "walkable (pedestrian friendly), either has or is close to a nice downtown area with shops/restaurants, has nice public spaces/parks, has a decent school system, has varied/unique/non-monotonous architecture."
Venice Florida has to be included in the list. Venice was designed by city planner John Nolan back in the 1920's. It's a very walkable/bikeable city. While there may be 2 homes that are alike most are custom. There is a nice walkable downtown, and the city is loaded with parks many are lushly landscaped. The elementary and high schools are located on the intra-coastal, the school activities are well supported by the community. We have great holiday parades. Free concerts, beach access for dogs, low crime, and a well respected hospital.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 AM

88 posts, read 193,739 times
Try Hobe Sound
far enough from west palm but close enough to get to.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1223 View Post
Try the Space Coast of Florida, Merritt Island, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, we have alot to offer in quality of life and excellent employers and low taxes

Thats what we understand. My husband and I have looked into some homes in the area. Space Coast area seems like its the "old town" Florida? We like Merritt and Mims too. Have heard some good and bad about Cocoa.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
I will add Jupiter to the list, subburb of West Palm Beach. Very family oriented, clean, low crime, good schools, a bit pricey, but even there you can find good bargains these days. Plus, you have a variety of housing options.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Wellington (West Palm Beach suburb) - The inner part of it (not the boring, generic areas near the Royal Palm Beach border/Mall at Wellington Green) has a unique feeling and the city's population actually seems to be diverse unlike other suburbs like Boca Raton. It's very clean and well-kept up to boot. Bravo.

Weston (Fort Lauderdale suburb) - Completely immaculate in appearance.

Parkland (Fort Lauderdale suburb) - Has a gorgeous appearance that's unlike many other cities in South Florida.

Doral (Miami suburb) - The people are very friendly and besides the industrial atmosphere it feels very well-kept up. I'm not sure why it gets so much hate on here, but Doral is not nearly as bad as the naysayers on this forum make it out to be.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Keep the responses coming, everyone. I am enjoying hearing what everyone's personal favorites are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida